watch positions

Thread: watch positions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

watch positions

Of all the various watch positions you can leave your watch overnight, is there one generally that slows the watch down the most for an automatic with the 2824-2. Thanks stephen
    https://www.instagram.com/whichwatchsk/

Re: watch positions

I would suggest you try placing your watch in a different position each night to see which slows the movement the most, if at all.

Not all movements are created equally - there are way too many variables.

Glen

Its really strange when you start playing with the watch position when you are not wearing it. My pro diver was gaining about 10 seconds per day as I was leaving it in the crown up position at night. I changed it to the dial down position and for the last three days it is running dead on. I did not think that would make such a difference unless there is something else going on. Stephen

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watchsk View Post
    Its really strange when you start playing with the watch position when you are not wearing it. My pro diver was gaining about 10 seconds per day as I was leaving it in the crown up position at night. I changed it to the dial down position and for the last three days it is running dead on. I did not think that would make such a difference unless there is something else going on. Stephen

Nope, that is what is going on. Not all movements are created equally. Some are less susceptible to positional variation, some are. Once you know how your auto or manual wind movement acts whilst off the wrist, you can essentially keep the timing spot-on throughout the week.

Have fun

Glen

I'm glad to have stumbled on this thread, as I have concerns that my recently acquired Ikarus is not keeping good time. I am hoping that this is 'user error' rather than something that needs to go back to Stowa to be looked at.

I'm using www.time.gov website to try and calibrate. Is there a preferred method of doing this?

Should I just set the watch now, then wear as normal and check again in 24 hours? Should I check more frequently than once a day?

Thanks

Here is a brief list of instructions to help guide you...

1. Wear the watch and be active for a few hours in the morning
    2. Then set the time dead-on to your measuring standard
    3. Wear the watch normally for the remainder of the day
    4. Check the time 8 hours later against that same standard to see how far off from dead on it is
    5. Note the difference - multiply by three and that will tell you pretty close how fast or slow it is in a 24 hour period while worn on the wrist
    6. At night, on different nights, rest the watch in a different position to see if it speeds or slows the movement against the time relative to where it is - note the time relative to that standard again
    7. Note the difference in the morning to see how much it's gained or lost depending upon which position you left it against that same standard.
    8. Keep a journal for a week to see how each resting position affects the speed +/-

Try 15 hours on the wrist each day, 9 resting.

That'll give you a pretty good idea of how the movement is running.

Normally, a regular automatic movement not wound enough will run very inconsistently, so it is best to test it over a week's time to see how it goes each day and ensure it is fully wound by being active.

Keep us in the loop as to how it turns out for you.

Glen
    Last edited by inlanding; February 11th, 2009 at 01:45.

Inlanding - thanks for the advice.

I started the process last night, at 21:30:00 I synced my watch with www.time.gov.

I had been wearing the watch all day and left the watch in the face up position. by 07:45:00 this morning, the watch was +1 second. No big deal. I then put the watch on and went to work.

At 10:15:00 (www.time.gov) the watch was showing 10:10:20 which is a loss of 4 mins and 40 seconds!

I will keep monitoring periodically each day over the next few days, but, I can't see the watch making up that kind of time without manual intervention, which puts me in a dillema - should I continue to wear a watch that's wrong, or manually intervene and keep monitoring from there?

The watch was made October 2007, so if my monitoring continues to show such wild irregularities, it will be going back to the nice people at Stowa. I really hope that this morning is just some strange exception!

it's now lost a little over 15 minutes for the day - something is definitely not right.

I think I'm going to let it run out of power, then start the process over, just to be really sure that I'm testing fairly.

Can anyone comment about how many turns of the crown this movement needs to be fully wound, from zero reserve?

....and things get stranger. Overnight, left face up, the watch kept consistent time. This morning I reset to the correct time and within 2 hours, I'd lost 10 minutes.

I've just rest it again, so we'll see what happens over the next few hours.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, to cause a watch to keep good time when flat but keep bad time while being worn?

Thanks!

That seems like quite a variation .I was dealing with 10 seconds a day, not the amount of time you are talking about. Maybe the movement got magnitized and that will wear off or maybe something is wrong with the movement. Dont rush to judgement though. Keep monitoring it for more days. Good luck. Stephen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information