Audemars Piguet Prices - New vs Used

Thread: Audemars Piguet Prices - New vs Used

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Audemars Piguet Prices - New vs Used

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the trigger for either an AP 15400/ 15500 or the chronographs (26331 or the new 26315) but I am also thinking about the time when I need to sell these watches subsequently to fund other watches.

Based on my research so far, the chronographs seem to lose value by about $1-2k once they leave the boutiques, but the 15400 seems to sell at a premium online or in the grey market. When I spoke to my local AD, they mentioned that the chronographs are sold out for the year and will need me to be put on a wait list to get it. They also mentioned that I'll be able to get my hands on the 15400 or 15500 if I place a 50% deposit and it'll be available in 1-2 months.

Are there any reasons for it? It would seem like it's easier to get the 15400 (or 15500) than the chronographs, so why isn't there a premium for the chronographs but instead there are premiums on the easier to get model? My economics training doesn't seem to be able to understand this phenomenon (maybe I didn't study hard enough in college. hahah!)

Any views or comments will be appreciated. I'm losing sleep over this logic =(

*posts aren't fun without photos, so I've grabbed some eye candies from the net

Re: Audemars Piguet Prices - New vs Used

Go for 15500 over the 15400, a much better watch IMO.

In terms of Chronographs, I tend to find them easier than 3 handers here in UAE at the AD.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko - Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard - Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor - Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 - SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines -Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko - Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

Maybe because the chronographs are locally higher in demand, but demand for the regular version globally is higher still.
    Last edited by T1meout; 1 Week Ago at 12:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both of your points about the local demand versus global demand makes sense.

Which also made me wonder, since it's guaranteed that a person can get the watch in 1 to 2 months, why don't people just buy a bunch of those 3 hander (15400 or 15500) and flip them since there's a premium over them? Unless AP limits the number of the same model or colour you can buy from them and that the warranties are registered to your name once you buy the watch?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchCavalry View Post
    Both of your points about the local demand versus global demand makes sense.

Which also made me wonder, since it's guaranteed that a person can get the watch in 1 to 2 months, why don't people just buy a bunch of those 3 hander (15400 or 15500) and flip them since there's a premium over them? Unless AP limits the number of the same model or colour you can buy from them and that the warranties are registered to your name once you buy the watch?
    I'd guess if people started buying them in some quantity, the wait would pretty quickly no longer be 1 to 2 months. (Although perhaps you'd make some money initially, as the stock dried up more...)
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Where are you located? In the US the 15500 seems harder to acquire than the 26331. Most AP boutiques are not taking deposits on the 15500 now. I was told by an SA that she couldn’t take a deposit for the 15500 but could get me a white dial 26331 in 1-2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HoroloG View Post
    Where are you located? In the US the 15500 seems harder to acquire than the 26331. Most AP boutiques are not taking deposits on the 15500 now. I was told by an SA that she couldn’t take a deposit for the 15500 but could get me a white dial 26331 in 1-2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Singapore. My AD told me they sold out their allotment of the 26331 for the year. I'm headed back this weekend to check on the 15500 though. At least he was quite certain to be able to get the 15400 in 1-2 months if I placed a 50% deposit for it.

Fingers crossed! It'll be my first AP, so exciting! I'm also afraid of scratching it since it's said that it's a scratch magnet =(

Quote Originally Posted by WatchCavalry View Post
    I'm in Singapore. My AD told me they sold out their allotment of the 26331 for the year. I'm headed back this weekend to check on the 15500 though. At least he was quite certain to be able to get the 15400 in 1-2 months if I placed a 50% deposit for it.

Fingers crossed! It'll be my first AP, so exciting! I'm also afraid of scratching it since it's said that it's a scratch magnet =(
    Sup fellow Singaporean! did the AD (or boutique?) say which colour dial he will be able to optain for the 15400? The colour of the dial matter a lot on the pre-owned market.

It's crazy how much all these brands are throttling manufacturing. I guess if it works to build demand, it works. I like the 15500 personally! Simple and elegant.

I went to the boutique last saturday, they've stopped producing the 15400, everyone on the waitlist for the 15400 has been transferred to the 15500 (and the wait list is LONG). And priority will go to the past boutique customers first, followed by new people =(

Now i'm considering to get the 15450 in Grey. It's the 37mm being too small, and 41mm being too large problem now. hahaha

the 26315 in Grey is available, but it feels difficult to read because it's grey dial on grey chronograph sub-dials. The 38mm will feel about right though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information