Modding a Seiko 5 Sports (SNZD17)

Thread: Modding a Seiko 5 Sports (SNZD17)

Modding a Seiko 5 Sports (SNZD17)

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums (but have been lurking and reading for some time now). I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole of getting interested in watches and am keen to try my hand in modding a watch (and maybe later learning how to take apart and reassemble a movement).

I bought an old Seiko 5 Sports off ebay for this purpose: it's a SNZD17 with a gold bezel and metal bracelet, containing a 7S36-01X0 movement inside (can't post pics because of low post count). I know that when it comes to learning about the movement and taking it apart, the best resource is probably Nicholas Hacko's website, so I'll be using that when work is less busy and I've got a little more time.

However, in relation to modding I was hoping I could get some advice from all of you:

1) What watch tools would I need to take apart the watch and put it back together (without touching the movement)? My understanding is that apart from what I need to change a strap, I need a watch case opener, tweezers, hand puller and movement holder? Any advice on where to get them (I've looked at Cousins UK but they seem slightly expensive)?
    2) I've seen lots of amazing Seiko mods here but they either seem to be non-diver Seiko 5s or SKX models. Would the same parts (e.g. from yobokies and dagaz) that go on a non-diver Seiko 5 or a SKX fit my SNZD17 as well?
    3) I'd like to change the bezel on the watch, does anyone have any experience of doing it on this type of Seiko model?
    4) Any other advice for me or suggestions on dials/hands? I'm hoping to find a nice day-date dial.

Sorry for the number of questions, but any advice you all might have will be very much appreciated! I'm based in London so if anyone has recommendations for tool shops or modders in London do let me know too (:

Thanks

Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Modding a Seiko 5 Sports (SNZD17)

Quote Originally Posted by danielyeews View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums (but have been lurking and reading for some time now). I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole of getting interested in watches and am keen to try my hand in modding a watch (and maybe later learning how to take apart and reassemble a movement).

I bought an old Seiko 5 Sports off ebay for this purpose: it's a SNZD17 with a gold bezel and metal bracelet, containing a 7S36-01X0 movement inside (can't post pics because of low post count). I know that when it comes to learning about the movement and taking it apart, the best resource is probably Nicholas Hacko's website, so I'll be using that when work is less busy and I've got a little more time.

However, in relation to modding I was hoping I could get some advice from all of you:

1) What watch tools would I need to take apart the watch and put it back together (without touching the movement)? My understanding is that apart from what I need to change a strap, I need a watch case opener, tweezers, hand puller and movement holder? Any advice on where to get them (I've looked at Cousins UK but they seem slightly expensive)?
    2) I've seen lots of amazing Seiko mods here but they either seem to be non-diver Seiko 5s or SKX models. Would the same parts (e.g. from yobokies and dagaz) that go on a non-diver Seiko 5 or a SKX fit my SNZD17 as well?
    3) I'd like to change the bezel on the watch, does anyone have any experience of doing it on this type of Seiko model?
    4) Any other advice for me or suggestions on dials/hands? I'm hoping to find a nice day-date dial.

Sorry for the number of questions, but any advice you all might have will be very much appreciated! I'm based in London so if anyone has recommendations for tool shops or modders in London do let me know too (:

Thanks

Daniel
    Were you able to change the bezel, back case gasket and crown gasket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information