Blancpain stop playing games with fifty fathoms
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Blancpain stop playing games with fifty fathoms

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blancpain stop playing games with fifty fathoms

Current model of basic fifty fathoms is from 2007, height of the big dinner plate watch craze. Thus the case size is 45mm vs the original of 42? Or 40?

Now that the trend is going back to 40mm smaller size and Blancpain knows that. But instead of updating basic model to smaller size, they release 40mm only with special editions like mil spec and ocean commitment which no one can get a hold of. They’re sold out in 5 minutes despite 17k price tag.

My vote is stop playing games and release what the people want... a 40mm still sport watch aka 40mm fifty fathoms. And do this while the market is hot.

Oh wait too late, we now have Coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...i do agree with u but i also disagree. I agree that 40mm is defin. back. Gone are the days of 45mm blinged out hublots.

But i think bp ff being 45mm is perfectly fine. To be more specific, I have an omega dsotm and its 44mm. My wrist is super dainty but it doesnt wear too big. Last time i tried on the bp ff, it was a good fit. Imo, the dark bezel makes it seem smaller than it is. I love the new 2020 blue rose gold version btw.

I asked a Blancpain boutique something similar: do people ask for a smaller fifty fathoms? And their response is no, people walking in have not asked for a size reduction on the classic model (although I've listened to people complain about 45mm for the FF in real life), and that whoever tries it on doesn't notice the actual dimensions on the wrist. I'm inclined to believe them somewhat but I imagine it could be a set standard company response as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Blancpain stop playing games with fifty fathoms

Quote Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
    I asked a Blancpain boutique something similar: do people ask for a smaller fifty fathoms? And their response is no, people walking in have not asked for a size reduction on the classic model (although I've listened to people complain about 45mm for the FF in real life), and that whoever tries it on doesn't notice the actual dimensions on the wrist. I'm inclined to believe them somewhat but I imagine it could be a set standard company response as well.
    Their fan base might just be happy, but will probably acquire few new fans. I am also on the fence with the 45 mm, but my attitude might change if they ever release a 40 mm that is widely available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would the dial of the 40mm look comically tiny due to the big bezel?
    MDNoobie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    Would the dial of the 40mm look comically tiny due to the big bezel?
    If it looks anything like the Ocean commitment 3 or the "nageurs de combat", then it's a winner. The proportions look perfect to me. Pics from internet.

Name:  Blancpain-Ocean-Commitment-III.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  385.8 KB

Name:  Blancpain_FiftyFathoms_BOCIII_front_1000.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  593.6 KB
    drhr, Actium, fish70 and 1 others like this.

The 43 mm Bathyscaphe comes in black, dark grey, and blue. The 38 mm Bathyscaphe comes in black, blue, and white. Not to mention the Barakuda, Automatique (Cal. 1151), Ocean Commitment III, and limited editions. There's an entire line-up of watches for people who prefer case diameters < 45 mm.

Blancpain is, I think, better than most at providing a diverse array of sizes.
    drhr likes this.

FWIW, here in Switzerland the LE 40mm Fifty Fathoms were all readily available months after their initial release. If you ever pass through Zurich airport, I was able to try on both the Baracuda and the Mil Spec there.

Quote Originally Posted by ar7iste View Post
    If it looks anything like the Ocean commitment 3 or the "nageurs de combat", then it's a winner. The proportions look perfect to me. Pics from internet. Name:  Blancpain-Ocean-Commitment-III.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  385.8 KBName:  Blancpain_FiftyFathoms_BOCIII_front_1000.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  593.6 KB
    Well that confirms it, really tiny looking. That dial must be under 30mm.

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    Well that confirms it, really tiny looking. That dial must be under 30mm.

Maybe that's the angle, or the style of the bezel, but look at this pic of a 40mm sub vs a BP OC3. The size looks good to me.

Name:  sub vs BP OC.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  438.4 KB
    slcbbrown likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information