Good higher end custom watch maker/modifier?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Good higher end custom watch maker/modifier?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good higher end custom watch maker/modifier?

Curious if anyone has a recommendation for a higher end watch maker who is willing to do case work? I've got a somewhat challenging job.

Bonus points for someone in the NYC area.

Thanks!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Re: Good higher end custom watch maker/modifier?

What can you get with those "points"?

Mostly high fives. Perhaps a fist pound.

jsohal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

RGM is willing to do case work. They have their own CNC machines and have made cases in-house before, plus they do custom work. Just a couple of hours away from NYC by car.
    Zhanming057 and mpalmer like this.

Awesome, thanks!

Update: No go for RGM. If anyone else has another rec, that'll be great. Thanks!

Can you provide details about what you want done?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

You'll have better luck getting recommendations by posting on the Public subforum.

Banned
    My watch shopping process began, like that for every other item I might buy, with my considering which of the 4 basic paths I would pursue:
    - Make it myself -> I eliminated this path pretty much instantly (LOL)
    - Custom watch - > My vision executed & guided by a professional.
    - Quasi-custom -> A made-for-me variant of an existing maker's existing design.
    - Off the Rack -> Buy something already designed & built.

I VERY briefly considered going custom instead of OTR & was given a few names of folks to contact, but upon realizing the tradeoffs, price, time & risks, I decided against wasting their time or mine further exploring the prospect.

The names I was given by the salespeople w/whom I discussed my options are:
    - RGM
    - Towson Watch Company - I may be misrecalling, but I think I was told these people make their cases but put other firms' movements inside.
    - Howard Watches
    - Keaton Myron (or something like that)
    - Weiss -> Probably can give you the names of case makers, be it their own suppliers or suppliers whose scale is too small to meet their needs. Try to speak w/their purchaser.
    - Matenero
    - Detroit Watch Company
    - Contact the American Watchmakers I nstitite & Nationsl Association of Watch & Clock Collectors & ask for leads or suggested suppliers

FWIW, I googled "watch case makers USA" & found MPI. You may want to call them & speak w/one of their sales reps to see if they can:
    (a) do the job for you...this could be expensive as you would have to be willing to pay them enough for it to be worth their doing a one-off production run of one just for you, but there's a chance there is some price at which they'll do it, & that price may or may not be more than you're willing to pay. You just need to get them to tell you or give you some ballpark amount so you can decide that for yourself.
    (b) give you the name(s) numbers of artisans or firms they think may be able to help you if they can't or won't do the job for you.

You may want to call firms listed here - http://www.americantimepiece.com/the-brands - and see what they can do for you, again either in terms of doing the job themselves or referring you to a colleague in the industry whom they think may be able to do it.

In any case (no pun), there's surely someone out there filling the market demand for custom made watch cases, but you're gonna have to let your fingers do the walking to find him.

Just keep in mind that at the end of the day, what you're really looking for is, from a fabrication standpoint is metalworking, & there are only so many ways to do that, no matter the size, shape and finishing of the end product. So, if push comes to shove, you may have to manage the project yourself, getting a metalworking firm to make a "raw" case for you & having a watchmaking artisan finish it by turning it into something pretty you can wear. Yes, you have an artful vision of what you want, but it's still manufacturing that brings your vision to life.

Good luck. I wish I could be around to see what materializes for I'm curious to see what your design looks like. Alas, I won't be.

Great, thank you for the wonderful info!!!

So some additional details re what I'm looking for, in case this thread gets more views:

Basically I have a bracelet I'm trying to fit my watch case. It's from the same manufacturer so it sits flush and looks great but unfortunately the lug holes don't line up. I took it to a jeweler who tried but couldn't really get it done properly. Looking for someone better.

Not a great position to be in but I do like the watch and hopefully there's someone who is enterprising enough to take the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information