How to dismantle a Seiko 5T52 world timer ?

Thread: How to dismantle a Seiko 5T52 world timer ?

How to dismantle a Seiko 5T52 world timer ?

Hello,

Newly joined the forums, although I've often looked at them prior to registering.

I've built up a little collection over the last year or so, including among other things three Age of Discovery watches (5T52-7A11 world timer, 7T36-7A10 moonphase chronograph and 5Y22-6059 which is less interesting to me as I find it a bit too feminine for my tastes, but the condition is like new!), a 6106-865G DX with a cool purple-tinted crystal over a blue face, a nice and unusual 7F18-7000 (also like new - I was happy with that find!) and similar Citizen moonphases 2180 and 6185 (still after a 2870).

However the 5T52 world timer I bought was faulty, and long story short the best I could do was have a token amount refunded by the seller. Which makes what I paid more accurately reflect the condition it's in ('perfect working condition' he said...Clearly without actually testing it...) however that doesn't fix it. I would like to get it working if possible. On the bright side, it's in very good cosmetic condition, hardly any of the usual pitting which tends to plague the age of discovery series cases.

Basically, the top buttons on the left and right that control the world timer don't work. The rest appears to do what it should.
    Except on occasion - rare occasion - they have worked. Which gives me hope that perhaps the module isn't necessarily faulty and if I'm lucky it's just a case of dirty contacts wanting cleaning.

I feel silly, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the two crowns (either of them) to take the module out of the case and check/clean these contacts, and rather than forcing things and potentially breaking them I thought it wiser to go on here and hope that somebody else has the answer. I've tried pushing various things that look like they may possibly be push-spots for crown removal, but can't get them to come out and don't want to insist. Any help here would be much appreciated. And if it does end up being a dodgy module... Well hey, at least I'll know for sure. It's still a nice looking watch.

Other than that I also have a 7T36 (in silver with white face and blue/black dials, to differentiate it nicely to the world timer) which works perfectly, but is missing the bottom left button (least important, for chronograph intervals which I never use anyway) and although it's present and works, the main crown is pretty battered and bent and really could do with replacing... Not sure if it's the same in the inside as the other age of discovery watches (on the outside at least it's the same as the world timer) but if anybody happens to have a dead one they'd be willing to sell these parts from I'd be grateful, it would be nice to bring it back to what it once was and make it complete again.

Dan

Name:  watches.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  1.77 MB

Re: How to dismantle a Seiko 5T52 world timer ?

Figured it out! A magnifying glass made the push-bits obvious (sigh)

Thread Information