CONFUSED about perpetual calendar watches
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: CONFUSED about perpetual calendar watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CONFUSED about perpetual calendar watches

Seeing several ebay auctions for watches that are being called "perpetual calendars" from some big names as Piaget & Blancpain.
    They look a couple decades older, 80's-90's, and have the "full calendar" sub dials displays on the dial -Month, Day, Date, maybe a moon phase as well.

There is even a Christie's auction listing a Piaget Perpetual calendar, Ref. 15958 (Google it) that does a nice write-up on the type I'm referring to.
    They too call it a perpetual calendar.

MY CONFUSION: None of these mentioned above have a leap year indicator, and I thought a perp calendar would need to show one? Otherwise, how do you know what year the watch is set to and what leap year cycle year you are in to know if it's set correctly? How do you set it?

I thought the watches that have all these date sub dials are either: Full calendars, triple calendars, possibly annual calendars --but NOT perpetual calendars.

Re: CONFUSED about perpetual calendar watches

Perpetuals compensate for Leap Years.

They’re not – they are annual calendars (at best) listed by idiots or using search manipulation to get theirs to show up when filtering out the stuff you purposefully don’t want included.
    The Piaget ones I can’t even see buttons to push, and if all the calendar functions are done purely through the crown, there must be an extra position to set them, since a bi-directional position 1 would affect only two of the three.
    If I had to guess, I’d say those aren’t even ACs, and you’ll be manually changing the date/month every time there’s less than 31 days in the month.
    Even the Blancpain GMT one has AC mentioned in its description, and eBay’s filtering somehow managed to convince itself that a Patek 5196 was a PC!
    As always, scrutinise everything thoroughly, and use Google’s image search to see better photos and compare to what’s on offer – then you can be sure about what exactly is listed and which complications it does or doesn’t have.
    And listers have a habit (more so on C24) of re-using previous listings as a template, because they’re lazy sods and can’t be bothered to proofread before hitting the submit button.
    Last edited by PJ S; October 28th, 2017 at 16:28.
    chatter210, Tick Talk and gangrel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy or missing something very basis. You're right on about the Piaget listed with Christie's...no manual pushers anywhere to adjust individual dials. BUT on Christie's???
    Shame.

Gavox Aurora

UTC/GMT
    All possible timezones worldwide (96)
    Perpetual calendar including leapyears
    Day/Date and Month
    Countdown timer to 32 hours
    Stopwatch chronometer to 32 hours
    Moonphase
    Power save mode
    Unique Soprod Mecatronic quartz movement
    4-7 year battery life

Mikavulin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Gavox Aurora

UTC/GMT
    All possible timezones worldwide (96)
    Perpetual calendar including leapyears
    Day/Date and Month
    Countdown timer to 32 hours
    Stopwatch chronometer to 32 hours
    Moonphase
    Power save mode
    Unique Soprod Mecatronic quartz movement
    4-7 year battery life
    Confused F71 w F381....

(quartz perpetual calendar is relatively easy and cheap to produce, and is as relevant to this discussion as iPhone calendar)
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Perhaps they're using perpetual the same way Rolex uses "perpetual", in other words, automatic self-winding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IG: Tavio_George

Quote Originally Posted by MarqDePombal View Post
    Perhaps they're using perpetual the same way Rolex uses "perpetual", in other words, automatic self-winding.
    Most likely not. I'll buy "clueless gits" much more readily.

You would hope a perp cal movement would incorporate a year-cycle subdial for setting purposes...on the back is fine, even sensible. (It's not needed very often.) Not sure this is always the case, tho.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Confused F71 w F381....

(quartz perpetual calendar is relatively easy and cheap to produce, and is as relevant to this discussion as iPhone calendar)
    You are right the microchip in the Gavox Aurora has the knowledge of perpetual calendar however the novelty is the way I can show the day, date, month, year with this watch and only 3 hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as a quick summary:

"Calendar" means a date display.

"Full calendar" means day, month, and date displays. A moonphase is often also included.

"Annual Calendar" means that the movement compensates for 30 and 31-day months. Its date must be reset at the end of every February. Some companies have created a countwheel that also handles the normal 28-day February, so that it only has to be corrected every leap year.

"Perpetual" means that the movement compensates for February and leap year, too.

You can tell modern full perpetual-calendar watches because they either show a four-year month display (to account for leap year), the year, or the offset into the leap-year cycle. There are vintage perpetual-calendar watches that don't tell you where you are in the leap-year cycle, but I'm glad I never have to set one.

Rick "who came close to owning an Ebel BTR Chronograph Perpetual Calendar but didn't pull the trigger" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information