Help with installing sapphire crystal on Seiko SKX

Thread: Help with installing sapphire crystal on Seiko SKX

Help with installing sapphire crystal on Seiko SKX

I recently purchased a sapphire double dome crystal for my skx007 (It's actually an skx171 with a skx007 bezel.) through dlwwatches.com. I do have a crystal press at home, but I was worried about compromising the crystal gasket so I took it to a reputable watch repair in town. The repair guy couldn't install the crystal properly and informed me that it had "pinched" the crystal gasket. He told me that he wouldn't be able to replace the gasket until a new one came in. Being impatient, I got the watch back and ordered my own OEM crystal gasket. Unfortunately, when I tried to install the crystal at home, the exact same thing happened again!!!

Now, I'm a very careful person and did a lot of reading and watching videos before attempting the installation. I used silicon grease and really took my time with the procedure.

I did notice that the sapphire crystal that I received from dlwwatches.com has a less significant bevel on the bottom compared to the bevel of the OEM hardlex crystal. Is the always the case with aftermarket crystals or does this even matter?

As one can imagine, I'm pretty frustrated at this point and don't know what to do. The OEM crystal gaskets cost $10-$15 so this can end up being a big waste of cash if I keep trying to install. For the time being, I have it haphazardly installed with an aftermarket gasket that the repair guy gave me. The crystal pinched this one too, and as a result is sitting uneven. I understand that this compromises the WR of the watch and therefore I wont be wearing it in the water until I get this issue resolved. I posted a pic below so you can see how the crystal is sitting uneven atm.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4626.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	1168 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	12335277
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4629.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	1138 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	12335279

Re: Help with installing sapphire crystal on Seiko SKX

Quote Originally Posted by goodfishfrancis View Post

I used silicon grease
    Don't use!

I always seat my crystal gasket into the case then press the crystal in. Never had trouble doing it that way. And you don't need any grease on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

some crystals have more of a bevel too and that makes it easier. Dagaz ones for example are nice that way

I have found, through much trial and angst, that the DLW crystals sometimes do not seat well at all, compared to Crystaltimes, etc., which always seem to go right in and fit perfect.
    The DLW just seem a hair big, and depending on the Seiko tolerance, which I have found can also have issues, they just won't go in all the way and level. Almost imperceptible but its there.

JAA

I've experienced it. On my recent restoration, I tried to install a new crystal but it fit too tight and damaged the gasket. On a retry, the new crystal still fit too tight so I reinstalled the original.

If the crystal is installed uneven or not fully seated, it may suddenly fall out.

Except for using OEM with correct part number, some watchmakers would order 3 different replacement crystal sizes (original size, +0.1mm, -0.1mm); install the one that fits best. In your case, the crystal won't fit correctly because it's too big. You may want to send it back to the seller. The variation is less than 0.05mm, hard to detect with a regular caliper.
    Last edited by JAA; July 13th, 2019 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by cold_beer839 View Post
    I always seat my crystal gasket into the case then press the crystal in. Never had trouble doing it that way. And you don't need any grease on it.
    Indeed, I always make sure that the new crystal is perfectly level under light pressure from the crystal press. It's always odd how the old pops out with a loud crack and the new one always seats sitently :)

Thread Information