Breguet or Girard Perregaux
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Breguet or Girard Perregaux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breguet or Girard Perregaux

Iíve been playing with the idea of adding a gold piece to my completely stainless steel collection. Iíve been debating between two pieces and Iím having difficulty deciding.

Breguet Marine Chronograph 42mm
    Name:  IMG_6639.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  319.9 KB

Girard Perregaux Laureato 44mm
    Name:  IMG_6640.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  163.8 KB

Open to hearing any other suggestions, I would like to keep the price below $20k secondhand. Also would need to be between 42mm to 46mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Breguet or Girard Perregaux

Quote Originally Posted by Jhchr2 View Post
    Iíve been playing with the idea of adding a gold piece to my completely stainless steel collection. Iíve been debating between two pieces and Iím having difficulty deciding.

Open to hearing any other suggestions, I would like to keep the price below $20k secondhand. Also would need to be between 42mm to 46mm.
    Two very different watches, given the Evo 3 Laureato is a sports watch. Nothing wrong with that, but based on your criteria, have you considered the GP WW.TC - it's got a busy dial like the Laureato full-calendar, GMT, chronograph, but is a bit dressier to better compete with the Breguet. There is a also a GP Chrono to better match the Brequet, but it is more expensive, and smaller too, so the WW.TC is my contribution.

Photo credit: Christieís

Name:  2011_GNV_01383_0190_000(girard-perregaux_a_large_and_heavy_18k_gold_automatic_world_time_chron).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  164.8 KB
    KtWUS and slcbbrown like this.

That is a bit of an apple/orange comparison from an aesthetic point of view. Rather than providing an opinion on these two pieces or provide random recommendations of other $20k watches (of which there are many excellent examples), I would encourage you to provide for more general guidance. Beyond being gold and relatively large, what are you looking for in a watch? Dressy? Sporty? Bling? Classic understatement? Horologically interesting? A pure aesthetic experience with no concern for horological significance? Do you want a specific complication? I guess more guidance would be helpful. Without more information, you will likely get recommendations for everything from an Hublot Big Bang in rose gold ($18k on Chrono24) to a Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture ($20k) (both of which are gold and meet your size requirements but are very different in every other way).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like everyone is saying it's two different watches really, but it all boils down to personal preference. Why not give it some more time to choose which one you like better. Also, price below 20k just widens your choices more and if you can provide what type of watch you are looking for, aside from the watch being gold, then people here can recommend.

I echo Tohono’s comment – assistance requires clarity otherwise everyone’s shooting in the dark.
    However, and to sort of kick things off, how about one of the following:

Moser Pioneer
    Piaget Polo 45 (G0A38149)
    G-P Laureato (RG/Titanium)
    G-P Chrono Hawk
    Bvlgari Octo (Finissimo if you can up the budget or sacrifice a piece or two)
    Blancpain L-Evolution or Fifty Fathoms

Gold and sports watch don't really jive for me, but as the Breguet is the dressier of the two, I'd go for that. Gold marine chronometers are a nice compromise between sporty and dressy I think so I'd also echo the UN suggestion above.

Gonna throw this out there for something a bit different, but what about something like this?

GP 1966 Ref 49534-52-711-BK6A

Name:  GP 1966 RG.PNG
Views: 180
Size:  785.3 KB
    slcbbrown and Hayseed Brown like this.

Collection

Girard Perregeaux Laureato 81010
    Rolex Submariner 16803

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Longines Saint Imier Chronograph
    Longines Hydroconquest 742.4 (L888)

Affordables

Citizen World Time Radio Controlled CB0020-50E

Citizen Automatic day-date
    Seiko Solar Chronograph Spirit (JDM model)
    Orient Bambino

Retired
    Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50

42, and bigger, is huge for a gold watch, IMO. I would definitely want to try those two choices on before making a choice because I think they will wear very "big" and loud. They both have a lot of gold surface area, and the Breguet has lots of polished area, too. Both of these styles make for very bold looks.

I really like the older, smaller and less complicated Marine big date in gold, as a choice. On the GP side, a gold 4956 chrono at 40mm wears big, is much less expensive and a beauty. If you want the larger size, though, the GP worldtimer is much more understated for a 43mm watch.

Of the two original choices, I'd probably lean towards Breguet. Am I right in assuming that the Breguet is wildly expensive and the GP pretty reasonable, in comparison?

you can't go wrong with Blancpain Villeret, there rose gold is special
    the Blancpain villeret quantieme complet 6263-3642-55a is a 38mm piece of art that set well on the wrist and wears a little bigger than its size.

Name:  BP 6263.png
Views: 161
Size:  606.8 KB

another option would be the Blancpain villeret quantieme complet 6654-3642-55b which is a 40mm lovely annual calendar watch with the quick setting pushers hidden behind the lugs

Name:  blancpain-6654-3642-55b.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  36.6 KB

both watches are above the 20K mark you indicated but they are worth the price
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

I think the Breguet Marine youíve chosen is a great piece. No need to go any further.

Although I might suggest a Zenith Stratos in gold if youíre looking for a sport chrono in precious metal.

The IWC Portuguese Yacht Club is a cool option too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information