Alternatives to a Rolex Submariner
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Alternatives to a Rolex Submariner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Alternatives to a Rolex Submariner

This is a wide-open discussion I've been having with myself lately. Seems that now that the used and gray market for a modern Submariner is between $8500 and $11,000 (depending on date or no date options), I've been contemplating what you can get as an alternative in the range. Lean more toward sport (while still dressy enough with coat), not necessary a diver (although at least 100m is necessary) could be a chronograph. Just overall that one watch that can could be considered a collection killer.

What's your take on it?
    Orient Ray

Re: Alternatives to a Rolex Submariner

Glashütte Original SeaQ on bracelet
    Tohono Rat, 68Deluxe and oso2276 like this.

Blancpain Bathyscape. That’s what I bought when I was shopping for a submariner even back when subs were discounted and available at AD’s.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R_rated View Post
    Blancpain Bathyscape. That’s what I bought when I was shopping for a submariner even back when subs were discounted and available at AD’s.

I love the looks of it. I used to be a bracelet guy, but its so difficult to find a decent one (Rolex being the exception) and if your wrist swells your screwed, scratches, etc.

I would probably consider the Bathyscape over the Fifthy Fathoms due to size (and looks).
    Orient Ray

BlancpaiN Bathyscaphe with a sailcloth strap. Name:  IMG_4225.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  1.33 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Armstrong View Post
    This is a wide-open discussion I've been having with myself lately. Seems that now that the used and gray market for a modern Submariner is between $8500 and $11,000 (depending on date or no date options), I've been contemplating what you can get as an alternative in the range. Lean more toward sport (while still dressy enough with coat), not necessary a diver (although at least 100m is necessary) could be a chronograph. Just overall that one watch that can could be considered a collection killer.

What's your take on it?

I have owned an older model submariner since the 80’s which is really my primary daily wear watch. This year I picked up a Grand Seiko Snowflake, and have been surprised at how much I like the watch. It walks the line between a sport and dress watch, and has absolutely insane accuracy. I think it makes a pretty good “all rounder”.

Name:  47F2D6ED-D922-4C66-BB82-3162B16BEECB.jpeg
Views: 304
Size:  1.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Armstrong View Post
    Just overall that one watch that can could be considered a collection killer.

What's your take on it?
    Very difficult question at this price point.
    The most versatile watches with at least 100M water resistant for me would be: BP bathyscaphe as mentioned, VC overseas (2nd gen can be had for those prices, 3rd gen is more expensive), and the steel sports watches like Breguet marine, GO Seventies Panorama Date, GP Laureato (and the new absolute line), and Piaget Polo (Fortyfive or S line).

I am actually looking for a watch with those specifications + a GMT complication ideally. Still looking.

All the best,
    A.
    ajbutler13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by horrij1 View Post
    I have owned an older model submariner since the 80’s which is really my primary daily wear watch. This year I picked up a Grand Seiko Snowflake, and have been surprised at how much I like the watch. It walks the line between a sport and dress watch, and has absolutely insane accuracy. I think it makes a pretty good “all rounder”.

Name:  47F2D6ED-D922-4C66-BB82-3162B16BEECB.jpeg
Views: 304
Size:  1.46 MB
    My only reservation on the Grand Seiko's is the quality of bracelet. I do like both the Snowflake and the regular black dial Spring Drive Watches (Hi-beat is nice as well, but at a premium).

I looked at early 90's Submariners, but wrote them off at the current prices (given they have hollow endlinks and stamped clasp) - if it was more in tune with something under $5k I'd be all over it.
    Orient Ray

Wonder why no one suggested the Omega Aqua Terra... Am I missing a point here ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ajbutler13 likes this.

The seamaster has so many models which can give the submariner a solid competition......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ajbutler13 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information