Global Economy and Timing of Purchases
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Global Economy and Timing of Purchases

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Global Economy and Timing of Purchases

Since I was not in the market for anything over $1,000 in 2008-2009, or any previous market downturn, I am curious to know what the buyers market looked like during those times.

With some non-US markets suffering to differing degrees and the possibility of a slump domestically - is it worth waiting a few months or more to see where things go, or is the chance of any real price decreases not worth passing on a piece that is 'just right' today?

Curious if, during an economic downturn (based on past experience):
    -ADs would lower sales prices (from manufacturer direction possibly?) on new units
    -Pre-owned private sellers are more likely to sell at a discount

I have a felling that buyers and owners of higher dollar watches are less likely to sell off regardless of market conditions but perhaps I am wrong. Were you able to pick up exceptional deals in 2008-2009 if you had cash on hand to take advantage of someone who needed to sell or was it really no different. I also am referring to the 5k-15k range to focus the question a bit more.

Thanks

Re: Global Economy and Timing of Purchases

you have the discipline to wait, awesome. I think your observation is true esp for luxury goods and wants. However, If you have been tracking prices and if the price is right and you really want it, go for it. good deals do come by at all times, so I would treat overall prices coming down due to a recession and a "specific " good deal separately, although good deals probably come by more often during a recession.

My $0.02 (that's a good deal)

I am still trying to select my final answer on what I want, so not in a hurry.

Its more about my thought process of...I want to spend 5k, but will go to 7.5k for something I really like, but if prices take a dive and I can get something for 10k that was previously 13-15k (and way out of reach) - well, I will probably end up spending more than planned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Price may not always correlate to what is your favorite or most used. If your budget is that large and you are waiting, why not try some "cheaper" watches <$300 to see what you like in a watch and what you don't like. After I tried a bunch, I found my favorite watch is less than 1/10th price of my most expensive. I could be happy with just 2 watches of my entire collection Seamaster pro and a g shock and both of those set me back <$1,000.

Surly, I didn't preface enough of my back story since this was just a question into how mid-luxury watches behave when the economy slows. I have about 50 watches, some were gifts (i.e. gold Gucci from my mom for high school graduation, wife gift, etc.), some novelty and some I wear frequently - Suunto Traverse, Halios Laguna & King G.

At this point I am looking for something to mark the celebration of a business deal - or sale, really. I will buy this and pass it to my daughter ultimately (not to wear but a remembrance from her dad to pass to future generations - or sell if she ever REALLY needs it). If i can add a few extra thousand to that legacy/her wallet - and get a watch that is normally out of reach for me and can enjoy in my life, I will wait till someone will take less for their sale than they normally would.

If there is no reason to expect a significant value prop in a slow economy, I will not worry about timing and buy when I see what I want.

Thanks for the replies!

You will sell off if your 'debt load' gets to be too much; eating and all that.
    arcadelt likes this.

That is what I am looking for - someone selling a GO SO for $4000, I will be ready to buy 2 of them. I just am not sure that people that buy 11k watches need to later sell them to finance food, if things get a little slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trizzane View Post
    That is what I am looking for - someone selling a GO SO for $4000, I will be ready to buy 2 of them. I just am not sure that people that buy 11k watches need to later sell them to finance food, if things get a little slow.
    I doubt this will happen generally. Most folk who can afford high end watches (Rolex is excluded as they will generally always be easily sold for high prices, at least in Asia) will likely not need to sell off at such low prices. Waiting for it to happen in my opinion could be futile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerTwo View Post
    I doubt this will happen generally. Most folk who can afford high end watches (Rolex is excluded as they will generally always be easily sold for high prices, at least in Asia) will likely not need to sell off at such low prices. Waiting for it to happen in my opinion could be futile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the feedback I am looking for. If there is no point in waiting for something that may never happen, I won't. I was curious, as I was not in the market in the last downturn - If it is not common, I will take what I find as soon as I find it.

That being said, Is anyone having a baby soon that needs to sell a GO SO, GO Sport Evo/Impact, JLC MC or Extreme? I am willing to buy the watch from you as well as send you an Eagles Jersey for your baby, customized to their name! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trizzane View Post
    Most people who can afford high end watches have enough financial leeway to not need to sell them ever. So sadly they won't be letting go of this GO.

But, for flippers who rely on this (example Rolex bubble, possibly PP if that's what you are into) there is no doubt that these prices are difficult to sustain...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information