Breguet XX 33.5mm
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Breguet XX 33.5mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breguet XX 33.5mm

Hello!

I am a man and have a 16cm, 6.2 inch, wrist. I like small and light watches and I am looking now for a light and small chronograph. I am considering a Breguet XX with a 33.5mm case.

I like the small size but taking into account they were manufactured in the 2000s, I believe it is a model for ladies. I was wandering if anybody can give me advice about the suitability of my choice for myself. I have doubts concerning the strap, as I do not wish it to be too thin. Regarding the watch, I am concerned with the fact that it could be too thick compared with its diameter?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Breguet XX 33.5mm

While I can't advise on the Breguet, have you looked into vintage chronos?

In the real world, no one cares what size your watch is (within reason). A man can wear 30 - 42mm no matter the wrist size and no one will say a thing, or care.

As long as you avoid jeweled or effeminate colors, you should be fine. Wear what you like, like what you wear.
    MDNoobie and jameswatchsd like this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think 33.5mm sounds perfect for your wrist size. I don't think the band would be an issue.

Remember that if the watch is a chronograph and 33mm then the subdials are microscopic and maybe hard to read.
    MDNoobie and slcbbrown like this.

I don’t think I could recommend a chronograph that small. Just not practical (unless you are under thirty and so will have good near vision for a decade or so). Like you, I have a 16cm wrist and so tend to favor smaller watches. Honestly, though, as long as the lugs don’t extend past your wrist it won’t look awkward. What size “works” is mostly a matter of what you are used to. I would recommend widening your search. Nothing wrong with watches up to 40mm for your size—even 42mm if the lug to lug distance is reasonable. That would allow watches like the First Omega in Space, the 38mm Zenith El Primero, and a host of others. Even the Octo Finissimo Chronograph works on my wrist, and I think it’s 41mm. The fact that it is very thin helps, though the case shape actually makes it look large.

Of course, if you actively like the Type XX, go for it and don’t worry about whether it’s a man’s or lady’s watch. But don’t get it because you think you can only wear things under 36mm. A few weeks with a bigger watch and I expect you would be fine.
    Last edited by jwillson; April 24th, 2020 at 07:31. Reason: Thpo
    Benzsiam likes this.

If ever the old adage 'try before you buy' applies, it's here. Not only because 33.5mm is on the smaller side (for a chrono especially as mentioned), but also because the XX height to width ratio is not to everyone's taste IRL. This version is just slightly more moderate than the men's one in that regard, but depending on the amount of wrist/strap visible on either side, I can imagine it might look a little disproportionate - a mini puck on the wrist (even with a 6.2" wrist). Also not sure whether it is as much of an issue at 33.5mm (and with a soft strap), but the normal XX, like the reverso, can sit a bit funny depending on the prominence of the wearer's wrist bone and how low you like to wear the watch. In short, I'd probably be tempted to continue looking. Best of luck with your decision.

Hi,

thanks for all the responses you have provided.

From photographs and the information available in internet I have found out that the strap width is 17mm or 0.66 inch. Men's straps go from 18mm on, so probably, this would not be an issue.

The proportions of the watch are kept. it means that the height of 11.8 mm, 0.46 inch, corresponds to the 14mm height of the mens 39mm diameter watch. This is an issue as mentioned by @Uhrmensch as 12mm is high.

About the size of the subdials mentioned by @murokello, I cannot state anything on its readability.

36mm is the largest size I consider. About El Primero 38mm mentioned by @jwillson, I am pretty convinced it may not really fit my wrist, although it looks much flatter than this watch. Larger than 36mm does not fit my wrist in general.

@GrouchoM, I have seen vintage 50s manual winding chronos from Zenith that were 34 or 35mm. Whilst I like the size, I am not so convinced about the truly vintage look and the manual winding. Do you have any concrete model?

Quote Originally Posted by hanay View Post
    Hi,

thanks for all the responses you have provided.

From photographs and the information available in internet I have found out that the strap width is 17mm or 0.66 inch. Men's straps go from 18mm on, so probably, this would not be an issue.

The proportions of the watch are kept. it means that the height of 11.8 mm, 0.46 inch, corresponds to the 14mm height of the mens 39mm diameter watch. This is an issue as mentioned by @Uhrmensch as 12mm is high.

About the size of the subdials mentioned by @murokello, I cannot state anything on its readability.

36mm is the largest size I consider. About El Primero 38mm mentioned by @jwillson, I am pretty convinced it may not really fit my wrist, although it looks much flatter than this watch. Larger than 36mm does not fit my wrist in general.

@GrouchoM, I have seen vintage 50s manual winding chronos from Zenith that were 34 or 35mm. Whilst I like the size, I am not so convinced about the truly vintage look and the manual winding. Do you have any concrete model?
    Have you thought about changing the watch shape?

I have a JLC Reverso Memory (albeit one of my heaviest watches due to gold content) They did make them in SST as well. It is my smallest watch at 23mm by 42mm, but probably my favorite. Only a 60 minute fly-back Chrono though. No hours or seconds.

JLC does make other Reverso Chronos. And there are other square watch brands too.... just don't get the massive Monaco

My Wrist is about 6.5" for refrence

Name:  20190103_212317.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  125.5 KB

Name:  20190103_213558.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  186.3 KB

Pic of SST version from Web.

Name:  60cda2261037cf8db82704732bdcd908959dcca2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  157.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

I'm going to be a real world contrarian and say 33mm will look like you're wearing your wife's/mother's watch, even with a small wrist size.
    Benzsiam likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information