SKX 7S26 suddenly running extremely FAST!

Thread: SKX 7S26 suddenly running extremely FAST!

SKX 7S26 suddenly running extremely FAST!

Hi All,

I’ve had my SKX for about about year now, and have been extremely pleased with its timekeeping. It’s been to my amazement consistently within +2 to +4 sec per day. Suddenly without having dropped the watch or anything out of the ordinary I woke up a week ago and it was about 2 hours fast. I reset the time and it was running about 45 minutes fast after about half a day. I was about to send it in to Seiko for warranty servicing, as I bought it New, but just like that it’s back to the way it was at +4 seconds a day for the last few days. Should I just leave well enough alone, or have it serviced? Any idea what would cause such a thing, for it to suddenly run fast and then back to normal?

JAA

Re: SKX 7S26 suddenly running extremely FAST!

Two likely causes: 1. watch was magnetized; 2. hairspring hung up on something due to shock/vibration/impact. Full "servicing" which is overhaul would probably be overkill but definitely will lead to finding/fixing the fault.

There's no way to know for sure except to open the watch up to diagnose. If you can, try getting the watch demagnetized first. But since it's under warranty, send it in if there's any doubt; ask for "warranty repair" not "full servicing."
    Last edited by JAA; October 29th, 2019 at 19:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefbaz View Post
    I reset the time and it was running about 45 minutes fast after about half a day. I was about to send it in to Seiko for warranty servicing, as I bought it New, but just like that it’s back to the way it was at +4 seconds a day for the last few days.
    Looks like the outer coil of the hairspring somehow managed to get tangled, then freed up by itself. The cure for a jumped hairspring can be as simple as of gently slapping the watch couple times on your palm.

Thread Information