Anyone have a Freak X?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Anyone have a Freak X?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member Contaygious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    638

    Anyone have a Freak X?

    I tried one on and man it's nice! It's basically a 1hr tourbillon that flies around the dial, The silicone escapement is crazy and the best part is despite being 21k I see them as low as 14k so now I'm comparing to GO and Bulgari Octos. I can't see to find anyone who has one though. What's the deal?
    Name:  Ulysse-Nardin-Freak-X_3.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  252.7 KB
    Name:  Ulysse-Nardin-Freak-X-SIHH-2019-21.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  304.6 KB
    Name:  2a8e5d896ddb77ee52c7a6fbef274f2dd38e76c4-1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  223.2 KB

    Video
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n-Y...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Contaygious; February 8th, 2020 at 05:09.
    GO PML, Omega Mark II, LLD, Meister Telemeter, DA36, Ianos Avyssos, Tropik SS, Zelos

  2. #2
    Member bassplayrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    424

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    Color me intrigued. I've seen pics of these in the past and I think they're beautiful. I had absolutely no idea they were this "cheap."
    CURRENT WATCHES: AP Royal Oak 15500ST, AP RO Offshore 26470ST “Safari”, Bvlgari Octo Finissimo Chrono GMT Ti, Rolex 116655 Rose Gold Yachtmaster, Grand Seiko SBGA211 “Snowflake” Spring Drive, Omega Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon Meteorite, Omega Seamaster 300 “James Bond” OHMSS 50th Anniversary, Omega Speedmaster Pro 50th Anniversary (stainless), Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Big Blue, Omega Seamaster PloProf 1200M Ti, Omega Speedmaster X-33 Gen 2, Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2500, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Tokyo 2020 (white), Rolex 116610LV "Hulk", Rolex 116400GV Milgauss, Rolex DateJust Two-Tone / MOP dial, Panerai Luminor 1950 3 Days (PAM372), Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Ball Engineer Master II Diver Worldtime, Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon AeroGMT II, Doxa 300 Pro 50th Anniversary, Vortic “The Boston” 212 (1920/2018), Citizen Navihawk Blue Angels, Prometheus Ocean Diver, Seiko Prospex SNE533P1, Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, Shinola Guardian

  3. #3
    Member kiwi_kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    165

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    Big fan of the brand and this engineering of this piece but not sure I love the poor legibility.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    ^
    Where’s the poor legibility?
    Hand tips are lumed and stand out from the dial without any issue.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,349

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    Quote Originally Posted by Contaygious View Post
    I tried one on and man it's nice! It's basically a 1hr tourbillon that flies around the dial, The silicone escapement is crazy and the best part is despite being 21k I see them as low as 14k so now I'm comparing to GO and Bulgari Octos. I can't see to find anyone who has one though. What's the deal?
    ...
    The “deal” is that the brand and the model isn’t exactly popular.
    I really wouldn’t worry about trying to find someone who has it, you’ve already tried it on, it fits and you like it. The brand is stable enough to not be a concern about it disappearing, so you only need to decide if you yourself fancy something quite different from the norm.

  7. #6
    Member Zhanming057's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    720

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    I don't know if you've extensively experienced watches in this price range but I found the Freak x's quality a bit wanting for its price range.

    If you like the weirdness, check out NORD Zeitmaschine. They have a much more exotic flair because the upper assembly is hand machined by Daniel in his own workshop, and has a pretty distinct "feel" to it. You can also get his watches in either polished or matte titanium which feels a bit more premium than the Freak X.

    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  162.7 KB
    WTSP likes this.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

  8. #7
    Member Contaygious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    638
    Thanks I know there are better finished watches for the price like the go seventies chrono and octos but I'm learning toward this for the tech sports watch factor comparing to other dark watches.

    I can only really compare this to zenith and nord and this seems a lot more discrete to me than those el primero defys and the inventor is cool but so flashy.
    GO PML, Omega Mark II, LLD, Meister Telemeter, DA36, Ianos Avyssos, Tropik SS, Zelos

  9. #8
    Member wis_dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    Ooo, I like that. First UN that's piqued my interest.
    My collection on Instagram ——> wis_dad

    Timex Q Reissue
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’

  10. #9
    Member Zhanming057's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    720

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    Quote Originally Posted by Contaygious View Post
    Thanks I know there are better finished watches for the price like the go seventies chrono and octos but I'm learning toward this for the tech sports watch factor comparing to other dark watches.

    I can only really compare this to zenith and nord and this seems a lot more discrete to me than those el primero defys and the inventor is cool but so flashy.
    The Inventor is the most flashy one because there's a lot of movement going on and that attracts attention way more than just a flashy dial. Same for the Freak X because the entire balance wheel is out in the open. For the price you might also be able to find a Zenith tourbillon which might actually be the more understated of the options.

    If you want all black and you want techy, there's aren't that many options in the price range. Hublot's Meca 10 series IMO pulls off the industrial look pretty well (and the caseback is leagues nicer than the Defy skeleton watches). Alternatively, the older Urwerk models won't be too far off from the $20k price point, I've seem the DLC UR-103 go for around that much. Jaquet Droz also has a couple pretty interesting ceramic skeletons that are quite nicely finished.

    Name:  Jaquet_Droz_Grande_Seconde_Skeleton_Ceramic_Wrist_NY_2018.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  256.0 KB

    And if you're in SF, you could always make a day trip to LA and support a Californian watchmaker...

    Name:  iXpZ6d7.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.32 MB
    WTSP likes this.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    12

    Re: Anyone have a Freak X?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhanming057 View Post
    I don't know if you've extensively experienced watches in this price range but I found the Freak x's quality a bit wanting for its price range.

    If you like the weirdness, check out NORD Zeitmaschine. They have a much more exotic flair because the upper assembly is hand machined by Daniel in his own workshop, and has a pretty distinct "feel" to it. You can also get his watches in either polished or matte titanium which feels a bit more premium than the Freak X.

    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  162.7 KB
    But what time is it?

    Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •