Easiest high end watch to service
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Easiest high end watch to service

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Easiest high end watch to service

The recent post by @mnf67 showing off his Blancpain 7002 (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/w...l#post50975311) made me think of the topic.

Since the movement in that watch is based on the Peseux 7001, I presume that most independent watchmakers would be able to service it, even with the modified bridges. I'm actually not sure if this is true so maybe someone who knows can comment on this too.

So, drawing on the experience of this subforum, what high end watches do you all think are serviceable by a solid independent watchmaker?

Re: Easiest high end watch to service

I'm not a watchmaker but it probably also depends on whether required parts are available from the high-end manufacturer. Many time only movements are probably relatively easy to service by a competent watchmaker but if manufacturers won't sell the parts then it might not be possible to service the watch. Some manufacturers which might be considered high-end like IWC and Cartier make or have made watches with ETA movements so they are of course easily serviceable by independent watchmakers but it's a separate question whether these watches should really be considered high-end.
    KtWUS likes this.

Hmmmm, off hand, I'd say Thomas Prescher, many of his watches use a 2824, some of his others - ???????
    KtWUS likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd imagine that if any parts needed replacement, the watch's owner might want the parts to be finished using haute techniques as opposed to just functional.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!
    KtWUS likes this.

Maybe this was too much of a demand - how about restricting the parameters to a purely routine service (stripping it down, cleaning, and oiling) with no part replacements necessary?

I don't have much experience with servicing watches so I don't have any idea what the frequency of part replacements is if you service regularly (say every 5 years or so).

How high end are you enquiring about? Non-Coax Speedy, Daytona, Submariner or just Trinity+ Lange and up?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

I'd say let's keep at least hand-finishing on the movement present. So not a Daytona.

Just a couple more contenders in mind:
    1) Speake Marin previous gen watches using ETA 2824 base
    2) Ochs und Junior ETA 2824-based watches
    3) Keaton Myrick/Lang & Heyne using Unitas 6498/7
    4) Gerber using ETA/Peseux 7001 modified into automatic
    5) Habring using ETA/Valjoux 7750

These are all watches in a similar spirit to the Blancpain - finely finished but with modifications to ETA movements.

A similar set of watches may be vintage-based watches with fairly common movements:
    1) Loomes using Smiths 10
    2) Atelier de Chronometrie using Omega 266
    3) Voutilainen Observatoire using Peseux 260

The big question I have through all these examples is - just how easy/hard is it for a competent independent watchmaker to service them? Finishing, on its own, shouldn't make the movements more difficult to service unless parts require replacements right? The technical modifications, I guess it depends.

This all ties in with the hope that some of us have for considerable longevity in our watches. Someone other than the brands themselves should hopefully be able to service these things.

As a rule of thumb I've not included any in-house movements, nor complications. I presume that most in-house movements have features and techniques for disassembly/assembly that would preclude them from the list.
    Last edited by KtWUS; February 16th, 2020 at 01:19.
    Sebast975 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KtWUS View Post
    I'd say let's keep at least hand-finishing on the movement present. So not a Daytona.

Just a couple more contenders in mind:
    1) Speake Marin previous gen watches using ETA 2824 base
    2) Ochs und Junior ETA 2824-based watches
    3) Keaton Myrick using Unitas 6498
    4) Gerber using ETA/Peseux 7001 modified into automatic
    5) Habring using ETA/Valjoux 7750

These are all watches in a similar spirit to the Blancpain - finely finished but with modifications to ETA movements.

A similar set of watches may be vintage-based watches with fairly common movements:
    1) Loomes using Smiths 10
    2) Atelier de Chronometrie using Omega 266
    3) Voutilainen Observatoire using Peseux 260

The big question I have through all these examples is - just how easy/hard is it for a competent independent watchmaker to service them? Finishing, on its own, shouldn't make the movements more difficult to service unless parts require replacements right? The technical modifications, I guess it depends.

This all ties in with the hope that some of us have for considerable longevity in our watches. Someone other than the brands themselves should hopefully be able to service these things.

As a rule of thumb I've not included any in-house movements, nor complications. I presume that most in-house movements have features and techniques for disassembly/assembly that would preclude them from the list.
    Well, even for a simple service, I'd be nervous giving my ochs und junior moon phase to someone not familiar with the brand. There are, after all, five custom parts in it that would need to be put back exactly the way they went in. I'm not at all technical, so I don't know if that would be easy or hard for someone who'd never seen one before.
    KtWUS and Sebast975 like this.

According to that Hodinkee article on the three simple time only watches, the Vacheron 4400 was designed to be "serviceable by anybody that has expertise in high-end movements". So that one gets my vote.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...al-dress-watch
    KtWUS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Well, even for a simple service, I'd be nervous giving my ochs und junior moon phase to someone not familiar with the brand. There are, after all, five custom parts in it that would need to be put back exactly the way they went in. I'm not at all technical, so I don't know if that would be easy or hard for someone who'd never seen one before.
    I would feel the same about Habring.

ETA base calibers they may be, but I'm not letting just any old watchmaker tinker with a dead seconds / rattrapante / fuodroyante movement. And these complications are habrings bread and butter.
    KtWUS, Sebast975 and nickuk like this.
    Current Collection: Tudor Pelagos Blue, JLC Master Geographic, Seagull 1963

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information