Watches Running Fast

Thread: Watches Running Fast

Watches Running Fast

I received a new Antea 365 COSC (ordered for my wife) about six weeks ago, and after a month of accuracy at +1 daily, it sped up to about +7...

As many obsessives do, I tasted despair. (I know, but don't tell me that you haven't been there.)

I searched around and read, somewhat hidden in the middle of an endless discussion of whether COSC movements are worth the expense, that watches run faster when they are not adequately wound -- something that can easily happen with automatic watches.

I wound the watch by hand, and accuracy immediately improved to about +4.

Here's my question:

Short of recalibration, what can one do in the handling of a watch to maximize accuracy?

Re: Watches Running Fast

Sudden and dramatic changes in timekeeping are a symptom of a watch being magnetised. Can you think of anything that could have done this around the same time as the watch sped up?

I wouldn't know.

How would something get magnetized?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I did what I was supposed to do and searched the forum and found out that magnetization causes a much more drastic speedup than I experienced.

Also that it was forum contributor Inlanding who opined that under-winding caused speed-up.

Countered by t1026 who stabilized a too fast watch by letting it run completely down and then winding it only a little...

What I can't find is any focused discussion of the rules-of-thumb about stabilizing fast watches.......

Mostly panicked newbies like me bothering Regine Schauer about their malfunctioning watches.

Thread Information