Battery replacement tutorial for Seiko 7t32-Pulsar/Epson y182

Thread: Battery replacement tutorial for Seiko 7t32-Pulsar/Epson y182

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery replacement tutorial for Seiko 7t32-Pulsar/Epson y182

Having several variants of these watches with this particular movement, and being a fairly good tinkerer, I do my own repairs within my limitations. These particular movements give a warning when the battery needs to be replaced. The warning is the typical "Seiko low battery two-step" The timekeeping second hand advances two seconds at a time. When the watch does this it is time to replace the battery. Despite being a complex movement, battery replacement is fairly easy and straight-forward, so it is not difficult at all.

Step one:
    Using the proper tools(case wrench or case knife depending on whether the watch has a screw-down or a snap-on caseback)remove the caseback.

This is what you should be looking at:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step two:
    Once the watch is opened remove the battery. This can be done different ways. The way I do it is like this, gently lift the battery contacts(very gently as not to bend the prongs. One prong is the battery contact the other is for the alarm signal for these watches)slide the battery out of it's position either with your fingers or the aid of a pair of tweezers could be helpful.

Again, this is what you should be looking at:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step three:
    Once the battery has been removed, check the contacts for signs of corrosion. If there are signs of corrosion or battery leakage, this needs to be cleaned out. This can be done using a small cotton swab and a little denatured alcohol. If at this point the corrosion or battery leakage looks severe, the watch should be sent to a qualified professional for service or repair. If there is little or no corrosion, once cleaned, you are ready to re-install the new battery. If the contacts were cleaned make sure they are dry before installing the new battery. The battery required for this movement is a SR-927/395.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step four:
    Installing the new battery. This is done very much like removing the battery, only in reverse. Gently lift the contacts and slide the new battery into position positive(+) side up.

It should look like this:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    After installing the new battery, the movement may or may not spring to life. If the movement does not start right up, do not dispair, it merely needs to be reset.

Step five:
    Resetting the movement. If the movement does not come to life after installing the new battery it will need to be reset. This is easily done by touching the "AC"(All Clear) contact with the positive(+) side of the battery. This can be done using a small gauge wire, paperclip, or fine point tweezers.

Like this.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step six:
    Once the battery is installed and the watch has been reset and is now running it's time to replace the caseback and reset the features of the watch. Usually when I re-install the caseback on any watch I open I like to put a little waterproof grease on the gasket. This keeps the gasket pliable and helps with water resistance. Resetting the features can be found by following this link:
    http://www.geocities.com/watch_crazy.../seiko7t32.htm

This pretty much concludes this DIY tutorial. I do wish to say that I am not a watchmaker and I do my own repairs at my own risk. That being said, by following these instructions and the watch still does not work it should be sent to a qualified professional for service or repair.

Credits:
    Watch and pics are Dennis Lacey's. Graphics and link provided by Matt(aka.Crossfeed).

Cheers!
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by OldHippie1968; September 8th, 2009 at 20:53. Reason: Attached thumbnails

Re: Battery replacement tutorial for Seiko 7t32-Pulsar/Epson y182

Do both battery prongs press against the battery, or does one stick up & contact the case back? I ask because the alarm function isn't working on my 7T32, but it's also currently in low-battery mode (which I know may explain it as well).

Quote Originally Posted by stevemcqueen2011 View Post
    Do both battery prongs press against the battery, or does one stick up & contact the case back? I ask because the alarm function isn't working on my 7T32, but it's also currently in low-battery mode (which I know may explain it as well).
    A little late to the party on this but:

The alarm contact is the small, gold plated, one marked in the photo below. From memory, it's a "loose" contact and may well have dropped out either when you opened the case or on a previous battery change.

One other point from the original post, the correct battery for this calibre should be an SR927W ("high drain") not SW(low drain). The 3xx number is 399, not 395. Using a low drain won't be a problem for normal use but will lead to a big drop in battery life if the alarm and / or chrono functions are used regularly

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response. The watch was acting weird, the second hand appeared to be sticking at first. The alarm time kept functioning as expected. I thought it would be best to send it in, to be repaired. A few weeks later I received notice that the fix would be to "fully refurbish" the watch, at a cost of $214. I opted to have the watch returned to me, at a cost of ~$22 for the diagnosis. I placed the watch into a drawer for a few weeks, taking it out every so often to see if the watch fixed itself. One day, I looked at the watch and it was exhibiting the classic "low battery" indicator of moving every 2 seconds, however it was still sticking after ~30seconds. After pulling the crown out and pushing it back in, it began again but then stopped after 30 seconds again. At this time I realized the problem could be a low battery, and removed the back plate. When the plate was off, the watch operated, but with the back on the watch stuck again.After replacing the battery, the watch now works normally.

Thank you both for the instructional guide. I may have put in the "wrong" battery per your response, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    A little late to the party on this but:

The alarm contact is the small, gold plated, one marked in the photo below. From memory, it's a "loose" contact and may well have dropped out either when you opened the case or on a previous battery change.

One other point from the original post, the correct battery for this calibre should be an SR927W ("high drain") not SW(low drain). The 3xx number is 399, not 395. Using a low drain won't be a problem for normal use but will lead to a big drop in battery life if the alarm and / or chrono functions are used regularly

I have this Seiko watch and really enjoyed it until the battery died and I replaced it. Now I can not get the watch to run in normal mode. It will do the stop watch watch function, the alarm works but the second hand will not run like I said, in normal mode. I tried shorting the + of the battery to the indicated pin in the above description. It is almost impossible to avoid touching the case while inserting a small paper clip to touch the recessed pin, is this where I'm not able to reset the watch? HELP!!!

Are you sure that the battery you put in is good? I've had my battery go within 18 months, it might just be and old/bad battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnieboy2 View Post
    I have this Seiko watch and really enjoyed it until the battery died and I replaced it. Now I can not get the watch to run in normal mode. It will do the stop watch watch function, the alarm works but the second hand will not run like I said, in normal mode. I tried shorting the + of the battery to the indicated pin in the above description. It is almost impossible to avoid touching the case while inserting a small paper clip to touch the recessed pin, is this where I'm not able to reset the watch? HELP!!!

Yes, the battery is fresh and correct #, it would not run in normal time keeping mode from the start, but the other functions work fine with the push buttons. Did the reset with the shorting pin, still will not run in normal mode. It's a shame this watch poses so many issues related to just changing the battery, seems like a bad design to me and a big disappointment. Leads me to stay away from Seiko in the future.
    Last edited by Johnnieboy2; July 17th, 2013 at 23:48.

FYI: I just figured out that the Energizer 399 batteries are slightly different shaped on the bottom of the battery - I wasn't able to get it to fit in to my 7T32. I tried a Renata 399 and it worked fine.

Many thanks for your very clear instructions. I will now fix my watch.

Help !!! Can anyone tell me how to do the "all clear" trick on a Miyota OS 20 movement. I can't find a darn thing on the net but I have been told it can be done. There are 6 contacts on the OS 20 labelled A1 thru A6 with a picture of a square wave by each one. Thanks, Clive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information