Blancpain fifty fathoms vs Breguet 5817 marine
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ar7iste

Thread: Blancpain fifty fathoms vs Breguet 5817 marine

Blancpain fifty fathoms vs Breguet 5817 marine

Hi guys, i have BP fifty fathoms currently. Its a beautiful watch and i am loving it but to be honest, the size is quite huge. while it wears a lot smaller than 45mm but i dont have big wrist so it can be a bit tiring to wear sometimes. anyway, i dont mind about the size but if it was 40mm, it would be perfect watch. Please dont talk about milspec because there is no way i wanna pay premium for milspec. So after owning it for about 1 month, i noticed i started to get tired of the watch a bit. Perhaps i am bored. I dont know really what is going on.

Then there is someone offered me to trade my blancpain fifty fathoms with Breguet marine 5817 with silver dial blued hands.

Guys, do you think breguet 5817 is a better watch than my 5015 bp?? should i trade my bp? I have 2 other watches and they are milgauss and sea dweller 16600.

Pro for keeping blancpain : more iconic (will age better), more superior movement with 120 hours power reserve, better functionality (300m water resistance) vs breguet which is only 100m.

Pro for breguet: more manageable size, offers new color in my collection (silver), poorer resale value.

Please let me know what you think guys. I need your input.

Re: Blancpain fifty fathoms vs Breguet 5817 marine

Hi mate!

That's quite an interesting question. Your pros for both watches are 100% valid, however I can't help but think that the 5817ST is maybe not the best option for you.
    You already have a Sea Dweller and you are bored of your BP, that's totally fine, and the BP FF can still be sold/exchanged for a significant amount of cash. The 3817ST is from a reputable brand, but for me you can get a better watch for what you would sell your BP. Have you ever thought of acquiring a Breguet marine 5817 before your friend offered the trade?

If not, maybe it's not the watch for you. Many good pieces today can be found with different colors and sizes that are suitable for small wrists and daily wear. Fifty fathoms bathyscaphe, but also Breguet 3817 or 3810, Piaget Polo S, GP laureato, JLC Polaris or Geophysic, etc. I think the 5817 doesn't really have a timeless design and sits awkwardly between dressy and sporty (a thicker dress watch on rubber with WR basically).

If I were you, I would try to think of what I really want, and sell/trade my BP for that instead of considering just a 5817. But for sure, if you're bored by the BP and annoyed by the size, it makes sense to exchange it/sell it.

All the best,
    A.
    GrouchoM likes this.

For a long time I considered the Breguet Marine in rose gold with either a chronograph or gmt function. While it is a gorgeous watch, I feel like the Breguet straddles the line between dress and sports watch without doing either particularly well.

I would also figure out what you really want before jumping out of the Blancpain. The Breguet would probably be harder to get out of if you grew tired of it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I once heard a wise man say in relationships the first 18-24 months is very critical as the two persons get to know each other. The first 18-24 months would tell if they will stay together happily ever after or not.
    I believe the same is with watches, there is a period where both you and your watch are getting to know each other before deciding on your destiny with that particular watch.
    One month is really harsh from your side on the BP. It is not enough time to really get to know your watch. And I bet you if you sell/trade your watch you would regret it down the road.
    I agree with the replies I saw, you are better off holding on to the BP than trading it for the Breguet

Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

Trade you for my bathyscaph.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Azizu View Post
    I once heard a wise man say in relationships the first 18-24 months is very critical as the two persons get to know each other. The first 18-24 months would tell if they will stay together happily ever after or not.
    I believe the same is with watches, there is a period where both you and your watch are getting to know each other before deciding on your destiny with that particular watch.
    One month is really harsh from your side on the BP. It is not enough time to really get to know your watch. And I bet you if you sell/trade your watch you would regret it down the road.
    I agree with the replies I saw, you are better off holding on to the BP than trading it for the Breguet

I couldn't agree more. I think (1) give it a little more time and (2) that trade just doesn't make sense to me...I would wait until until you find something you want to trade it for, that you love and really get excited about. If you feel "iffy" about your current watch and the potential trade, I would sit tight...

Good luck, OP.

Also - they do have some smaller diameter versions...

I wouldn’t compromise. I would sell the FF and look for something else

Instagram @karlisnet_WUS

Personally I really like the look of larger dive watches and chronographs, and I expect you did also or you wouldn't have bought that model. Assuming you will be rotating between that watch and another (or others), perhaps you just keep the "big watch" for occasions you want to go for it?

Thread Information