Breguet Marine Big Date Strap Options
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Amin Sabet
  • 1 Post By Cayenne06

Thread: Breguet Marine Big Date Strap Options

First of all I'd like to thank the WUS community and the great responses every time I have asked a question to the group. I asked about blue dial Breguets about a year ago and through this forum was introduced to Urban Jurgensen and now am the happy owner of a 1140WG w/ said blue dial. Anyway, back to the subject, I still haven't procured that Breguet and have always had a soft spot for the Marine Big Date. Since the 5817 has been discontinued its time to make a decision. I always thought I'd get the yellow gold with the brown strap, but lately I'm leaning toward the stainless model with the white dial, although I'm not a fan of the bracelet or rubber strap. I also feel the black croc strap is too dressy for daily wear. Has anyone seen or own a 5817ST with a brown calf or croc strap, and if so do you have photos? I have seen the Classique 5287 in WG w/ brown strap, and although it is not the same piece, I do like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post
    First of all I'd like to thank the WUS community and the great responses every time I have asked a question to the group. I asked about blue dial Breguets about a year ago and through this forum was introduced to Urban Jurgensen and now am the happy owner of a 1140WG w/ said blue dial. Anyway, back to the subject, I still haven't procured that Breguet and have always had a soft spot for the Marine Big Date. Since the 5817 has been discontinued its time to make a decision. I always thought I'd get the yellow gold with the brown strap, but lately I'm leaning toward the stainless model with the white dial, although I'm not a fan of the bracelet or rubber strap. I also feel the black croc strap is too dressy for daily wear. Has anyone seen or own a 5817ST with a brown calf or croc strap, and if so do you have photos? I have seen the Classique 5287 in WG w/ brown strap, and although it is not the same piece, I do like the look.
    Just placed the order on mine with white dial and rubber band and will follow this thread with interest. A sailcloth strap maybe for summer periods might work, I try to avoid genuine leather.
    Current collection:

Zenith El Primero 36000 VpH 42mm
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300
    Breguet Marine Big Date 5817ST

Re: Breguet Marine Big Date Strap Options

I’m wearing a Breguet 5817 on the OEM rubber strap..white dial.

Ive held up a blue croc strap to the watch and it dresses up nicely. The blue is a little less formal than black and picks up the color of the blue hands.

sorry, no pics

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    TBH, if I'm dissatisfied w/a strap, the 1st thing I'd do is consider the other "native" options, and if I was reluctant to pony up for one of them, I'd stitch the thing on a solid color grosgrain band and see what I think of that. If that doesn't work, I'll buy the "native" alternative.

For the Marine, there is a bracelet that's awesome, so that's the native option. And aftermarket nubuck strap to match the dial (if blue or black) is also great. W/the silver dial, any color nubuck will look nice.

Of course, I'm big on going "downscale" w/straps. I like the juxtaposition and that it makes a "posh" watch a bit more subdued looking, less "hey, look at me."

Call me crazy, but I think polka dots scream for notice. And the black and blue Marines are watches w/a giant ass polka dot right in the middle of the dial. That's a lot of flair begging to be noticed, IMO. (And, yes, I love it. Then again, I'm a guy who'll wear "go to hell" pants & a navy blazer w/loafers and no socks.)

Banned
    You won't have trouble w/the Marine on alligator. Heck, it looks like a dress watch anyway. That's the cool thing about that watch: when you want it to be a dress watch, a proper one, it is, and when you don't, it isn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’m wearing mine today on a brown croc strap. Not a Breguet strap, but sharing as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GrouchoM and Cayenne06 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    I’m wearing mine today on a brown croc strap. Not a Breguet strap, but sharing as an example.

Bingo !! That's the combo I was thinking of. I think you could go even more casual with a calf skin in black or chocolate. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Amin Sabet likes this.

How is the bracelet for this watch? I know that doesn't really go with the original posters comments, however I always liked this version (not the new one so much) and visually I don't dislike the bracelet, however don't love it.
    Current watch collection:

Rolex GMT II 116710LN

Bingo !! That's the combo I was thinking of. I think you could go even more casual with a calf skin in black or chocolate. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Here’s one from today in softer lighting:

Quote Originally Posted by Dapuma View Post
    How is the bracelet for this watch? I know that doesn't really go with the original posters comments, however I always liked this version (not the new one so much) and visually I don't dislike the bracelet, however don't love it.
    There are two different bracelets. I like the look of the newer one:

Thread Information