Elusive Unicorn Watch Does Not Exist??
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Elusive Unicorn Watch Does Not Exist??

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

After years of low dollar/volume collecting for myself, wife and daughter - I am looking to find my main daily wearer. I currently do not have anything in my collection over $1,500 so this is the piece to ultimately pass on to the next generation. I just do not seem to be able to find the one that speaks to the mind and heart.

I have had a soft spot for JLC since I read an article about the Extreme Lab 2 a number of years back and subsequently their history. So perhaps at this point I am trying to push too much to make this purchase a JLC. Below is what I think i want but cannot fully find a match for all criteria:

-Budget: Something like 5k pre-worn, would probably go $7,500 for something perfect
    -Wrist: Just over 8" - it seems no one ever talks about what to put on a big wrist but always asks if a watch is too big. For me i wonder if a 41.5 like the JLC MC line is too small. It also seems hard to find a pre-owned bracelet that is not missing links and will cover my wrist
    -At this point I have moved beyond the need for dress shirts and suits daily and only get that formal less than 10 times a year but it still might be nice to be able to fit under a cuff.
    -No Rolex, no Breitling or Nomos
    -My feeling is I would like something 60% dress and 40% sport - or maybe the other way around. I have so many divers, G-shocks, Suunto, etc. that I think it must be 60% dress but I am hard on the equipment and cannot get away from that feeling
    -Does something like this exist in about 44mm x 12mm exist?
    -Currently my #1 option is JLC MC Memovox or Chrono 2. Second option is GO...Sport Evo, Sport Evo Impact or Senator Observer- but read here and there that they take short cuts on unseen components and it may not have the brand weight of JLC or value in future.

Thoughts on the JLC vs GO above? Any other options that fit the need?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
    Last edited by Trizzane; August 22nd, 2019 at 02:55.
    Tongdaeng likes this.

Re: Elusive Unicorn Watch Does Not Exist??

Blancpain Bathyscaphe? in the 60% sport category

Only slightly under 44mm. My calipers put it (my ceramic blue) at 43.6mm x 13.8mm
    White gold markers and stunning sunburst dial give it a little dressier feel than many dive watches.
    Name:  20190802_173013.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  20190803_155317.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  160.4 KB

You can go bigger and dressier too with the full polished classic FF. These are 45mm
    Name:  Blancpain-Fifty-Fathoms-221.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  237.6 KB

Both will run max you budget with open box / light use.

Should add. If your "next generation" is most likely your daughter, maybe a smaller watch is in order too?

"-Does something like this exist in about 44mm x 12mm exist?" Yes, but rare, and often very expensive in the High Horology houses. There seems to be no middle ground in the 4-12K where these exist.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

Are you prepared for higher priced service costs?
    Grand Seiko is often cited as a dress/sport watch that shoots above its cost.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You could consider the GO Senator Observer, pretty much exactly the size you’ve mentioned, although it wears a bit smaller (picture is on my 7.25” wrist).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thank you guys for the quick replies.

-I am luke warm on the Bathyscape but the FF is along side - or above my JLC attachment, but I thought reasonable examples of those were 10K+ and out of reach
    -On the GS - I am on board with their attention to dial detail and even movements in most cases but worry about future value - but have also read once their quality is appreciated the value may increase. When I looked around at them most cases seemed too close to 'generic' styling and did not match the standout design of the dials.
    -As for passing on to my daughter - she will get the other 40 pieces to keep to remember me by and possibly wear the smaller ones. This one would be for her to decide what to do with - wear it big or sell it and buy her family a Caribbean/Mediterranean cruise - as long as she has some memory built from it I won't turn over in my grave. :)
    -The GO Senator Observer is one on my short list but I am weighing the GO vs JLC vs...other

Thoughts on GO vs JLC? And is the JLC MC line going to prove too small for my visuals? I am about 90 mins from a place to try one in the flesh (Tourneau or Govberg Philly) so I need to plan a trip.

Thanks again guys!
    SethThomas likes this.

Oh, Groucho, I am fine with an additional 1k or so ever 5 years'ish - but I have a Halios Lauguna that I wear quite often with a 2824-2 and as of yesterday is +4 seconds after about 7-8 years with no service. If i get the same with any other in house I am fine with the thousand here and there to keep it there. Otherwise I would consider more weight to IWC and their ETAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trizzane View Post
    Wow, thank you guys for the quick replies.

-I am luke warm on the Bathyscape but the FF is along side - or above my JLC attachment, but I thought reasonable examples of those were 10K+ and out of reach
    -On the GS - I am on board with their attention to dial detail and even movements in most cases but worry about future value - but have also read once their quality is appreciated the value may increase. When I looked around at them most cases seemed too close to 'generic' styling and did not match the standout design of the dials.
    -As for passing on to my daughter - she will get the other 40 pieces to keep to remember me by and possibly wear the smaller ones. This one would be for her to decide what to do with - wear it big or sell it and buy her family a Caribbean/Mediterranean cruise - as long as she has some memory built from it I won't turn over in my grave. :)
    -The GO Senator Observer is one on my short list but I am weighing the GO vs JLC vs...other

Thoughts on GO vs JLC? And is the JLC MC line going to prove too small for my visuals? I am about 90 mins from a place to try one in the flesh (Tourneau or Govberg Philly) so I need to plan a trip.

Thanks again guys!
    IMO I think the JLC MC line will wear too small for your tastes, but you definitely should try on as many different things as you can when you make your trip. As to GO vs. JLC generally, I would say from a fit and finish point of view they are very similar--which is to say very good indeed (although not to a Patek or Lange standard, of course).

Have you looked at Breguet?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

I am worried about it wearing too small - I like the the Momovox alarm complication as I could still use it if nothing else but a novelty - my 90% travel days are behind me so the GMT/world timers are not really of use anymore. The GO Observer is a really nice piece - but I have it stuck in my head that I will be so happy to don a JLC daily but not sure I feel the same about the GO. Mental block I need to overcome I think. I also need to get over the need for water resistance - but I am not sure i can get past the want for a tough movement - to play golf in for example. The 970 Autotractors in some of the MC line is something I like the idea of. Are these types of movements less sturdy than a ETA?

Thanks again!

Groucho, i do in fact like the Breguet Marine - I have an affinity of the big dates - you all are connecting to my wavelength. It also seemed to be above my price cap though. I generally only review the larger sale sites for pricing so perhaps I need to cruise the forums more to get some 'real world' pricing. I also thought they were 40MM or so as well. I may need to revisit.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information