Arnold & Son - Quality?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlcor

Thread: Arnold & Son - Quality?

Arnold & Son - Quality?

What's the general consensus on quality here? What are they comparable to quality-wise? Currently looking @ the double beat. I love their designs but it's hard to assess the quality of finishing from pictures a lot of the time.

I am familiar with the fact that the history is pretty meaningless here but I don't generally care about history when buying a watch. Obviously they seem to tank pretty hard too used but I don't think that's a huge deal if you buy used to start with.

BTW - used the search function and didn't really get much from people with hands-on experience.

Re: Arnold & Son - Quality?

A&S are nothing to be worried about – the quality is there, as they’re made by La Joux Perret, who make movements for many other brands, in the same way Dubois-Depraz does.
    Being owned by Citizen also adds to the security of the brand, regards servicing, etc down the road.
    Last edited by PJ S; October 21st, 2019 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
    What's the general consensus on quality here? What are they comparable to quality-wise? Currently looking @ the double beat. I love their designs but it's hard to assess the quality of finishing from pictures a lot of the time.

I am familiar with the fact that the history is pretty meaningless here but I don't generally care about history when buying a watch. Obviously they seem to tank pretty hard too used but I don't think that's a huge deal if you buy used to start with.

BTW - used the search function and didn't really get much from people with hands-on experience.
    Hi!

I've had the opportunity to try hands on a few Arnold and Son models since I was really interested in buying one at some point.
    I believe they are in the same league in terms of finishing as similarly priced Breguet or gold JLC. The quality of the movements is undeniable, however I found that the case design and finish was maybe a little inferior to say Parmigiani Fleurier or Vacheron Constantin. Nothing wrong really, just my feeling when holding the pieces and inspecting them closely. With that said, VC and Parmigiani have probably the best Swiss cases.
    I would probably rate them above H. Moser though, on similarly priced models. But H. Moser high-end movements are maybe better finished. All of this is very subjective.

I think they are a great buy at a used or grey market price, and they have a philosophy of innovation that I do appreciate. They are pioneering in some design and movement choices that are then imitated by bigger brands. Just my 2 cents.

All the best,
    A.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ar7iste View Post
    Hi!

I've had the opportunity to try hands on a few Arnold and Son models since I was really interested in buying one at some point.
    I believe they are in the same league in terms of finishing as similarly priced Breguet or gold JLC. The quality of the movements is undeniable, however I found that the case design and finish was maybe a little inferior to say Parmigiani Fleurier or Vacheron Constantin. Nothing wrong really, just my feeling when holding the pieces and inspecting them closely. With that said, VC and Parmigiani have probably the best Swiss cases.
    I would probably rate them above H. Moser though, on similarly priced models. But H. Moser high-end movements are maybe better finished. All of this is very subjective.

I think they are a great buy at a used or grey market price, and they have a philosophy of innovation that I do appreciate. They are pioneering in some design and movement choices that are then imitated by bigger brands. Just my 2 cents.

All the best,
    A.
    You beat me to it, I have almost the exact same impression—they are very good, but not in the league of Patek, VC or AP, let alone Lange. One caveat, I’ve only handled their mid and lower level pieces, not their top tier ones, they could be better.
    ar7iste likes this.

Had the chance to handle a few in person, very interesting watches with beautiful movements. All case sizes seem to be quite large though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Used to sell them, didn't seem like nothing special at the time.

Based off the posts above it would be fair to say finishing is similar to JLC quality wise? I'm leaning towards the partially skeletonized DuoMetre right now but some of the A&S pieces in the same price range are quite appealing...

Hmmmm, no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
    Based off the posts above it would be fair to say finishing is similar to JLC quality wise? I'm leaning towards the partially skeletonized DuoMetre right now but some of the A&S pieces in the same price range are quite appealing...

Following

Thread Information