I want to buy battery for Seiko Astron 7X52

Thread: I want to buy battery for Seiko Astron 7X52

Maxell CLB2016 3.7V Rechargeable
    Where else can I buy this ?
    Thank You :D

I emailed or called seiko usa, pacparts, esslinger and maxell Japan and none could find one. None have been sold on eBay, at least recently
    There is no equivalent battery in the world, it seems...
    Seiko usa told me to try seiko Japan, which I haven't done yet.
    Have you had any luck in your search?

Re: I want to buy battery for Seiko Astron 7X52

Available below, for an high price.
    https://shop.akku-haug.de/Maxell-Kno...hne::5334.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had the same issue and Google searches returned nothing useful. As of tonight, here is what I have done.

- Bought a couple of LIR2016 rechargeable batteries from Amazon. Description:

"New 2 x Rechargeable LIR2016 LIR 2016 3.6V Button Cell" by Gernal

- Opened the watch. Using a small flat head screw driver, removed the plate that holds the battery down. Gently peeled off the white sticker (need later).

- Using the head of the small screw driver and applying counter pressure from the other side using my fingers, gently broke free the two small spot welds.

- Removed the reddish ring sticker and transferred to the new cell.

- Put in the new cell (note polarity!), held down the clip, put back the screws, put back the white sticker.

- Reset by watch by first pulling out the knob two clicks and then holding the left and the bottom right buttons down for 2-3 sec. This process is described in the manual. Just follow it.

So far, the new battery is still on F. Both its capacity and max drain current are rated at half the value of the original cell. However, since Seiko and Maxell don't sell the original parts, this will have to do. The alternative is the cell that came with it ....

The very first time the watch did a time/zone/leap second sync, all was good! The charge level stayed at F.

I will post again in a few days to update you folks on whether the charge status fell to the middle and what (if anything special) was needed to achieve full charge again.

There is one post out there that mentions that at least one of the same models had a bad charging circuit diagnosed by Seiko. If this is the case, I would expect the battery simply won't take charge like the original one. Again, let's see ...

Report after 9 days: still on F. No need for LED lamp. Not doing anything special to charge the watch. It seema to sync properly when outside.

Update: It took a few more days than I thought for the needle to return to the middle. Happened on July 16 after I initiated the full GPS synch. I have not taken any special measures to charge it back. Will leave by a window for a few days and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by PDMathur View Post
    Report after 9 days: still on F. No need for LED lamp. Not doing anything special to charge the watch. It seema to sync properly when outside.

Some sad news about my experiment folks: the replacement battery does not appear to be charging unless the watch ia exposed to very bright light. At that level it is taking a lot longer than the manual suggests, but it does eventually charge from E to middle with 14 days under a lamp (like the old battery did). I believe this is indicating a solar cell or chargin circuit issue (as another poster on another forum had mentioned). Oh well. ... I am dissapointed. Thats not what I would have expected to fail in such a nice watch otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by PDMathur View Post
    Some sad news about my experiment folks: the replacement battery does not appear to be charging unless the watch ia exposed to very bright light. At that level it is taking a lot longer than the manual suggests, but it does eventually charge from E to middle with 14 days under a lamp (like the old battery did). I believe this is indicating a solar cell or chargin circuit issue (as another poster on another forum had mentioned). Oh well. ... I am dissapointed. Thats not what I would have expected to fail in such a nice watch otherwise.
    I bought my 7x52 used about a year ago (in perfect, unworn condition!). Therefore, I am not familiar with how a new battery/watch performed. Did it charge very quickly when new?

Mine still stuck on F, but it lives on a windowsill. If i bring it indoors, it goes to half full after a few sync cycles.

Talking about decay on the solar cell, I took some good macro pictures of my 7x52 dial on a sunny day, and you can see what appears as corrosion or delamination on some of the radial conductors. Seems we are in a dilemma: lots of light to keep battery happy or moderate light to protect the dial.

Thread Information