Any SeaGull love here?
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Any SeaGull love here?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Any SeaGull love here?

I read a lot more positive comments towards SeaGull watch movements than I expected last night. The thread was titled something like "SeaGull, as good as swiss movements". I'm guessing all the respect was because it was in the "affordable" forum.

Over here in the high end world - whats the feeling towards a Chinese SeaGull watch movement?

Just trying to gain a better pulse of it's actual perception.
    Last edited by Dabon; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:45.

Re: Any SeaGull love here?

Something that you have to look out for when one flies overhead; dang, got me!

well, there is swiss (eta, sellita) and then there is high-end swiss...AP, Patek, VC, et al. I think a Seagull may be able to provide the same function and service as some swiss movements, but at the high end we are talking about something different altogether.

But again, this is my perception only.
    Dabon and JCB43 like this.
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Milgauss, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by islands62 View Post
    well, there is swiss (eta, sellita) and then there is high-end swiss...AP, Patek, VC, et al. I think a Seagull may be able to provide the same function and service as some swiss movements, but at the high end we are talking about something different altogether.

But again, this is my perception only.
    Perception is what I'm after. - no one (sane) is comparing them apples to apples.

But The real question is - If your friend has one on his wrist - are you assuming it's a pile?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabon View Post
    Perception is what I'm after. - no one (sane) is comparing them apples to apples.

But The real question is - If your friend has one on his wrist - are you assuming it's a pile?
    Hmm. I think you are thinking about this the wrong way.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the movement as far as mass produced movements go. Their QC is a little more spotty than your average Swiss or Japanese though. The biggest problem is how that movement is used, modified/ adjusted, and the fit and finish of the final package.

Unfortunately, for the legitimate Chinese watch industry, these final packages tend to be low end.

For example...

The Same ETA 2824-2 can be used in a cheap Calvin Klein

Name:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  46.5 KB

As this objectively much better built Breitling Navimeter 1, adjusted to a Chronometer. Of course the price points do reflect this. (even if this watch is not my style)

Name:  Breitling-Navitimer-1-Automatic-38-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  458.4 KB

Going with you question, I would assume the Calvin Klein is a pile, but not the Breitling... even if I do not really like Breitling.

Sea-Gull has yet to achieve something like this as far as I know (may be different in China?). The watches they go in do not receive the attention to detail, and the movements themselves do not get adjusted and finished to the level of precision one would expect of anything close to "high end"

When I see a Sea-Gull watch, I perceive it as 'affordable'. Just a cool watch with nice value for money spent if you got the 1963 re-issue.

Name:  maxresdefault (1).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  90.3 KB
    Dabon and jameswatchsd like this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

thanks for the perspective.

I'm sure if SeaGulls were cased up in a Swiss factory they'd gain more esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by SethThomas View Post
    Hmm. I think you are thinking about this the wrong way.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the movement as far as mass produced movements go. Their QC is a little more spotty than your average Swiss or Japanese though. The biggest problem is how that movement is used, modified/ adjusted, and the fit and finish of the final package.

Unfortunately, for the legitimate Chinese watch industry, these final packages tend to be low end.

For example...

The Same ETA 2824-2 can be used in a cheap Calvin Klein

Name:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  46.5 KB

As this objectively much better built Breitling Navimeter 1, adjusted to a Chronometer. Of course the price points do reflect this. (even if this watch is not my style)

Name:  Breitling-Navitimer-1-Automatic-38-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  458.4 KB

Going with you question, I would assume the Calvin Klein is a pile, but not the Breitling... even if I do not really like Breitling.

Sea-Gull has yet to achieve something like this as far as I know (may be different in China?). The watches they go in do not receive the attention to detail, and the movements themselves do not get adjusted and finished to the level of precision one would expect of anything close to "high end"

When I see a Sea-Gull watch, I perceive it as 'affordable'. Just a cool watch with nice value for money spent if you got the 1963 re-issue.

Name:  maxresdefault (1).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  90.3 KB
    ps, Is that your SeaGull watch? or just a picture?

^^^
    Note also, the the ETA 2824 in the Calvin Klein, and the one in the Breitling, are probably not exactly the same movement. They come in different grades, with some upgrades to, typically, the balance/escapement assembly and the shock protection. The Breitling is probably "chronometer" grade, the highest. The Calvin Klein is likely a lower grade. (There are 4 for the 2824 - Standard, Elabore, Top, and Chronometer.)

EDIT to add: Sea Gull is not at all high end. This would be better in the Public Forum.
    Dabon likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Glashutte Original Sixties Panorama Date, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

In terms of quality there's a pretty wide range of Swiss watch movements that start out at a pretty high standard and go up from there. With Chinese movements they start at the extreme bottom end and make it to about the point at which most Swiss movements start.

I have two top grade ETAs and two Seagull ETA clones. Of those 4 watches, all are indistinguishable on the timegrapher and on wrist. I have one of the two Seagull ETA clones on my wrist right now. I set it about 48 hours ago and it's exactly 1 second off right now after 2 days on wrist. My other watch with the same movement is even more accurate on average.

Seagull has significantly upped their movement game over the past several years in terms of quality. However, in terms of innovation, they are still well behind the Swiss and Seiko.
    Dabon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    ^^^

EDIT to add: Sea Gull is not at all high end. This would be better in the Public Forum.
    If you discount their tourbillon watches (which definitely aren't high end), the most expensive Seagull watch right now retails for less than $900usd. That being said, I think it's just a matter of time before Seagull starts to tackle the high end market simply because so many high end Swiss watches are going to Asia.

Name:  product-image-815916853_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  44.5 KB
    Dabon likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information