Restoring polish/satin finish on my Seiko monster?

Thread: Restoring polish/satin finish on my Seiko monster?

Restoring polish/satin finish on my Seiko monster?

Randomly my watch-nerdness was recently revived and I'd love to restore my 5 year old orange monster to it's former glory. It's just got about 5 years of scratches on it. Internet searching recommends scotchbright pads for the brushed satin parts and cape cod polishing cloths for the mirror parts. After working on it for a bit, both will take about a year to do. Its' insanely time exhausting.

I"m wondering if anybody has ever done this with a drill or a dremel? I just don't know much about abrasives and i'm having trouble finding out what sort of attachment for a drill or dremel might give me the satin brushed steel finish and remove the scratches in less than a year. The smooth parts seem a bit more straight forward. Also sending it to jeweler isn't an option as i'd think that would cost more than the watch itself.

I"m just wondering if anybody has any good advice on how to good ways to do this, by any method, drill/dremel or no that doesn't take forever.

I'm surprised you didn't get an answer. I'd love to hear the how to also.

Like you, I just returned here after being away 6 years! My Monster nerdiness just kicked in too. I had to get the forum admin to update my email and pw.

Wearing my BM 24/7 for 6 yrs has definitely given it a "lived in" look.

But I see here the Monster frenzy has moved on, it seems to Seiko 5s.

Paul

Re: Restoring polish/satin finish on my Seiko monster?

Embrace the wear and tear.....it tells a story and adds a dimention to the watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JAA

Here:

https://youtu.be/PsPhHPWN1mc
    https://youtu.be/OLwJGatXUdM

It looks easy but it's difficult to get the exact right look. If you're going to do this, practice on other watches first. Once you start to take metal off, you can't put it back. So it's important to get the techniques right before risking your good watch.

I agree somewhat about letting the watch show it's past scars for the sake of allowing it to tell a story and just plain showing it's character. But there are times when I want to have that nice satin brushed look as it was when I first got it. Mind you I just touched up my 6309 the other day and was scared like you could not believe. With faith I did it with a steady hand and didn't have to mask off any areas. For me I use black electrical tape when masking, the black along with the stainless steel give a good contrast so I can mask off properly. I use electrical tape because I can stretch it and it forms better with curves and better under the bezel. Now what I'm about to suggest is what I do and I'm not sure if it is correct. I do hope if I'm wrong that someone will correct me so I'm not giving out bad advice, for me it works if by hand I use 3M Scotch - Brite 7447 red pad, it's about 10 mm thick and can be purchased on ebay. Practice with a crap watch first and be consistent with your passes which should be one way only, not to heavy on the pressure until you acquire a feel for what you're doing. I am including a pic of the outcome, and I'm very satisfied with the results. To be honest with you I would be soiling myself if I had to use a dremel drill, I like to have control of what I'm doing even if it takes a bit longer. I do realize that touching up a 6309 is something that is taboo to some but for me I wanted to do it and am pleased.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Stromboli; August 17th, 2019 at 07:33.

I did a little thinking concerning the best way to bring back the luster and life of both polished stainless steel and brushed stainless steel. And to be honest it really all depends on what case you are working on. I became curious how I would do a Monster case and decided if I had to do the case of a Monster I would use a Dremel Drill due to the sharp corners that you have that cannot be done that easily by hand. So I guess it depends on the situation.

Thread Information