For a Datograph U/D and Triple Split, would you trade:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PJ S
  • 1 Post By mark1958

Thread: For a Datograph U/D and Triple Split, would you trade:

For a Datograph U/D and Triple Split, would you trade:

I have the following thee watches which I’m contemplating trading for a Platinum Datograph Up/Down and a Triple Split. Assume the trade is cashless.

1) FPJ Monopusher Rattrapante, in Platinum
    2) Lange 1815 Chrono Boutique Edition
    3) Lange Langemarik Perpetual Calendar in Honey Gold (LE)

Notable other watches in my collection include an FPJ Chrono Bleu and a Lange WG Zeitwerk, neither of which I ever intend to sell. And Dozens is Nomos watches which I most wear when doing stuff with kids, don’t want to attract attention, etc.

Why?
    I like dark dials and I think the Dato (daily), Zeitwerk (weekends), Triple Split (statement piece) would be a killer set,

The problem is I like all three of the potential watches I’d need to put into the trade. The Honey Gold Langematic is the ultimate 38.5mm stealth daily though a bit too stingy/formal in feel. The Platinum FPJ is great for sporty weekend activities where the Zeitwerk would be out of place (no complaints at all), and the 1815 Chrono just wears so beautifully but it bothers me that it’s not the iconic Dato.

Re: For a Datograph U/D and Triple Split, would you trade:

Seems like a great dilemma to have.
    My questions would be
    1) Are you going to miss a perpetual in the lineup?
    2) Are you going to find the datograph and triple split redundant in any way
    Ultimately, you can't go wrong either way. Best of luck!

As I see it:
    You’d be giving up a brand that is on the rise, and the rattrapante is a bit more conventional, and possibly functionally usable, than the Centigraphe.
    The movement appearance is getting on for iconic status in its own right, not to mention the rose gold colour offering something a bit different to admire from time to time.
    As much as the Datograph is iconic, to view the 1815 Chrono as playing second fiddle really is doing it a serious disservice – it more than holds its own against its sibling.
    The Langematik Perpetual is a nice piece, and the HG versions were LEs, totalling no more than 1000 pieces. Even so, I’ve never found the colour to be anything other than alright, and bar a select few pieces, the low number hasn’t resulted in being highly prized or much sought after. The layout of the PC doesn’t work for me too, with the overlap on the month sub-dial, and the movement side is far from the visual treat that the FPJ/Dato/1815 are.

In regards to the Triple Split… it’s an absolute beast of a watch, and is definitely one you should seriously consider pursuing. For the purpose of constructive input and suggestions, putting some numbers on the pieces being considered would prove useful.
    Is it a case of only getting the TS if you take the Dato too or can both be purchased independently of the other.
    My initial thought at this stage would be to ditch the PC and even the 1815, for the TS, with a view to adding the 1815 AC so as to have a different complication than chronographs.
    That said, with FPJ and ALS featuring prominently, you might want to consider something considered as left field, in the form of De Bethune or Urban Jurgensen, or as you seem particular to Germanic brands, maybe a Moritz Grossmann.
    Techniec likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No - not "more" special enough than the already special 3 you mentioned.

I think I would just to change up the collection greatly in one shot.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post
    2) Lange 1815 Chrono Boutique Edition
    i would go with the Lange 1815 chrono, you won't be needing it when you have the Datograph
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

double post
    Last edited by Azizu; April 4th, 2020 at 22:09. Reason: double post
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

Quote Originally Posted by R_rated View Post
    No - not "more" special enough than the already special 3 you mentioned.
    I think you're right. I gave this more thought, and here's my latest thinking.

In terms of trade-in value, I'd be trading the Langematik Perpetual ($85K MSRP) + 1815 Chronograph ($52K MSRP) for the Triple Split ($130K-ish, I think) and the FPJ ($100K) for the Dato U/D ($90K). Financially, it's a pretty fair trade -- no one really comes out ahead.

But that said:
    1) The FPJ Monopusher Rattrapante is definitely more special than the Dato U/D. My understanding is FPJ has only made ~30 of the Monopusher Rattrapante movements, likely less than 10 in platinum. There are more than 10 Dato U/Ds for sale pre-owned on Chrono 24 right now. Even the humble 1815 Chrono Boutique Edition is harder to find than the Datograph U/D. The FPJ is on a hammer-finished full platinum bracelet. Technically, the FPJ also probably has the edge: Both have big date but the monopusher split-second chrono I think edges ahead of the Dato's flyback functionality.

2) The Langematik Honey Gold and the Triple Split are both an LE of 100 pieces.

3) My concern trading the Langematik + 1815 Chrono for the Triple Split is I'm basically giving up two VERY WEARABLE watches for a 43 x 16mm beast of a watch. I'm a small guy, 6.5 inch wrist, 155 lbs. I wonder how often I'd really end up wearing the Triple Split. I think that's something I have to just save up for an add to the collection, not something that can come in place of these two.

.... so now the options I'm considering are either:
    Option A) trading the Langematik Perpetual HG + 1815 Chrono for a Datograph Perpetual. I get my iconic Dato (but a sort of uber datograph) while keeping a QP AND Lange Chronograph in the line-up. The WG/Gray Dato QP I find particularly fetching, if just a tad illegible. The Dato QP is a bit bulkier and less dressy than the 1815 Chrono, but wears well enough and trades some thinness for versatility (I find the 1815 Chorno a bit formal for jeans/T-shirt though that's where my FPJs and Zeitwerk come in). I think the main thing that turns me off are the legibility and the 36 hour PR being a bit weak for a manually wound QP. That said, a QP Chrono really is the kind of ultimate daily wearer and the quick-set pusher on the Dato Perpetual makes resetting a breeze. Basically I get to combine two watches into one. So I don't know... maybe that's the answer.

or

Option B) Trading the 1815 Chrono for the Dato U/D + $15-20K cash, and keeping the Langematik HG, which is the only non-white-metal watch in my lineup currently and nice for when I want a more classic look. And the Dato U/D, though perhaps more "common" than the Perpetual, I think TBH probably the most recognizable and best looking of the bunch.

In either case, the Triple Split will have to wait.

I probably wouldn't ... much prefer the dial of the original Datograph (might be biased here) to the U/D, and the Triple Split, whilst a technical marvel, is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes (I LOVE the Double Split, though). Stick with what you have (which is awesome btw, kudos), and maybe add a Double Split in plat at some point.

Cheers,

Pieter
    Current rotation:

A. Lange & Söhne Datograph (PT)
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph (WG)
    A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Soirée (WG)
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph (26320ST)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon (1975)
    Patek Philippe 5146J Annual Calendar
    Rolex Daytona 116520
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 16700
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
    Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (WG)

I would do it... I have the Datograph up down albeit in rose gold, double split platinum (debated about the triple split), and 1815 rattrapante perpetual in platinum.. I had a timezone 1 but sold it.. The datograph up down and triple split are mechanistic marvels. I think the PR indicator is the most important complication after the time so I appreciate that Lange includes these on many of their pieces. Moreover I like when they do not consume the whole dial like on the three Langes I own.
    Techniec likes this.

Thread Information