How to fix misaligned minute hand, Seiko SSG007

Thread: How to fix misaligned minute hand, Seiko SSG007

How to fix misaligned minute hand, Seiko SSG007

Greetings, one and all . . .

I have and kind of love the Seiko SSG007, which is the Prospex radio-controlled, solar-charged chronograph with pilot bezel and in Patriots jet livery. It works just fine (though I'd be happier with baton hands instead of the 60s-necktie ones that cover too much of the subsidiary dials, and it would be nice to assign a second timezone to the 24-hour subdial). Problem is, the minute hand is aligned 10-15 seconds slow. Strange as this may seem, it drives me crazy.

There is supposedly something in the movement that correctly aligns the hands at 12, twice a day. But no, it doesn't in this case. I got the watch used, and I think somebody has been inside it. Anyway, the minute hand needs to be two ticks of the mechanism faster than it is and has been since I got it in January. Is there some way of adjusting this without taking the watch apart?

Thanks in advance.

JAA

Re: How to fix misaligned minute hand, Seiko SSG007

You said the minute hand is "...10-15 seconds slow," but you also said "the minute hand needs to be two ticks of the mechanism faster than it is.." So it's not clear exactly how the hands are misaligned.

This is a complicated watch; look through the owner's manual to see if it addresses the problem you're seeing. Check page 55 on how to fix a "Improper Function" and the section on "Troubleshooting."

https://www.optura.se/Files/Manualer...iko/8B92_E.pdf

Many quartz chronographs need a realignment procedure once in a while; sometimes after a battery change. Perhaps this is what happened.
    Last edited by JAA; October 10th, 2019 at 03:39.

Thanks very much for the reply. I suppose I should have been clearer: the watch moves the minute hand slightly -- minutely? -- every five or six seconds. The minute hand is slow, which is to say that it specifies a time that is 10-15 seconds, or two or three of those slight movements, behind the actual time and behind the time specified by the second hand. The hand is therefore slow by two or three of those little 5-second ticks. Which is what I meant by needing to make it a couple of ticks faster. It is unlikely that the watch has had its battery replaced, in that it is a solar-powered movement and therefore it's unlikely its battery has been replaced, ever.

While there is a procedure in the manual for adjusting the alignment of the hands, it has not worked the times I have employed it, which is what leads me to believe it may have been fiddled with. I was hoping that someone here is familiar with the radio controlled solar time Seiko Prospex SSG series of watches and might know of a way to realign the minute hand without my having to take it apart or send it to someone who will take it apart. The manual claims that the procedure described will align hands moved out of position by, for instance, dropping the watch. In that it doesn't work, I'm supposing that the watch thinks the minute hand is properly alighned when in fact it isn't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JAA

Sounds like the main minute hand is very slightly off, so that it's not exactly at each minute mark when the sweep second hand reaches "12."

You may be right that it may have been worked on by the previous owner; or was not perfect when it left the factory. Installing watch hands at that level of precision takes practice and skill. Some of us amateur hobbyist would settle for "good enough."

Perhaps others have more insight, but I think this is not fixable by the pushing buttons and turning the crown.
    Last edited by JAA; October 10th, 2019 at 07:12.

Quote Originally Posted by depscribe View Post
    Problem is, the minute hand is aligned 10-15 seconds slow.
    It's easy to re-align, I recommend that you bring it to a watch shop - some that change batteries are actually good for minor work.

Thread Information