Seiko Servicing Qs - Beginner

Thread: Seiko Servicing Qs - Beginner

Seiko Servicing Qs - Beginner

Hey guys, first post on the forum. During the last 6 months, I've gotten into doing cosmetic restorations on vintage Seikos bought from Japan (5606, 6106, 6119, 7002, 7019 etc), as both a hobby and way to fund other watch purchases (college student). The problem is that to this point I've been limited primarily to cosmetic - cleaning, buffing, polishing, crystal replacements, etc. I feel like I've gotten very good at the cosmetic restoration, but I'm a total beginner troubleshooting movement problems. Most of the automatics I get from Japan are running flawlessly, but 10-20% have some seemingly minor issues - movement sticking and or lame power reserve (I don't actually know how to tell the difference). Sadly a $200+ service on a $40-$200 watch isn't feasible if I'm trying to resell it. I want to learn how to do basic services on these movements, but I don't know where to start. All the manuals stickied on this sub-forum are dead links.

For example, I have a 6106 and a 7019 that run beautifully after giving the rotor a good kickstart, but the movements stop after 20-30 mins, even on the wrist. I have no idea where to start. Any ideas or links to help me start learning? TIA

JAA

Re: Seiko Servicing Qs - Beginner

Out of all of my hobbies, watch servicing means full disassembly - clean - reassemble. The watch will work if you do everything perfectly. It's difficult to learn because you're working with tiny parts that you need x5 or x10 magnification to see.

It takes some time and dedication to learn. These two guys are good because their audience are amateur hobbyists like most of us. Look through their videos to get an idea what it takes...

https://youtu.be/tDa1ZZFwoBU

https://youtu.be/eLosFOLYoGs

Don't even think about working on the movements on any of your good, working watches until you're confident. Get some cheap, junk mechanical watches to practice your technique and learn the watch parts. The first few watches you "service" will die.
    Last edited by JAA; July 13th, 2019 at 05:32.

Re: Seiko Servicing Qs - Beginner

Thanks for the links. I'm on the same path and ready to take it to the next level.

Thread Information