Seiko Tuna "Style" Watch Bezel Issue

Thread: Seiko Tuna "Style" Watch Bezel Issue

Exclamation Seiko Tuna "Style" Watch Bezel Issue

I am trying to figure out if these bezels are missing another component or if it's a different type than what I am used to. I have included images for reference. As it is, this bezel turns freely without clicking into place. It turns in both directions and is easy to remove.

Name:  Shroud Mock Up.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.88 MB
    Finished Product Overview

Name:  Spring on & off Case.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  2.15 MB
    Two "Springs" For Lack of a Better Term

Name:  Spring between bezel & insert.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  2.30 MB
    All Bezels Have This Piece Installed

Name:  Spring between bezel & insert.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  2.30 MB
    Better Look at Wire Seemingly Between Bezel & Insert

I have seen the last piece in several other watches and I am still unsure of its function.

I appreciate any information that you could provide....I am just frustrated with this whole thing and I obviously need a different set of eyes on it because I think I am too close to this project and not seeing the forest for the trees.

Thank you WUS family!
    I Don't Have Too Many Watches....I Don't Have Enough Wrists

Is there a gasket on the inside of the bezel? Can’t see very well as i’m currently on mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidstain View Post
    Is there a gasket on the inside of the bezel? Can’t see very well as i’m currently on mobile.
    No sir. No gasket in any of them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have never seen a tuna taken apart in person, but all seiko diver’s i have seen always have a gasket on the bezel. It’s possible that’s the missing tightness.

The thin spring with multiple bends is there to hold down the bezel to the case. If you can easily pull the bezel out then this spring is most likely bad. Either it’s too soft/worn out now or somebody previously added too many “bends” to it.

Can you post the case number?

I appreciate the feedback. The thing is that this is not an actual Seiko case as far as I know. Perhaps it is but I believe that it's a replica. It's not as if it's a one of; this model was built with other custom parts yes. But the case is the same one that several companies are using under a variety of brands. I have owned a few of those myself and they are posted all over WUS. I just never removed the bezels from them.

Re: Seiko Tuna "Style" Watch Bezel Issue

Got it.

For the part about the bezel coming off easy, the multi-bend spring is at fault. It should have multiple straight sides that allows it to "snap" into the case and keep the bezel on.

For the non click part, my guess is the clickspring (curved one) isn't set properly. Typically the tiny bent end is installed into a hole in the case, the spring wrapped around the case, and the tip sitting against the ratchet on the inside of the bezel.

I hope I explained the process clearly.

I have read your explanation several times and I am trying to really understand. I have another spring that I removed (from an entirely different watch model) and they all have the multiple bends that you describe. Speaking here about the one between the bezel and the insert.

I can remove the one from the bezel in the picture but I believe that it will look the same. On the chance that I am wrong, I will absolutely take out ones from not just the watch pictured, but from an identical one I have. What am I looking for specifically?

As for the curved spring with the 90 degree bent piece that fits into the hole, I have thought the same thing. I even tried to install it in different ways without success. Should the end opposite the one mounted in the hole be bent in any way? All of the ones I have seen are straight so they tuck into the rim on the case. I cannot picture how it is supposed to make contact with the bezel itself, although it makes sense that it would as you say.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to try and help with such a difficult topic to describe in words.

Regarding the multi bends. Yes they are supposed to have multiple bends. But the bends should produce straight edges. Sometimes when these springs are old they lose the sides. For example instead of being an octagon shape, it turns to almost a round shape. Or the spring has too many bends. One speing with 8 bends will give a stronger grip (albeit harder to install) than one with say 15 bends. A way to vidualize this is, once installed in the beZel, see how much each “SIDE” sticks out. These multiple sides of the spring are what snaps into the case.

Regarding the click spring they are tricky to handle. You install the end in the hole, wrap the spring around the case and hold it on with your figer while you position the bezel on top, while making sure the end gets contact with the ratchet. It is easy to lose contact with the ratchet so you have to pay attention to that point.

Can you post a close up picture of the case. The part where the bezel goes.
    Last edited by Acidstain; August 19th, 2018 at 23:44. Reason: Add picture request at the end

Re: Seiko Tuna "Style" Watch Bezel Issue

I took a closer look at your picture (2nd one i believe) and saw the clickspring on the watch. Pardon my crude editing but look at the picture here. See where i placed the arrow direction. The click spring is installed on the hole correctly (there’s really no other way to it) but then you have to wrap the spring the opposite direction to what you have in the picture. So instead the spring going from 11 oclock down to 7 oclock, you go the other way. From 11 oclock to 3 oclock.
    Name:  D7D77072-D5B3-4565-A154-412FD990308A.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  1.19 MB

Thread Information