"Authorized Dealer" frustrations
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Authorized Dealer" frustrations

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Authorized Dealer" frustrations

Anyone else frustrated when a supposed "Authorized Dealer" will say they have no new stock available of particular high end models at even MRSP but magically have 2019 models "pre owned" for double MRSP?

Hmm....really? Really?

I have never seen the two ADs I usually use do things like that (hence they get my business and my referrals) but I've been seeing an increasing number doing this when I'm traveling about with the low production but desirable models in the higher end markets and certain Rolex models as well.

Anyone else experience anything like this lately? (Maybe its just me) I guess it makes sense when you can sell a "pre owned" for more money AND it makes it look like you move stock to the supplier's viewpoint.
    Current Collection: Cartier Tank Francaise, Celadon Imperial, JLC MUT Jubilee, JLC Reverso GT Shadow, JLC Reverso TT1931, JLC MUT Small Second 38.5, JLC Polaris Automatic, Rolex Explorer (2016), Tag Heuer Carrera

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...aTvU53LCRO7rcs

Re: "Authorized Dealer" frustrations

I haven’t experienced, but yes that’s frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some ADs really try to fleece you... Had an ALS AD tell me about how hard X model was to get in when there were literally 15+ on Chrono24 lol. I told them I'm capable of typing 3 words into Google and left.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, makes sense. An AD is a business like any other out to make a profit, but tactics like this are frustrating nevertheless. If it were me, I'd tell the AD, "No thanks, I would rather sit on a waiting list at a competing AD than pay double the MSRP for your pre-owned stock."

I thought that AD weren't allowed to sell used watches...

Quote Originally Posted by dave1980 View Post
    I don't think that's true. There are many, many ADs that also sell pre-owned watches. Brands can and do set many stipulations on their ADs, but they have no say in what an AD can or cannot sell.

So this is similar to something else I see frequently that I wonder about. I see pre-owned watches that are only a few weeks old, with the full set, warranty card filled out, etc. being sold for a bit less than MSRP. What I've assumed in most cases is that the watch was bought at a fair discount from MSRP, so they're still selling it at a profit, but even then, some of them have receipts showing they paid full MSRP or close to it. What's up with these transactions, are people really that impulsive that they'll buy a watch and sell it at a loss a few weeks later?? Or is the receipt not legit, and they're selling at a profit but making it look otherwise?

I sure sold a bunch. We had three cases and sometimes I would call them, "This is our version of the Gray Market".
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1980 View Post

Pre-owned came with a store warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwalby View Post
    So this is similar to something else I see frequently that I wonder about. I see pre-owned watches that are only a few weeks old, with the full set, warranty card filled out, etc. being sold for a bit less than MSRP. What I've assumed in most cases is that the watch was bought at a fair discount from MSRP, so they're still selling it at a profit, but even then, some of them have receipts showing they paid full MSRP or close to it. What's up with these transactions, are people really that impulsive that they'll buy a watch and sell it at a loss a few weeks later?? Or is the receipt not legit, and they're selling at a profit but making it look otherwise?

Some of the antics from the AD's these days are very questionable. A friend recently inquired about a white 116500 at his local AD where he's done a nice business over the years. The rep at the store said he needed to buy a DD40 in order to pair with the Daytona. Seems a little skeezy but thats just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information