Why people ridicule Stowa but not other brands?
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why people ridicule Stowa but not other brands?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why people ridicule Stowa but not other brands?

Someone throw this comment in another forum:

"Stowa has very little to do with the company that created watches pre WWII as it was bought in 1996 basically just for its name."

My take is:

Despite people say Stowa is not the same as the original company, it is indeed faithfully following the original Stowa DNA and taking over by Jorg Schauer (an award winning watchmaker) from Werner Storz, two years before he passed away. Note: Werner Storz is the son of stowa founder, Walter Storz.

Even Sinn is no longer under Helmut Sinn family when he sold the company to IWC engineer Lothar Schmidt in 1994. But that doesn't make Sinn a lesser brand. Many brands is like that, just take a look at those conglomerate like Richemond group.

But why people ridicule Stowa and not e.g. Sinn?

What do you think? And how will you reply him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    yvrclimber likes this.

Re: Why people ridicule Stowa but not other brands?

So with the same logic, Breguet is a lesser brand now since it was taken over by Swatch in 1999... (after several changes in ownership).

It's ridiculous... companies are bought and sold all the time.

What is important is that they continue to operate in a way that is true to the heritage and the brand.
    Stowa does that. As does Breguet.

Quote Originally Posted by hidden830726 View Post
    Someone throw this comment in another forum:

"Stowa has very little to do with the company that created watches pre WWII as it was bought in 1996 basically just for its name."

Even Sinn is no longer under Helmut Sinn family when he sold the company to IWC engineer Lothar Schmidt in 1994. But that doesn't make Sinn a lesser brand. Many brands is like that, just take a look at those conglomerate like Richemond group.

But why people ridicule Stowa and not e.g. Sinn?

What do you think? And how will you reply him?
    I put very little stock in that person's statement. Unfortunately; one or two people out there might be influenced by the offhand remark, and it would truly be a shame. I own one Stowa watch and am in the process of purchasing another. Why? Because the watches are impeccably-made, they represent great value for the price, Stowa honors the past very well while incorporating contemporary technology, AND the customer service is simply stupendous. Although I wasn't around to experience the early days of Stowa, I have to believe that it's a better company today than ever. In the spirit of balanced opinion, I hope that this viewpoint gets as much attention as that person's comment did.
    jarlleif, whineboy and sefrcoko like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

eh!? I really like Stowa. who is ridiculing them?
    You know what is rubbish? Blancpain
    also even A. L&S is a new company.
    whineboy likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Laco has its own world.

What does stowa have?!
    Vetinari67 likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

First of all I would not care.

If I had to I’d point out that the brand did not face a „time out“ at any time since 1927, whoever the owner was.

And maybe if I am in the mood I‘d add what I added already in 2006

To own a Schauer or Stowa watch for me means to own something special.
    Jörg Schauer isn´t a watchmaker he´s a watch maker (quote taken from iW magazine in April 2006 because I like it and the quote is true).

Jörg Schauer/Stowa stands for
    * exclusivity (in regard to the relatively small annual output)
    * special design
    * passion (Jörg´s passion is to produce fine timepieces) and enthusiasm
    * quality (you´ll hardly find someone who has complaints regarding quality)
    * excellent customer service (read this forum )

Stowa also stands for "Pride". Like iW pointed out: Pride in his location is something else that characterizes Jörg Schauer. Pforzheim has a long tradition of watchmaking and Jörg became part of it.

With every Stowa you are buying a watch which is Made in Germany, furthermore it´s made with a special kind of understanding/combination of watchmaking, tradion and craftsmanship - they are made by sense and sensibilty.
    harrym71, P.J.M., sefrcoko and 9 others like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

It's a case of some people using the same brush all the time.

There are cases where older brands have been purchased for any residual name value, while their product catalog is...shall we say, uninspired. Some therefore seem to figure that *all* such cases are merely attempts to capitalize.

It's kinda similar to the pedigree kool-aid. Companies like Nomos are dissed because they haven't been around 100+ years.

All of us have our preferences. With many of us, these rise to prejudices. With some, it rises to, essentially, bigotry towards those who fail the test. It's not enough to say, no, that's not something I want; it's necessary to attack, or disinform. It's not pretty, but we've all got our flaws and warts.

So a statement such as the one cited by the OP just calls for some personal fact-checking. Stowa has a solid rep here; they're one of the most recommended brands in this range. There will always be the occasional clueless git, or attack dog, out there.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    First of all I would not care.

If I had to I’d point out that the brand did not face a „time out“ at any time since 1927, whoever the owner was.

And maybe if I am in the mood I‘d add what I added already in 2006

To own a Schauer or Stowa watch for me means to own something special.
    Jörg Schauer isn´t a watchmaker he´s a watch maker (quote taken from iW magazine in April 2006 because I like it and the quote is true).

Jörg Schauer/Stowa stands for
    * exclusivity (in regard to the relatively small annual output)
    * special design
    * passion (Jörg´s passion is to produce fine timepieces) and enthusiasm
    * quality (you´ll hardly find someone who has complaints regarding quality)
    * excellent customer service (read this forum )

Stowa also stands for "Pride". Like iW pointed out: Pride in his location is something else that characterizes Jörg Schauer. Pforzheim has a long tradition of watchmaking and Jörg became part of it.

With every Stowa you are buying a watch which is Made in Germany, furthermore it´s made with a special kind of understanding/combination of watchmaking, tradion and craftsmanship - they are made by sense and sensibilty.

This is so well put and says everything better than I could say it, Mike.

I'll just add this:

I've owned four Stowas now (still have 3 - the only reason I sold my Marine Original is because I decided it wasn't the EXACT version of the MO I really wanted, so a new one will join my collection again soon) -

There are very few watches in the price range that can be compared in terms of quality and design, and when you add in Stowa's almost unmatched customer service I find it very hard to provide direct comparisons.

If the swipe against Stowa is that someone that isn't a blood-relative of the founder now owns it, that's no insult at all. Breguet is owned by a publicly traded company. Lange has the sins of being both a "revival brand" AND owned by a holding company. Does it matter?

If the swipe against Stowa were to mean anything, than it would be a swipe against Lange and Breguet doubly. It is simply nonsense.

I own several of Jorg's creations and could care less what some internet troller says about them. Buy what you like and enjoy it!
    stuffler,mike likes this.

Let's ridicule companies that do a bad job and depend on name recognition. *cough GUCCI, Invicta, DanielWellington*
    Nomos is awesome. Stowa is awesome.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information