Best time-only classic watch?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best time-only classic watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best time-only classic watch?

I’m debating if I should get another time-only watch. Perhaps a two-hander or three-hander. I have a number, including the Rolex Explorer, JLC Reverso, and Patek Philippe Golden Ellipse. I don’t like to have to spend a ton of time setting my watch when I wake up in the morning. I’ve got a birthday a few months away, and am still contemplating my next purchase. What would you recommend if you were going to buy a used watch under $15k, and the watch had to be under 37mm and readily available. The ALS Saxonia Thin and the Patek 3919 come to mind. Any others? I’m looking for something classic that won’t seem dated in 20 years.

Hi mate!

I think the Saxonia is an amazing option. You should also consider Breguet Classique for time only timepieces, they are quite spectacular and come in all sizes from 35mm to 41.
    Vacheron Constantin also makes no dates timepieces that are masterfully crafted, and very classical looking (the patrimony and the traditionnelle).

I believe that some Piaget altiplano models also come with no date, and they are very impressive in the flesh.
    A more daring option would be Arnold and Son, they have 38 and 40mm options with no date that are very beautiful with guilloche dial.

All the best,
    A.

Re: Best time-only classic watch?

The classic Art Deco design of the JLC Reverso comes to mind.

You cnan get the extremely nice 18K white gold Ultra Thin reference for just about $10K. No need to max your budget. They also have a range of Dial Colors, and other references at different thickness and sizes.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  8207071_xxl.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  Reverso_1931_01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  771.7 KB

Name:  maxresdefault (1).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  86.4 KB
    acpacp likes this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Your 37mm requirement really puts the crimp on things. For me, the Parmigiani Tonda and Zeitwinkel 082 degrees would be contenders (and even coming in at less than 10k) if you can handle 39mm. Of course, as you mention, the Saxonia Thin is another fantastic choice. I also quite like the GO Senator Sixties in blue (although also 39mm). The JLC Master Ultra Thin can be had in 34mm, but is a bit boring to me.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

If you don't mind the hands Chopard LUC look pretty nice.

Thanks for all the creative suggestions! Keep them coming! The JLC Reverso is awesome - the only problem is that I already have one. I realize they come in many shapes or sizes, but that itch is scratched. 37mm really is my upper bound, with 33mm being the lower bound.

Vacheron Patrimony Blue dial, 2 hand.

Any interest in vintage..back when watches with a diameter less than 38mm were the norm? For instance, this Omega.

Since you mentioned the Calatrava, the 5196P is stunning and would be my choice.

Part of me likes the Patek 5022G because of its guilloche. The Vacheron 81000 is also appealing, although for that kind of money, I would rather have something from a different brand. Can you think of any other Pateks that have more complex dials? The issues I have with the 5196 are the simplicity of the dial, the solid caseback, and the mismatch between the movement size and the case size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information