FP Journe collecting: AD vs Boutique

Thread: FP Journe collecting: AD vs Boutique

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Question for all you FPJ collectors out there. I’ve been buying all my watches for the last couples years from the same AD who sells both ALS and FPJ, which are the two “high end” brands I collect in addition to Nomos. Naturally, my interests are starting to evolve from FPJ’s new pieces to more esoteric limited editions and such (e.g. I want to collect all 3 Vagabondage pieces and really like some of the Ruthenium pieces). Would you recommend establishing a relationship with a Boutique and buying all future new FPJs from them or continuing to buy from my AD where consolidating my purchasing across the multiple brands I collect gets me discounts and white glove treatment. I’ve been pretty loyal to my AD and it’s served me well, but I figure as I start looking at auction block and out of production models I’m going to have to start diversifying my business anyway (for both FPJ and ALS really, but for some reason my AD seems to have better access to ALS headquarters than the more whimsical Mr Journe). Thoughts?

Re: FP Journe collecting: AD vs Boutique

Why not buy from a used dealer like Watchbox?

Headache-free to deal with and you end up saving a ton of money.

I barely lost any money when I sold the AP I bought from them and it arrived just as described, freshly serviced, without any issues. Plus if you ever get bored of the watch it's easy to sell something you bought from them given their reputation.

I am probably buying a Resonance from them soon-ish...just waiting to make sure the new March Resonance isn't super ridiculously awesome.

AD.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The NY boutique doesn't seem to have better or even more pieces compared to Shrev's.

If I'm in the market for an exotic FPJ, I would probably trust the AD to get one moreso than the boutique.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

I’ll share with you a recent experience that I actually went through with and AD in the country I live. So this AD caries several high end pieces and they do mark them up to give you the feeling that they are giving you a discount. They carry one of the holly trinity brands and as of recent the group decided that the market was so big it could handle them both. The AD attempted to cut the group off by offering larger discounts (a little too late I must say) then the group threatened the AD to take the tepresentation rights back from them. So now both are competing in the same market.
    The AD is most of the time welling to give a discount to move inventory that is holding cash, whereas the boutique won’t give any discounts (except in very rare occasions) and would rather give you freebies like straps and traveling pouch. If I was in your situation I would go for who would give me the best price. I hate to buy something at full price knowing that I could’ve got it for 10, 15 or even 20% off.
    That’s just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe 5170G
    Patek Philippe 5146G
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150/B01A-9097
    Blancpain Villeret Quantieme Complete 6263A (20 years anniversary edition limited 300 pieces)
    Rolex Datejust 116234 JSRR
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR
    Baume & Mercier Clifton Annual Calendar Chronograph M0A10280
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006

@azizu787

I'm open to buying from Watchbox/Govberg, European Watch and the like. But to be honest most of the time their used prices don't end up being much more than 5-10% cheaper that what I'd pay new after a solid AD discount. And for 5% more, I'd rather just have the pleasure and peace of mind of buying new. I also don't really intend to be flipping watches, constantly trading up like many other do. I'm adding 1-2 high end pieces to my collection each year. But I'm still comparatively new to this and perhaps if my tastes dramatically change in a couple years and I feel the urge to sell a dozen Langes and FPJs at a 20% loss I'll feel differently.

Most of the limited edition FPJ pieces I've seen over the last couple years seem to be boutique-only releases. For example, let's say I had wanted to buy the Titanium cased, ruthenium dial, rose gold hand, with red strap versions of the Tokyo Anniversary watches (such as these: https://www.fpjourne.com/patrimoine-le-bilan). Or what if I had wanted one of the 30th Anniversary Tourbillons. Would my North American AD have been able to get them for me, or would I have needed a connection to a Boutique? There are so few of these watches made, waiting for them to show up on the secondary market could take years. Having a way to snap them up upon release would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post
    I'm open to buying from Watchbox/Govberg, European Watch and the like. But to be honest most of the time their used prices don't end up being much more than 5-10% cheaper that what I'd pay new after a solid AD discount. And for 5% more, I'd rather just have the pleasure and peace of mind of buying new. I also don't really intend to be flipping watches, constantly trading up like many other do. I'm adding 1-2 high end pieces to my collection each year. But I'm still comparatively new to this and perhaps if my tastes dramatically change in a couple years and I feel the urge to sell a dozen Langes and FPJs at a 20% loss I'll feel differently.

Most of the limited edition FPJ pieces I've seen over the last couple years seem to be boutique-only releases. For example, let's say I had wanted to buy the Titanium cased, ruthenium dial, rose gold hand, with red strap versions of the Tokyo Anniversary watches (such as these: https://www.fpjourne.com/patrimoine-le-bilan). Or what if I had wanted one of the 30th Anniversary Tourbillons. Would my North American AD have been able to get them for me, or would I have needed a connection to a Boutique? There are so few of these watches made, waiting for them to show up on the secondary market could take years. Having a way to snap them up upon release would be easier.
    Have you directly contacted the AD about availability? My impression (with my AD) is that they can get just about anything if you put money down and there's one available somewhere.

Only they can tell you what they can get - and with the extremely limited number of FPJ boutiques in NA, I'd be surprised if they can't work something out.

Personally, I prefer to deal with AD's whenever possible, and going to the boutique in NYC left me a bit cold re: reception (although among high end boutiques it was probably one of the better experiences).
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

My experience w/ boutiques has been so-so at best. They don't seem as knowledgeable as they ought to be. My favorite AD has made me some great deals over the years and I am loyal to them.

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post

I'm pretty sure Govberg is an AD for FP Journe?
    https://www.govbergwatches.com/shop/...-lune-reserve/

Guessing spend carries over. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhanming057 View Post
    Have you directly contacted the AD about availability? My impression (with my AD) is that they can get just about anything if you put money down and there's one available somewhere.

Only they can tell you what they can get - and with the extremely limited number of FPJ boutiques in NA, I'd be surprised if they can't work something out.

Personally, I prefer to deal with AD's whenever possible, and going to the boutique in NYC left me a bit cold re: reception (although among high end boutiques it was probably one of the better experiences).
    Yes, I also have always preferred ADs. They've just always been easier to work with, especially "my" AD."

The FPJ boutique in New York is terrible. The employees there made it seems like answering basic questions was some sort of gigantic favor and they don't really have many watches available to handle. I have been working with someone in the Miami FPJ Boutique and he's been great though, which is kind of what got me thinking maybe I should start directing my FPJ business his way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information