LACO Resell value & turnover - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: LACO Resell value & turnover

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: LACO Resell value & turnover

Always done well with them

I am seriously considering purchasing a Laco and am a bit surprised at the experiences mentioned here. While I know that most watches take a 25-30% at most, a 40-50% hit on a relatively new watch seems a bit too much. I was leaning towards getting one used anyway but still good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that Erbstuck will loose about 40% of the value since there are few potential buyers since I have sold 2 (out of 3 that I purchased).
    Also, If I am planning on spending ~ $1,000 on a watch, I will look at competing brands. in this space which are many.
    I honestly think that Laco was TOO aggressive in the price increase implemented 2 years ago. I will be very reluctant to but a brand new Laco at the new (steep, IMO) prices.
    " Two mighty torches of flame like the wings of a yellow bird of fire flew over a field, covered a field with a brilliant yellow bloomings of flame, and in the midst of it, white as a ghost, white as the white of Melville's Moby Dick, white as the shrine of the Madonna in half the churches of the world, this slim angelic mysterious ship of stages rose without sound out of its incarnantion of flame and began to ascend slowly into the sky, slow as Melville's Leviathan might swim, slowly as we might swim upward in a dream looking for the air............."

Norman Mailer describing the lift-off of Apollo 11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by umarrajs View Post
    I know that Erbstuck will loose about 40% of the value since there are few potential buyers since I have sold 2 (out of 3 that I purchased).
    Also, If I am planning on spending ~ $1,000 on a watch, I will look at competing brands. in this space which are many.
    I honestly think that Laco was TOO aggressive in the price increase implemented 2 years ago. I will be very reluctant to but a brand new Laco at the new (steep, IMO) prices.
    Is this true of all Laco models, most, or just a few in your experience?

I think you shouldn't buy watches according to their resale value. Truth is, you loose money with almost all of them. Buy watches you want to have, wear them a lot and enjoy them. That can't be measured with money.
    Laco Pforzheim and pherble like this.

If you are at all concerned with resale value, buy used if you have the patience for the process. Of the 20 or so watches that have passed through my hands in the past five years, on the models I obtained secondhand I haven't taken more than a few percentage points loss on resale - note this is before factoring in a few more points lost on shipping and transaction fees. If you can trust yourself to stick to the rule of 'never new', upkeep on this hobby isn't all that expensive for my US middle-class lifestyle, besides the fact that you'll have a decent amount at any given time tied up in product.

Only two or three of those happened to dramatically go up in value before I resold them, and it was in no way predictable. Those few in my experience that went down in value in a noticeable way before I flipped them weren't bad - we're talking 15% or less differential from purchase price.

If you want value, new isn't the way to do it save for great care taken with the examples Mr. Stuffler mentioned above.
    pherble likes this.
    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

If the lost value is a concern, be patient for the right opportunity and buy used one. It's kind of buying the new car versus the used one, the moment you drive it off the parking lot you "loose" ~30%.

Good point—I think a used Laco is definitely in my near future. The question is, how near is “near”?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner_666 View Post
    Good point—I think a used Laco is definitely in my near future. The question is, how near is “near”?

In order to quench my Laco thirst, I just purchased a used Aachen for $300 in near new, so near was now based on seeing a good deal. I have a short list of watches to search for on EhBay, in the FS forums, et al, with a firm idea of what a "good deal" is that I'm willing to go for, so I don't get too spontaneous.

I will look at an Erbstuck in the next year or two unless a great deal comes by.
    Sinner_666 likes this.

I never buy expecting to sell....when I do flip, either out of lost love or funding the next grail, I tend to look at the lose as a rental fee I paid while enjoying the watch....

That said, I flipped 2 Lacos a while back, easy sales, losing about 10-15% over what I had originally paid....

Still have my bronze friedrichshafen, which I plan on keeping....
    I have been trying reaallllly hard to keep it below 20, but have just given up now.
    Watches - to many
    Brand - lots

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information