Can anyone help ID my vintage Girard Perregaux watch + should I refinish the dial?

Thread: Can anyone help ID my vintage Girard Perregaux watch + should I refinish the dial?

Can anyone help ID my vintage Girard Perregaux watch + should I refinish the dial?

I am new to watchuseek, I have an old vintage Girard Perregaux gold watch in original box, it runs and seems to keep good time but has some cosmetic issues I would like some guidance on. I would also like any help I can get in identifying the watch. I know only a little about vintage watches but know enough to recognize this is a high end brand and could have some collector value therefor I seek advice from the experts on what to do or not to do to this watch. Is it better to retain the watch's original integrity or should I invest in having the discolored dial refinished. I do not want to hurt the collector value of the watch and hope eventually to find it a new home with someone who will appreciate its vintage charm. My watch is a winder and in running condition and keeping good time. It has a curved back, the case is yellow gold and the back is marked with either a "W" or "V" superimposed on another "V" and 10K GOLD FILLED. The dial is rectangular shaped and just under 1 inch long and about 3/4 inch across. Dial looks like it has a silvery finish but seems to have a yellow gold fogginess over the center area. The dial also has some wear and the watchmakers name is no longer legible and there appears to be some dirt/lint. Curved crystal looks original and seems to be in decent shape. All 3 hands are gold as are the numbers around the face, the second hand is separate from the other 2 hands and is in a rectangular box at the bottom of the dial. All 3 hands move normally when the watch is wound, but marks inside the second hand box show some slight wear. The watch strap is a thick brown leather that tapers in slightly where it attaches to the watch and has stitching all the way around with rounded tip on one end, silvery buckle on other end, strap is still functional but it is old and worn looking. Original box is long dark navy blue almost black hard hinged case with peach color silk lining under lid with words "Girard-Perregaux" "FOUNDED IN GENEVA 1791" and peach color velvet insert that holds the watch in place. On the outside of the case is what looks like a coat of arms inside a circle with the watchmaker's name around. The watch is not in mint condition, it is a winder and still runs but the dial shows some degradation due to age and the leather band looks old and worn. I had a jeweler look at it and he thinks it could use cleaning and he said he could send the dial out to refinish it but I am reluctant to have him do that since he had never even heard of the name "Girard Perregaux". I am wondering if anyone can give me guidance as to what to do with this watch or point me to a source of information. Thanks!

Re: Can anyone help ID my vintage Girard Perregaux watch + should I refinish the dial?

Just have it serviced.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Can anyone help ID my vintage Girard Perregaux watch + should I refinish the dial?

Please add some pics.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have it serviced. Most collectors of vintage watches would prefer originality in the dial.
    Rick

Incoming: Heuer Autavia 'Siffert'

Deleted...
    Last edited by zgold922; January 19th, 2012 at 01:29.

+1

A picture is worth a thousand words and might get your watch identified a lot quicker.

Hi! If you go to the contact link at the GP website (Contact - Girard-Perregaux swiss haute horlogerie manufacture) you can submit serial # and description to get an ID. A member of their team will answer to you and then you can send them pics. :)

Thread Information