Blancpain or JLC Perpetual - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Blancpain or JLC Perpetual

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Blancpain or JLC Perpetual

I like the JLC between these 2 just based on aesthetics alone.

Agreed with everyone else so far... The JLC looks better to my eyes. Cleaner and more modern looking.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

JLC all day

Blancpain is a dead brand that was bought to cash in on someone else's history. Biver paid only $20K to buy the Blancpain name...how can you justify paying $20K for a single watch from a brand like that?
    apudabam likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by erdini View Post
    JLC all day

Blancpain is a dead brand that was bought to cash in on someone else's history. Biver paid only $20K to buy the Blancpain name...how can you justify paying $20K for a single watch from a brand like that?
    If brand and value is only related to history, then there are many suckers who buy watches for high prices. Quality of workmanship, ascetics, blending of lines... there is a lot that goes into making an amazing watch. History is part of it and I love the golden watches of the 60s but surely there is more than lore. If there is not than just go buy a bunch of speedMasters and seamasters and drink the history and movies. I agree Blancpain was revived but that should have no bearing on the value a watch made by them is worth.

One writer said it well. If James Bond wore a fifty fathoms the whole watch world would look different and likely the better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    I vote for the JLC but this version....
    +1
    Black dial looks better and it’s more legible.

Thanks for your insight. I agree with you. Arnold & Son is a perfect example. It was a name revived but the quality of the workmanship is outstanding IHMO. The Blancpain watches I've seen (and the one I have) is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Mbarmash View Post
    If brand and value is only related to history, then there are many suckers who buy watches for high prices. Quality of workmanship, ascetics, blending of lines... there is a lot that goes into making an amazing watch. History is part of it and I love the golden watches of the 60s but surely there is more than lore. If there is not than just go buy a bunch of speedMasters and seamasters and drink the history and movies. I agree Blancpain was revived but that should have no bearing on the value a watch made by them is worth.

One writer said it well. If James Bond wore a fifty fathoms the whole watch world would look different and likely the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    I vote for the JLC but this version....
    Ditto, JLC black dial
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

I found this Blancpain reference much nicer looking

From those two it’s the JLC for the same reason as everyone above.

Confused Re: Blancpain or JLC Perpetual

JLC all day

Wait... What?!

Differences in opinion =

But What history you ask? How about this:

After Biver took over, Blancpain created a movement for day date month and moonphase which was the world's smallest at the time.

They then made various complications like perpetual calendar, an ultrathin, a minute repeater, a split-seconds chronograph and a tourbillon. (You could buy 6 variations of the watch above like a collection).

Then they created a watch with 100 hour power reserve.

And lastly they created the worlds Most complicated watch at the time which combined all of the above features into one single watch.

Not too bad for a $20,000 watch company with no modern history eh?

JLC all day

The quality of any Blancpain is incredible. My Bathyscaphe is a tank. I perceive BP to be a higher end brand that JLC and made my vote purely on the aesthetics of the watches in front of us. If History of a brand mattered that much then GP Laureato would cost more than a Nautilus second hand;)
    GrouchoM and Maiden like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information