Snk809 nh35 swap question
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By AKTJ
  • 1 Post By AKTJ

Thread: Snk809 nh35 swap question

Snk809 nh35 swap question

So I have dipped my toe into the modding pool and I was able to swap the crystal and bezel on my skx007.

I have scratched the mineral crystal on my snk809 now and feel like it is time to mod it. I'm looking at doing the crystal (domed Sapphire), new dial, and swapping to a nh35a movement. I have done a lot of searching and read a good bit. One thing that isn't clear to me is on the dial. For example Dagaz sells 3 o clock dials and 4 o clock dials (snk and skx have interchangable dials) but I'm putting a 3 o clock nh35 movement into a 4 o clock 7s26-02J0 case. Thus would I buy a 3 o clock or 4 o clock dial? I'm guessing a 4 o clock since I have seen people with Seiko 5 dials in skx cases with nhxx movements.

I think understand the date wheel and stem issues I will encounter. These articles seem to cover that well:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/sei...4231194?page=2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seikopa...th-a-nh35/amp/

Re: Snk809 nh35 swap question

Hey. Any update on this? I'm about to embark on a really similar adventure using the NH36 movement in an SNK809.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done exactly this swap last week, 3'o clock NH36 into an SNK809 case.

The type of dial to get is based on the watch casing's stem position, so a 4 0' clock dial for a 4' o clock case, and 3 to 3.

If you look on the dial holding spacer, which is the black or grey plastic ring around the movement, the holes for the dial feet are in the same relative positions from the stem regardless of it was a 3 o' clock or 4' o clock watch, or a grey/black spacer.

If you're just looking at the plain movement, with the stem pointing in the 3 o' clock direction, iirc then you will see a hole between about 1 & 2, and diagonally across a corresponding hole between about 7 & 8, these are where the dial feet go. So then in a watch with a 3 o clock stem, everything matches up and you should see the dial feet in the same positions, 1 foot between 1 &2 etc.

The difference is of course when you rotate the movement within the case from stem at 3 to 4. The positions of the holes relative to that original 3'o clock position change by rotating clockwise. So The dial feet on the dial are in different positions to account for this, and so the feet are now placed between about 2 & 3 and 8 & 9.

As for the rest of the mod, I swapped the black dial holding spacer onto the NH36, and because I wanted to keep a stock appearing SNK809, I had to replace the NH36's white day/date wheels with the SNK809's black ones, which also takes care of the day misalignment.
    I also had to remove the original crown fro the SNK809 stem and out it onto the NH36 one. Did that by first removing and setting aside the little gasket from the original stem, then I wrapped the stem in foil and put it in the toaster oven to loosen the thread locker. After that it was pretty standard fitting.
    fiddlahhh and jano1988 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Did you find that the second hands pinion is higher on the new movement? Any issues there?

Thankfully I didn't encounter any issues with the height when retaining the original flat hardlex crystal and black dial holding spacer. It does appear to be very minimal clearance, and I'm uncertain as to whether a double domed crystal would fit.

As for the pinion height, If i'm reading it correctly, the NH36 spec sheet's assembly plan section shows a clearance of 2.36mm or 2.76mm between the crystal and dial for type M or Type L respectively(dimension 'F' n the second last page). So I suppose once the case and crystal provide that clearance it should be fine.

I measured my 7S26 pinion height from the main plate to be around 2.5mm, and the pinion height for the NH36 is given as 2.267mm or 2.667 depending on if it is type M or L (don't know which type i bought). Take with a grain of salt, as I doubt using my calipers on such a small poorly supported piece yield accurate numbers.

I don't have a dial test indicator and surface plate to hand. So perhaps someone with the means could measure the distance between the ledge on which the crystal sits and the approx face that the dial abuts or dial itself of the SNK809/7S26-02J0 case. With that measurement and if we had the pinion heights from the movement and the dial thicknesses we could get an idea of the available clearance.

I hope this helps.
    fiddlahhh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTJ View Post
    Thankfully I didn't encounter any issues with the height when retaining the original flat hardlex crystal and black dial holding spacer. It does appear to be very minimal clearance, and I'm uncertain as to whether a double domed crystal would fit.

As for the pinion height, If i'm reading it correctly, the NH36 spec sheet's assembly plan section shows a clearance of 2.36mm or 2.76mm between the crystal and dial for type M or Type L respectively(dimension 'F' n the second last page). So I suppose once the case and crystal provide that clearance it should be fine.

I measured my 7S26 pinion height from the main plate to be around 2.5mm, and the pinion height for the NH36 is given as 2.267mm or 2.667 depending on if it is type M or L (don't know which type i bought). Take with a grain of salt, as I doubt using my calipers on such a small poorly supported piece yield accurate numbers.

I don't have a dial test indicator and surface plate to hand. So perhaps someone with the means could measure the distance between the ledge on which the crystal sits and the approx face that the dial abuts or dial itself of the SNK809/7S26-02J0 case. With that measurement and if we had the pinion heights from the movement and the dial thicknesses we could get an idea of the available clearance.

I hope this helps.

Have you completed the stem tube mod on you snk809 to acquire screw down crown?

Not as yet, I've been busy at work and sidetracked by fixing up some Bell-matics instead.

Thread Information