In awe of the Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Concept watch, 2mm is darn thin!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: In awe of the Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Concept watch, 2mm is darn thin!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In awe of the Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Concept watch, 2mm is darn thin!

I was looking through a "best watches of 2020" article on the Watchuseek landing page and this new Piaget caught my eye.
    https://www.watchuseek.com/best-watches-2020/

I have soft spot for ultra thin watches. My thinnest non-quartz is a Zenith Class Elite 650 hand wound that's 6 mm thick. That's nothing compared to this 2 mm Piaget though. I'm just dumbfounded by it.

Name:  6bdd8b92da5f24624a0fc5d2869824c100f72fa7.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  60.6 KB

This video offers a neat overview:
    https://int.piaget.com/piaget-societ...timate-concept

I had the pleasure of trying on a Piaget Altiplano Ultimate a few years ago and found it was a real pleasure for the eyes. I'd say it's slightly nicer to look at than the new concept version. The more traditional balance wheel and the finishing look a little nicer in my opinion. But the Concept has a lot of really interesting innovations, like the one-sided spring barrel, the disk based hour hand, or the one-sided balance. The crown mechanism is pretty interesting, using an infinity screw system.

Name:  Piaget-Altiplano-Ultimate-Automatic-910P-Thinnest-Automatic-Watch-5.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  282.7 KB
    WastedYears and John Price like this.

Re: In awe of the Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Concept watch, 2mm is darn thin!

You know I wanted to like this more than I do because I love ultra thin watches. Insane price tag aside, there is something about the proportions and the way it sits on the wrist that I just don't like ( think its the lugs actually and lack of curvature). Looking at it from a couple angles on the pictures posted of wrist shots, I think the issue some have with the way a GT Reverso sits on their wrists is magnified here due to the extreme thinness.

I love the way Piaget has pushed boundaries and hope this is the start of something more, I just am not sure the ergonomics and proportions are there and cannot image spending 20k, much less what they are actually asking for in a watch that just doesn't fit properly.
    brandon\ likes this.
    Current Collection: Cartier Tank Francaise, Celadon Imperial, JLC MUT Jubilee, JLC Reverso GT Shadow, JLC Reverso TT1931, JLC MUT Small Second 38.5, JLC Polaris Automatic, Rolex Explorer (2016), Tag Heuer Carrera

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...aTvU53LCRO7rcs

It's a stunning technical achievement, but you have to wonder about whether it's robust enough to actually wear...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Read up and the Caliber 12P.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    It's a stunning technical achievement, but you have to wonder about whether it's robust enough to actually wear...

Ultra-thin is not my thing, but a stunning watch nevertheless! A 2mm thickness is definitely remarkable!

Have you guys ever cut a piece of paper to the shape of a watch and placed it on your wrist. Feels awful due to how thin it is. Dunno how this Piaget feels though.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I agree. I don't like fretting about possessions while using them.
    Old & New.

Quote Originally Posted by Citlalcoatl View Post
    You know I wanted to like this more than I do because I love ultra thin watches. Insane price tag aside, there is something about the proportions and the way it sits on the wrist that I just don't like ( think its the lugs actually and lack of curvature). Looking at it from a couple angles on the pictures posted of wrist shots, I think the issue some have with the way a GT Reverso sits on their wrists is magnified here due to the extreme thinness.

I love the way Piaget has pushed boundaries and hope this is the start of something more, I just am not sure the ergonomics and proportions are there and cannot image spending 20k, much less what they are actually asking for in a watch that just doesn't fit properly.
    I assume that you're referring to the price of the current Altiplano Ultimate 910P ($26-27k) and not the new Concept version. I haven't seen pricing published for the new version. It's true that over $25k is fairly expensive. There's the usual defense of development costs amortized over a small number of watches, high cost for the higher tolerances required of ultra thin parts, plus the man hours for finishing. Despite this, I can't help but wonder if thinness could actually be a cost savings approach. The more simple and basic the movement, the less expensive it is to produce. Also, how much gold is there in there? Probably as much as a typical wedding ring, maybe less, which is less than $1k typically.

In any case, an interesting piece in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Citlalcoatl View Post

I assume that you're referring to the price of the current Altiplano Ultimate 910P ($26-27k) and not the new Concept version. I haven't seen pricing published for the new version. It's true that over $25k is fairly expensive. There's the usual defense of development costs amortized over a small number of watches, high cost for the higher tolerances required of ultra thin parts, plus the man hours for finishing. Despite this, I can't help but wonder if thinness could actually be a cost savings approach. The more simple and basic the movement, the less expensive it is to produce. Also, how much gold is there in there? Probably as much as a typical wedding ring, maybe less, which is less than $1k typically.

Quote Originally Posted by WTSP View Post

I'm talking about the new concept piece where retail starts at 400k not the 910P.
    Current Collection: Cartier Tank Francaise, Celadon Imperial, JLC MUT Jubilee, JLC Reverso GT Shadow, JLC Reverso TT1931, JLC MUT Small Second 38.5, JLC Polaris Automatic, Rolex Explorer (2016), Tag Heuer Carrera

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...aTvU53LCRO7rcs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information