Gerald GEnta is the man behind nearly Every Iconic Watch Design of the 20th Century
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gerald GEnta is the man behind nearly Every Iconic Watch Design of the 20th Century

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gerald GEnta is the man behind nearly Every Iconic Watch Design of the 20th Century

Re: Gerald GEnta is the man behind nearly Every Iconic Watch Design of the 20th Century

to me that's actually a negative, what does it say about these brands if they don't design their own watches?

why do you have these massive companies that bring in billions in revenue, outsourcing design instead of doing it inhouse? what exactly are you paying for?

outsourcing design for a watch company to me is a bigger "crime" than using an outsourced movement....because how a watch looks is literally the most important part of a watch...a nice movement doesn't mean jack if the case sucks

Re: Gerald GEnta is the man behind nearly Every Iconic Watch Design of the 20th Century

^
    Err… Genta designed these “iconic” models way back in the 70s and 80s. Things have changed dramatically in the intervening decades.
    Then again, what does it matter who designs what, if the resultant product is well received.

Ironically, look at what the former Creative Officer of AP is making now – Gorilla watches.
    Just because a company is making hundreds of millions or over a billion, doesn’t mean they have the best creative minds.

That all said, I do wish the mediocre journalism would cease! Genta had sweet FA to do with the Bvlgari Octos – Solotempo, Velocissmo, and Finissimo alike – they came from Bvlgari’s internal design team, in Italy, and are a nod to his Grande Sonnerie Tourbillon design from 1994.
    By 2004, when they debuted, he was long gone from his own brand, having set up a new one called Gerald Charles, which is still operating since his death in 2011.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Even some of the "connections" cited in that article are tortuous at best. And that Rolex Midas? Melt it down for the gold content, recycle the movement, MAYBE, into something that someone might want to wear.

That is the Robb Report; their whole raison d'etre is puffery. That's all that piece is.

To erdini: perhaps they're good at...you know...building watches??? Or they want a different take on a perceived narrow identity. Or whatever. Fully integrated manufacture is a LATE 20th century phenomenon, I believe, it's not a paradigm dating back 3 centuries. QUITE the opposite, in fact. Rolex bought their case and bracelet makers...an article on Gay Freres is here:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...elet-king.html

Piguet made movements and complications for many brands. Rolex chronographs used the El Primero.

The move to have complete vertical integration is as much, or even more, about denying assets to your competitors as it is about making a profit, or streamlining your own operations.
    illumidata likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

... except for the Omega Speedmaster, Tag Heuer Monaco, Zenith A386, Panerai Luminor, IWC Portuguese, almost every single Rolex, etc. Also, how popular has Gerald Genta been as a stand alone brand? He’s got some hits, but not all of them.
    Tohono Rat and ajbutler13 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WTSP View Post
    ... except for the Omega Speedmaster, Tag Heuer Monaco, Zenith A386, Panerai Luminor, IWC Portuguese, almost every single Rolex, etc. Also, how popular has Gerald Genta been as a stand alone brand? He’s got some hits, but not all of them.
    Which single designer/creative has pumped out more hits than Genta?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
    I don't think that is the point. I think the point was that the "nearly every" part of the article is hyperbole. The Genta list is quite a few, but not "nearly every iconic watch".
    Tohono Rat and ajbutler13 like this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Glashutte Original Sixties Panorama Date, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Nope. We're not knocking Genta, we're dissing the Robb Report article big time.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
    None that I know of certainly. I just disagree with the hyperbole of the article, as others have pointed out. Genta has generated a significant number of iconic watch designs, not the majority of them.

The other aspect I find objectionable is that...Genta had some really BAD designs, too. It's unavoidable when you're being experimental and different...some of em will BOMB. (I think that Midas absolutely fits; YMMV.) Yet that article is all about inciting collection fever For Anything Genta...good, bad, or ugly.

There's a strong thread of criticism about Hodinkee, and how they're driving vintage prices up with their "hype" of watches like the Bao Dai or Newman. I'd argue, articles iike this are far worse. Broader, non-WUS audience. Less critical WRT watches. They strive to consider themselves as a luxury style driver. Whether they have much of a market left? Dunno. Print mags are almost all hurtin' puppies. But articles like this may drive dilettantes to hunt down whatever's being hyped, because of the belief these gits know what they're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information