Snk809 modding questions

Thread: Snk809 modding questions

Snk809 modding questions

Hello Everyone, after obsessing for hours/days on which watch to get, I've decided that my ideal watch is actually the SNK809 I've been wearing for years and that I don't want a new watch! What I do want is a domed sapphire crystal and the nh36 movement in my snk809. I've watched some youtube videos, but I have some questions about this swap that I was wondering if someone could help answer.

What are the gasket sizes for the crystal and case back?
    Does the crown/stem have a gasket and if so, what size are these?
    Will the crown for the 7s26 that came stock with the snk809 screw off and on to the nh36 movement?
    Will the plastic movement holder for the snk809 accept the nh36 movement without issue?

Thanks in advance - I will post pictures when I'm done.

In most cases you don't need to replace gaskets, just put a tiny bit of watch silicon grease on them.
    Parts are interchangeable with the NH36. It comes with a mov't ring already. The stem will need to be cut to length.
    You will need a crystal press to remove and fit a new crystal.

Re: Snk809 modding questions

I would use the movement spacer from the SNK809 case rather than the one that comes with the movement. That will ensure a proper fit.
    IN ROTATION: Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36 mod), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SUP880, SZSJ005; Orient Bambino V3 FAC0000DD0; Casio G-Shock DW5600E; Timex Fairfield Sub-Second TW2R38000; Red Star 1963; Vostok Aмфибия 420927; Hamilton Khaki Field Auto H70455533; Tissot Le Locle T41.1.423.33; Glycine Airman 42 GMT GL0066, Combat Sub GL0088

EX-ROTATION: Invicta Pro Diver; Rodina R005; Seiko SSB033; Timex Weekender 38, Easy Readers
    ; Vostok Aмфибия 420059

CATCH AND RELEASE: Casio GWM5610; Seiko SKX013, SKX173; Tissot Automatics III, Le Locle Chronometre; Glycine Combat Sub GL0185

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MrDisco99 View Post
    I would use the movement spacer from the SNK809 case rather than the one that comes with the movement. That will ensure a proper fit.
    They are identical, except may be the color. The only type which is slightly different is the one used of diver's, check attached sheets. To properly remove a mov't spacer the calendar and motion works must be taken apart, which beside the time taken, involves some risk for a beginner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My feedbacks here and on SCWF.
    Always striving to honor my word and commitments

Quote Originally Posted by El @ View Post
    They are identical, except may be the color. The only type which is slightly different is the one used of diver's, check attached sheets. To properly remove a mov't spacer the calendar and motion works must be taken apart, which beside the time taken, involves some risk for a beginner
    The spacer is plastic and is bendy enough to be removed and installed without taking apart the calendar.

Thanks for the info about the differences between spacers. I honestly didn't know what the differences were so I always just kept them mated to the case they came with.
    IN ROTATION: Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36 mod), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SUP880, SZSJ005; Orient Bambino V3 FAC0000DD0; Casio G-Shock DW5600E; Timex Fairfield Sub-Second TW2R38000; Red Star 1963; Vostok Aмфибия 420927; Hamilton Khaki Field Auto H70455533; Tissot Le Locle T41.1.423.33; Glycine Airman 42 GMT GL0066, Combat Sub GL0088

EX-ROTATION: Invicta Pro Diver; Rodina R005; Seiko SSB033; Timex Weekender 38, Easy Readers
    ; Vostok Aмфибия 420059

CATCH AND RELEASE: Casio GWM5610; Seiko SKX013, SKX173; Tissot Automatics III, Le Locle Chronometre; Glycine Combat Sub GL0185

Thank you to everyone on this thread, these have all been on my mind as well. Please post pics when you're done OP.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDisco99 View Post
    The spacer is plastic and is bendy enough to be removed and installed without taking apart the calendar.
    I have done that myself few times. But I have learned the hard way that in watchmaking one can regret taking shortcuts when not strictly necessary. In this case, especially in the hands of a beginner, the mov't can slip off hands and damage the balance, or other mishaps, from that my recommendation.

I am working on a similar project and I have found the nh35 spacer is extremely tight in the snk case, so much so that I had to pry the movement out of the case, and I am in watchmaking school right now, so I am certainly not a beginner. I think there has to be something different about the 7s26 spacer that is different from the nh35 spacer.
    just my 2 cents,
    zeke
    Rocking my speedmaster professional on a black silicone strap everyday!

Thread Information