What about a black MO with Flieger Hands?

Thread: What about a black MO with Flieger Hands?

What about a black MO with Flieger Hands?

What do you guys think? At the moment there's a Marine Automatic on ebay which looks to have flieger hands (without lume/hollow).

With the black dial of the new MO, combined with the blued hands w/ lume, this could look interesting. If I had endless amounts of time, I'd photoshop something but....maybe later.

The only awkward thing is the sub-seconds...would you go with the blue or white sub-secs hand? Blue would likely not show up too well.

I know this is unorthodox to say the least... a historical flieger should have the center secs. I'm simply talking aesthetics. And goofing off in Stowa land.

Re: What about a black MO with Flieger Hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfjohn View Post
    What do you guys think? At the moment there's a Marine Automatic on ebay which looks to have flieger hands (without lume/hollow).

With the black dial of the new MO, combined with the blued hands w/ lume, this could look interesting. If I had endless amounts of time, I'd photoshop something but....maybe later.

The only awkward thing is the sub-seconds...would you go with the blue or white sub-secs hand? Blue would likely not show up too well.

I know this is unorthodox to say the least... a historical flieger should have the center secs. I'm simply talking aesthetics. And goofing off in Stowa land.
    I'd like to see a black MO with lume like the the Dorblueth & Sohn 99.0 black dial...

WJ, personally, I think the flieger hands with the marine dial (black or white) doesn't work: the design elements clash.

The use of the spade hands (probably there is a more specific name for them) on the marines has a long history, not only on the original Stowa deck watch, but pretty much on every railroad-style pocketwatch going back to the late 19th-cent. This well-worked out design sensibility, together with Stowa's pitch-perfect modern update, is the reason so many find the watches beautiful. Try this as a thought experiment, or in P-shop: make the numerals larger or smaller, or bolder, or thinner. Adjust the size of the logo or its positioning. Make the railroad track wider or thinner. Try different hands. Every potential change, IMO, ends up worse. About the only thing I can identify to change is the location of the seconds subdial: it's not centered, because the movement is really designed for a larger case and the subdial ends up low. Stowa's Marine 6325 (alas, long gone) had the subdial perfectly positioned, because the movement was smaller. Dornblueth's 99.1 modifies (at significant labor and cost) the train in the Unitas to pull the subdial closer to the center, and makes it bigger as well.

Whew, got off on a tangent there. WJ, I like your ideas, keep 'em coming! If you're on a kick to suggest improvements to the black MOLE, maybe search for and examine other black-dialed marine-style watches. Off the top of my head, I can come up with:

Dornblueth 99.0 and 99.1
    Lange 1815
    IWC Portuguese

and see what you like/don't like about them.

My 2 cents:
    The applied numerals work well on the black dial, IMO, in a way that they don't for the white. I wonder if Joerg considered making ALL the numerals on the black MOLE polished/applied? If you seach you can find examples of black Dorns with fully applied silver, and red gold numerals. Killer look.

I'm back/forth on the lume for the black dial. I see the point, but I guess I prefer the cleaner contrast of the printed dial. Now, if you were to propose full, polished silver numerals, and lume on the hands only, I'd have to agree....

Regarding the back of the MOLE II, I wonder if Joerg considered adding unique touch, like the golden balance cock in the FOLE. Although this was not a feature of the white MOLE, I would argue that with the black/silver dial, a polished rhodium-plated balance cock with the fast/slow indexing engraved would nicely balance the design of the back with the front.

As much fun as this kibbitzing is, I gotta believe that the MOLE II's design isn't going to change. Watchbuys made the point that this LE is being offered at the same price the previous MOLE; given the increased prices for everything that goes into a Stowa, I doubt there is leeway for these types of enhancements.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not sure the flieger hands are the right fit, but I agree that the standard white hands on the black MO lack impact.

It would be nice if they would do the very similar field watch because that one has the lumed arabics, lumed dot 5 minute marks and thin sword hands with the railroad track edge. The subdial hand would be a simple short lumed stick. Please do this one next year Jorg!
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfjohn View Post
    It would be like a fish on a bicycle.
    Greetings,

Thread Information