Hacking/Handwinding SKX Tips
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hacking/Handwinding SKX Tips

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hacking/Handwinding SKX Tips

For anyone considering a Seiko SKX hacking/handwinding upgrade, please see the tips I learned from my latest adventure. Most of these will not be news to experienced folks, but newbies like myself may appreciate them. A few links are provided for additional info, but most parts can be sourced from a variety of dealers.

1. A 6r15 hacking/handwinding movement will fit in a Seiko SKX case. In fact, for a short time, Seiko made several SARB models using the SKX case and 6r15 movement with a unique bezel/dial/hands/chapter ring. Link: http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikosarf...h/?MOD=SARB061

2. You can’t buy a new Seiko-branded 6r15 movement online from a dealer, but Seiko makes the movement available under its unbranded Hattori line as the NE15 (not the NH15) Link: Hattori / SII NE Series Japanese Movement, -- NE15: Star Time Supply

3. A new movement will not come with the correct dial-holding spacer, but the spacer used to hold the 7S26 movement will fit perfectly. The part number is 4408171. Note, you will need to remove the date wheel to properly fit the spacer. Follow the steps used for removing the spacer from the 7s26 movement used in the SKX, and you should be fine. Link: Nicholas Hacko Watchmaker DIY Seiko 7S26 Sydney

4. The signed “S” crown/stem for a SARB061 will fit both the 6r15/NH15 and the SKX case. The part number is 1E70D1SNSO. Link: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/sar...1089291-2.html

5. If you replace a stock SKX crystal, you can reuse the crystal gasket that came with the watch. If you are building a watch from scratch, you will need to buy a proper gasket because aftermarket crystals do not come with gaskets. The part is 8660 0630. Link: https://crystaltimes.net/shop/all/misc/ct405/

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SKX009J / SKX007K / SKX171 / Marathon T-SAR / G-Shock 7900B

Re: Hacking/Handwinding SKX Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Hardscrabbler View Post
    A 6r15 hacking/handwinding movement will fit in a Seiko SKX case. (... )You can’t buy a new Seiko-branded 6r15 movement online from a dealer, but Seiko makes the movement available under its unbranded Hattori line as the NE15 (not the NH15).
    I am currently considering hacking/handwinding mod, but I thought that 4r36/nh36 is the only option because 6r15 is date-only movement, not day-date (correct me if I'm wrong). Have you transfered some parts from 7s26 to add day feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan View Post
    I am currently considering hacking/handwinding mod, but I thought that 4r36/nh36 is the only option because 6r15 is date-only movement, not day-date (correct me if I'm wrong). Have you transfered some parts from 7s26 to add day feature?
    The mod I built is date only. I’m not sure if this movement has a day option.

humphrj likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hardscrabbler View Post
    The mod I built is date only. I’m not sure if this movement has a day option.
    Ooooh... it's very nice

6r15 doesn't have day option, but I know that it can be added. Unfortunately, I can't find tutorial for that mod.
    humphrj likes this.

To fit a day wheel and dial with day and date window you need to do the following.

With the dial still off, you'll see the hour wheel on the ne15 has a higher profile on it's base against the 7s26. So they need to be swapped. You will also need to borrow the tiny white plastic wheel from the 7s26.

The real hurdle though is the crown/stem. If you can still find any sarb059 crowns please pm me. I used up my stock (used to be able to get them for £30) and have been looking for months, as I believe Seiko discontinued the part.

I'm currently testing 3 different aftermarket crowns for suitability. The first (a jumbo crown from dragonshroud) worked but doesn't look right unless you're doing a TST John 'the Tiger' Bentley mod.
    The second, a double gasketted one blew the crystal under pressure testing in spectacular fashion. I have 2 others to try in the next week or so.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by humphrj; April 30th, 2018 at 09:55.

Does Rob from monster watches still sell the sarb crown? I'm looking to upgrade my skx007 to the nh36a movement as well but the signed crown he is selling I think is only for the 7s26. Anyone know if that is untrue and that his signed crown will fit the nh36?

I got my signed crown from The Bay because I could not find it anywhere else.

Also looking for a sarb059 crown :/ this crown
    Is from Artifice HoroWorks. Works well for the nh36 swap.
    Looks stock just a little longer.

Crystaltimes has just produced some triple sealed crowns suitable for a cut and filed stem for SKX hacking and handwinding upgrade. May not be on website quite yet but very soon.

Sarb059 crowns are shown as discontinued on watch and clock Materials houses websites. So I think you'll be very lucky to find one at a reasonable price.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Nice work OP, is that Alpinist bezel unidirectional and does it click?

BTW the SARB059 signed crown is now available. A couple of sellers are selling in eBay. Just got mine.

Also I had the impression that the JDM 6R15D model can be sourced out if you have the right channel. I guess they are available for the guys who are in business. So if you go to the legit modders they may be able to get you one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information