Chopard Alpine Eagle - New release - what are your thoughts?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Chopard Alpine Eagle - New release - what are your thoughts?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Chopard Alpine Eagle - New release - what are your thoughts?

Hi everyone,

While the hype is still very much alive around the steel sports watches, Chopard just released a new model to compete with the Overseas, RO and Nautilus.
    Named Alpine Eagle, it is a re-interpretation of a watch designed in the 1980s (the St. Mortiz) with integrated bracelet by Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, who later became CEO of Chopard.

They claim that the "Lucent Steel" is much harder than regular steel, and has a lot of other qualities (resistant to abrasion and high reflective properties). It has just been released and I have not seen it in the flesh, I am curious to know if this is just a marketing gimmick or an actual great idea.
    At first glance, I do like the look of the bracelet a lot more than the Laureato for instance, or the Overseas. I also quite enjoy the texture of the dial, but I question the position of the date.

Manufacture movement, 100m WR, comes in 41 or 36 mm with a blue or slate dial, and in two tone models also.

So, the question is, hot or not?

Name:  Watchwatches-Chopard-Alpine-Eagle-cover.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  ln-chopard-9-19-05.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  ln-chopard-9-19-06.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  ln-chopard-9-19-08.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  68.8 KB

All the best,
    A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Chopard Alpine Eagle - New release - what are your thoughts?

NOT.

The case screws are flat-out ugly, IMO. Romans are squat and chunky looking. The date window is an utter abomination in every way...awful location, horrible clash of colors and fonts, chops up the dial.

I'll buy the dial treatment. I can even buy the indices and Roman numerals...if you take out the bezel and the screws, or at least make the bezel MUCH!!! thinner. Spread the dial out, and the proportions probably work out. If you MUST have date? Big date at 4, not particularly close to the edge, works much better, a la, say, GO or some Langes.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

As much as I like the look, a big no on integrated bracelets.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mind: I like several Chopards. I like the RO...and even the Classic Fusion. So it's not the brand, it's not the look in general, it's the execution here.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I personally don't really like the screws' position, or the crown guards on both sides. However I think the Roman numerals work well, and the bracelet looks a lot like the first generation Overseas, which is a plus for me. The overall design doesn't look as timeless and modern though as the RO or overseas. And while I like the shape of the hands, I don't really like how they end on the short side.

But I really want to see it in the flesh, as I feel it may be a lot more interesting than it looks in pictures. I remember being very impressed by the Polo S in person, whereas the pictures did nothing to me.

I think now, apart from Lange, even smaller brands have their steel sports watch with integrated bracelets! Missing only Blancpain, Ulysse Nardin and Parmigiani maybe (JLC is almost there with the polaris and geophysic on bracelet).
    PP Nautilus, AP RO, VC Overseas, UJ The One, GP Laureato, Chopard Alpine, Breguet Marine, Piaget Polo S, Cartier Santos, Zenith Defy, GO Seventies Panorama Date, Hublot Classic fusion, IWC Ingenieur 3239. Power to the customers, or just overdose...

Sorry, a no go for me. Yet another uninspired derivative of the Genta design. Nay to the Romans, nay to the derivative case shape, nay to the screws, and double nay for the horrid date. What’s worse than a date at 4:30? An oversized date at 4:30.

Sorry, not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it, actually, but don't think that it's direct competition for the Overseas, Royal Oak, or Nautilus. Rather, I think it slots in with the GP Laureato and Piaget Polo S.
    Sebast975 and Tick Talk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    I like it, actually, but don't think that it's direct competition for the Overseas, Royal Oak, or Nautilus. Rather, I think it slots in with the GP Laureato and Piaget Polo S.
    Anyone knows its price? I have seen $17,000 Australian dollars, which would be just below $12k.
    I found another picture online dating from the 24th of September, looks like this fashion magazine who knows nothing about watches had no idea it was a model they were not supposed to reveal...
    Name:  fall-fashion-drops-gq-october-2019-02.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  255.0 KB

Interesting. and aaaalmost there, but IMO it's overstylized. Trying too hard, perhaps, to be Genta-fied.
    I personally don't mind the date, and I like the dial's texture. However, I would have preferred a less wide bezel, smaller screws, evenly spaced screws, no faux crown guard on the left side, and smaller indices.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

I actually quite like the dial texture, amicable on the roman numerals and date.

But the rest of the watch is literally a mesh of RO, Nautilus, and Overseas (bracelet looks like those in Gen 1), so much so that i don't think I can fathom putting that on my wrist and not look like a poser.

If Chopard just went without the bezel screws and the crown guards, it will look a lot more appealing.
    SolarPower likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information