Help removing back and crystal from Seiko 5 6619-8060

Thread: Help removing back and crystal from Seiko 5 6619-8060

Question Help removing back and crystal from Seiko 5 6619-8060

Hi, I bought an inexpensive 1967 Seiko 5 Sportsmatic 6619-8060 with the hopes to replace the crystal and try to clean the dial to bring it back to life. It appears to keep time properly. I'm new to watch repair, so I was a bit stumped to see the case back not have any screw notches to remove the back and the movement. And no visible notch to pry it up. And the crystal also seems to be held down by a bezel, with no obvious notch to clearly lift it up from the top.

If any knows, could someone kindly help me understand the high level approach to getting both the case back and the crystal off? Do I pry them off? Do I press the crystal off with a crystal press?

Thanks much for your help!
    Name:  seiko-6619-crystal.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  769.5 KBName:  seiko-6619-back.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  879.3 KB

Seth

Re: Help removing back and crystal from Seiko 5 6619-8060 F

Quote Originally Posted by sethpnc View Post
    Hi, I bought an inexpensive 1967 Seiko 5 Sportsmatic 6619-8060 with the hopes to replace the crystal and try to clean the dial to bring it back to life. It appears to keep time properly. I'm new to watch repair, so I was a bit stumped to see the case back not have any screw notches to remove the back and the movement. And no visible notch to pry it up. And the crystal also seems to be held down by a bezel, with no obvious notch to clearly lift it up from the top.

If any knows, could someone kindly help me understand the high level approach to getting both the case back and the crystal off? Do I pry them off? Do I press the crystal off with a crystal press?

Thanks much for your help!
    Name:  seiko-6619-crystal.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  769.5 KBName:  seiko-6619-back.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  879.3 KB

Seth

Hi the best thing to do is to have a good look with a loupe and see it there are any marks from being opened in the past, Failing that, There is always that it is a monobloc case ie one where the movement is fitted from the front then the acrylic (glass) is filtted. If so the stem is in two parts (look up split stems) and the button pops off allowing the movement to be removed. But if that is the case you will need a glass lifter which fits round the glass circumference and is screwed up to compress the sides allowing you to lift the glass out. Be careful and try not to pry anything off.

I've been out of the game for a while and the first thing that caught my eye was a few 6619s in the fixer-upper box which is why I'm currently in 6619 territory.

Bit late to the party but I have some input so I thought I'd share for anybody with the same problem who comes here googling for "6619" like I did. Personally, my problem was the pinging spring/day wheel jumper and where to put it back when I didn't see where it pinged out from - have to say it is an evil little bugger to get back in knowing it will try to make a break for it at the least provocation. I digress..

So for the front..
    There will be a tiny "nick" in the bezel (at 12 o'clock if it has never been opened, all bets off if it has been opened before!)

I use a Stanley knife blade held *in* this nick while cupping the body in the hand - not on the bench or against something solid, obviously. Then give it quick, short whack with you hand absorbing most of the impact. Need to be careful both with your fingers (obviously) and the case - you don't want it on the case body when you hit the blade - it has to be right in nick...

My dad used the technique to get in to pocket watches and I have to say I'm in these in a flash now.. You will almost certainly need a press to get it back on, however. There are a few other marques which have the same type. A recent Actus 6106-6400 project had the same bezel holding on the crystal and came off with this technique.

The back is usually a standard press-on (as this one in the post is although I do have a proper screw-on 6619) which should just require a good case knife to get in AND a press to get it back on.

Just a note. Some cases are solid stainless and some (I have two) are made of some kind of chrome plated base metal mush which goes distinctly chedder-esqe once the plating has gone. If you have one of those you have to be really careful popping the press-on type back. I've seen a few other seikos marques with chunks taken out of the back because of this.

On a brighter note - maybe because these are so difficult to get into few people try - all mine have gorgeous dials! Maybe the Indiania Jones faff to get in is designed to protect the treasures within....

Name:  20200106_112748.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  3.50 MB
    Name:  20200130_131054.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  3.10 MB

Name:  dials.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  538.0 KB
    Name:  20200130_113236.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  3.54 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Removed duplicate post
    Last edited by luaprg; January 31st, 2020 at 13:06. Reason: Removed duplicate post

Thread Information