Will I ever find a used Fliegier or Marine I can afford
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Will I ever find a used Fliegier or Marine I can afford

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Will I ever find a used Fliegier or Marine I can afford

Hey friends,
    I have been waiting about 2 months to buy my first Automatic watch. I have been looking at various Fliegiers and Military style watches in the 38-40mm size range, ones that looks great on leather and maybe a Nato strap at times. After almost buying a few at the local watch store, I stumbled upon Stowas. My price range maxes out at about 500$. I want to wear the watch daily and it may be roughed up a bit but it will become a part of my life.My limit is set here not just because of what I can afford (i'm 27 and live on 1600 a month in San Francisco) but also my profession. I work with homeless youth directly on the street and I think I would have a hard time having such a huge chunk of change on my wrist. Of course no one but the people here on the forum will ever no how much a Stowa really costs, but the thought of shaking hands all day with a new 1000$ flieger watch still irks me. The one flieger I tracked on ebay went for 750$. Is this normal? With all that said, will I ever find my Stowa used in my price range or should I just give up and search for a Hamilton or a Archimede (i think i would have a hard time getting any other pilot than a Stowa since I am looking for a 40 or smaller and don't care much for the very traditional flieger crown). Thanks for any and all help. Thanks for reading this far.

Re: Will I ever find a used Fliegier or Marine I can afford

Dear Clay,

I think you will have a hard time finding a Stowa in the five hundred dollar price range, they are in great demand and thus hold their value! I think that maybe your best bet would be to look at other brands that while not up to the Stowa standard are still fine watches in their own right. You can try to wait a little longer and see what comes up for sale used. I know you will find something you like even if not a Stowa!

I understand your situation, I have a brother who lives in the Russian Hill area of San Francisco and it is very expensive!

Good Luck in finding the watch that is right for you,

Ren

They might not know how much it costs, but any watch with a nice large dial and heavy leather strap is going to look like something worth stealing if you come across the wrong person. I would wear a cheap department store watch when you work, and save the good watch for home and weekend wear.

That said, Archimede is a good choice. They make a 39mm pilot watch in your price range. IMO Archimede is a good 70% of the quality of a Stowa and coincidentally approx. 30% cheaper than Stowa.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear Gb,

It's in that last 30% of refinement that you go from a good watch to a superior watch!!! Just sayun!

Ren

I've been looking at the Archimede, is there an easy way to replace that diamond shaped crown?

Quote Originally Posted by claywatch View Post
    I've been looking at the Archimede, is there an easy way to replace that diamond shaped crown?
    How about asking Archimede? They should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Renisin View Post
    Dear Gb,

It's in that last 30% of refinement that you go from a good watch to a superior watch!!! Just sayun!

Ren
    Picky, picky. :)

Quote Originally Posted by claywatch View Post
    You might want to consider one from their Vintage line. They are designed after the 20s pilot watch, and are a much more elegant watch than the fliegers IMO. Asthetically they fit between the flieger and marine deck watch. They have the onion crown you prefer.

I'd go for the Archie. They're really nice watches and will give you great satisfaction while staying in your budget. I heard something earlier this year about them bringing out their "historical" flieger in a 38 mm size. Their H flieger is really very nice, more like 80-90% of a Stowa in my opinion, but up til now it's been available in 42 mm only, if I am not mistaken. Perhaps Herr Stuffler or someone else in the know will correct me or add detail.

Best of Luck,

Myron
    Kind Regards,

Myron

Sorry to derail so far off course but I think I found a watch that meets most of my requirements; the Aristo Titan:

I like the no logo face with Ti case. There B model is handsome too. For everyday use though will this mineral crystal be a bad idea? The more research I do the more hands point back to Stowa. Thank you everyone for your time.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 2nd, 2011 at 12:25.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information