Seiko 6139-7100 Helmet Restoration
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By ashtontracyhorologist

Thread: Seiko 6139-7100 Helmet Restoration

Seiko 6139-7100 Helmet Restoration

Hi Guys,

I just joined the forum. I usually post a lot on Rolex Forums and Omega Forums but I have started doing a lot seiko's recently. Hope you guys enjoy the break down.

Seiko 6139-7100 ‘Helmet’ Chronograph

I have been getting a lot of requests lately for Seiko servicing and restoration. Traditionally, it wasn’t something that I did as I stuck to Swiss movements but the more I have been doing the Seiko 6139 the more enjoy them. I think they are going to be something that I start taking in a lot more of. I know that many people collect them but there aren’t many watchmakers who take them on.
    Vintage Seiko’s can be had for not much money in today’s insane vintage market. They are an incredibly reliable movement and having been designed in 1969 they still stand up today. They share a lot of similar architecture with the Rolex 4130 movement which was developed several decades later.
    Here is the Seiko 6139-7100 ‘Helmet’ chronograph. Such a great design in my opinion.
    Here is the movement in the case.
    The case with movement removed.
    The movement with dial and hands.
    The dial and hands removed.
    The automatic weight has been removed.
    Slowly dismantling the movement.
    The dial side disassembled.
    The barrel with the cover removed. Note the dirty mainspring.
    With the movement disassembled, it is ready for the cleaning machine. Once cleaned it is ready for assembly.
    Once cleaned I adjust the balance spring to make sure it is flat and centered.
    I then assemble the base movement, and then the chronograph. The one downside of this movement is that you can’t check the timekeeping and performance until the whole movement is pretty much assembled.
    I then install the rest of the movement.
    Now I install the automatic module.
    I can then install the dial side of the movement.
    I then assemble all the dial side which includes the calendar work.
    Once the dial and hands are installed the movement is put in the case. It loads through the back but we can’t fit the crystal yet.
    First, the bezel needs to be put in place, then the securing ring and gasket.
    I then loosely sit the crystal on top and place the white nylon gasket around the crystal.
    I can then fit the bezel over the crystal assembly and it secures the whole thing together. Quite a cool design.
    The overhaul is now complete and ready for testing.
    jackie01, sorinp1, Simon and 1 others like this.

Re: Seiko 6139-7100 Helmet Restoration

I just bought one like this (on mine, the chrono hands are red). It is out to be checked at my local watch repair shop. The lady there told me that the watch is not in the best shape and might need some parts (quite hard to find...). Anyway, my question is this: on your watch, can you rotate the internal bezel using the crown? Because I couldn't on mine. All other functions work fairly well, but the chrono hands are a bit misaligned after reset - both seconds and minutes.
    Buren Intra-Matic, Casio (wave ceptor, Edifice EFA-120L and F-91W), Citizen Eco Drive (HTM chronograph, Paradigm and Axiom square), Citizen Leopard 36000, Seiko 5, Seiko 6139-7100, Seiko Premier Kinetic, Svalbard Elementary, Tissot (PR100 Powermatic 80 and Couturier automatic) and... Pebble

Loved that - thanks for sharing
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just bought one like this (on mine, the chrono hands are red). It is out to be checked at my local watch repair shop. The lady there told me that the watch is not in the best shape and might need some parts (quite hard to find...). Anyway, my question is this: on your watch, can you rotate the internal bezel using the crown? Because I couldn't on mine. All other functions work fairly well, but the chrono hands are a bit misaligned after reset - both seconds and minutes.
    Buren Intra-Matic, Casio (wave ceptor, Edifice EFA-120L and F-91W), Citizen Eco Drive (HTM chronograph, Paradigm and Axiom square), Citizen Leopard 36000, Seiko 5, Seiko 6139-7100, Seiko Premier Kinetic, Svalbard Elementary, Tissot (PR100 Powermatic 80 and Couturier automatic) and... Pebble

Quote Originally Posted by sorinp1 View Post
    Primarily it's the chrono runner assembly (more so the 6139B than the A) that's hard to find and expensive. Other parts not so bad.
    While a clever design it's also infuriating as it's non serviceable incorporating the vertical clutch assembly.

Thread Information