GP Laureato vs VC Overseas
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    441

    GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    My collection is missing a nice, simple, stainless, bracelet watch. A few years ago I purchased a Bathyscape in lieu of a Sub. Funny that at the time my AD had several option in the case and even offered a discount... boy have things changed in 3 years!

    I feel like I could make the Laureato happen now and it has the heritage and quality of the Overseas... I also prefer the simplicity of the GP bracelet although there's no denying the superior craftsmanship of the overseas bracelet. The movements and case seem to be on par with little specification on paper to justify the 3x price of the Overseas. Does anyone else have either of these? I'm a modest "collector" that doesn't buy with the priority of resale or trends (Obviously, I vent BP > Rolex...) but that doesn't mean I want to knowingly take a bath on something that's not worth anything on the secondary market either. Everything I have gets enjoyed so its not like I have a bunch of perfect pieces.

    Trading $$$ and brand aside - any thoughts on how these stack up on the merits of just the quality of the individual pieces alone?

    Thoughts? Even open to criticisms!
    apudabam likes this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,303

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    I don't think anyone will criticize you for either choice. Full disclosure--I've owned the blue dialed Overseas for almost three years now, and I've not seen the GP in the metal. Having said that, I'd make the following comments:

    1. Certainly part of the price differential is due to the VC pedigree. Personally that wasn't a factor for me; the ones further down on the list were.

    2. The bracelet on the VC is simply wonderful--comfortable, secure, incredible details in the finishing, a terrific hidden micro-adjustment that requires no tools, and the ability (also without tools) to switch to the included leather and rubber straps. I've used the rubber on occasion, but mostly keep it on the bracelet because it's such a good one.

    3. Although I haven't seen this particular GP, I've seen others, and the finishing is quite good...but IMO not as good as VC.

    4. The ability to swap between bracelet, rubber and leather makes the Overseas very versatile indeed.

    5. Don't know if you're considering the blue dial or others, but the blue dial (again IMO) is spectacular.

    6. The VC also has good magnetic resistance--don't know if the GP has that or not.

    Downsides to the Overseas? Well, it's a lot more expensive, obviously, and also the movement doesn't hack, if that would bother you.

    The other comment I'd make about the GP is that, to me, it's style is rather derivative of the APRO rather than following its own path.

    Again, though, I don't think anyone here would fault either choice, especially when price is considered. Although...in the past I have made a price-conscious decision, then regretted it, saved up some more and got what I really wanted. Just saying...
    TJMike likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    101

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    My vote is for VC overseas. The bracelet is a piece of art

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ATL Metro
    Posts
    2,808

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    I don't own either piece, so please take my thoughts for what they're worth. In my view, if the two watches are 100% equivalent to you, then it makes little sense to buy the more expensive item. You said in your post that you prefer the simplicity of the GP bracelet and that the movements and cases seem to be on par with each other. Well...in my worldview, it sounds like the GP is the sensible choice. It's a different story altogether if there's anything that's actually pulling you toward the VC, whether it's prestige/cachet, bracelet craftsmanship, ridiculous blue dial, or anything else. In that circumstance, you'd have to determine (for yourself) if the thing(s) pulling you toward the VC is/are worth the premium.

    Like mlcor, whose blue Overseas is absolutely gorgeous, I'm bothered by the copy-cat vibe given off by the GP. It's just too on the nose for me. I realize that you didn't ask for alternatives, but I'm strongly considering the GO Seventies Panorama Date as a much more original alternative to VCO/RO/Nautilus that would give me 95-98% of the "bang" for 25-45% of the "buck." And it hacks.
    Tohono Rat likes this.

  6. #5
    Member arcadelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,176

    GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    I own the 225th Anniversary Limited Edition Laureato (41mm vs 42mm of current reference). It is a watch I waited years to buy so I could ensure value for money (GPs depreciate terribly). I've not seen the Overseas in the metal, but obviously looked at many pictures. It is a nice watch two, but like the Royal Oak and Nautilus, I'm sure it might be worth a premium over the Laureato, but not multiples of the price. Therefore, if you like the Laureato, and can get it lightly used to avoid the worst of the depreciation, then that is the one I would buy. In fact, I recall there is one for sale on the Rolex Forums right now (not mine and I don’t know the seller at all)



    Oh, and to counter the common comments that its design is derivative, the Laureato has a long history over five generations, only surpassed by the RO amongst all the luxury sports watches, and while it too has a hexagonal bezel, the design of the two watches are very different.

    Photo credit: @crown comfort on WatchProSite

    Last edited by arcadelt; September 1st, 2019 at 00:39.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I don't think anyone will criticize you for either choice. Full disclosure--I've owned the blue dialed Overseas for almost three years now, and I've not seen the GP in the metal. Having said that, I'd make the following comments:

    1. Certainly part of the price differential is due to the VC pedigree. Personally that wasn't a factor for me; the ones further down on the list were.

    2. The bracelet on the VC is simply wonderful--comfortable, secure, incredible details in the finishing, a terrific hidden micro-adjustment that requires no tools, and the ability (also without tools) to switch to the included leather and rubber straps. I've used the rubber on occasion, but mostly keep it on the bracelet because it's such a good one.

    3. Although I haven't seen this particular GP, I've seen others, and the finishing is quite good...but IMO not as good as VC.

    4. The ability to swap between bracelet, rubber and leather makes the Overseas very versatile indeed.

    5. Don't know if you're considering the blue dial or others, but the blue dial (again IMO) is spectacular.

    6. The VC also has good magnetic resistance--don't know if the GP has that or not.

    Downsides to the Overseas? Well, it's a lot more expensive, obviously, and also the movement doesn't hack, if that would bother you.

    The other comment I'd make about the GP is that, to me, it's style is rather derivative of the APRO rather than following its own path.

    Again, though, I don't think anyone here would fault either choice, especially when price is considered. Although...in the past I have made a price-conscious decision, then regretted it, saved up some more and got what I really wanted. Just saying...
    Basically what he said. The GP is very nice; a lovely watch. But the Overseas is simply better in every aspect. If money is not an issue, get the Overseas.

    One additional piece of information; the Overseas (particularly the blue and black dials) are selling close to MSRP on the gray market. There has been an upward trajectory this year.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    189

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by R_rated View Post
    My collection is missing a nice, simple, stainless, bracelet watch. A few years ago I purchased a Bathyscape in lieu of a Sub. Funny that at the time my AD had several option in the case and even offered a discount... boy have things changed in 3 years!

    I feel like I could make the Laureato happen now and it has the heritage and quality of the Overseas... I also prefer the simplicity of the GP bracelet although there's no denying the superior craftsmanship of the overseas bracelet. The movements and case seem to be on par with little specification on paper to justify the 3x price of the Overseas. Does anyone else have either of these? I'm a modest "collector" that doesn't buy with the priority of resale or trends (Obviously, I vent BP > Rolex...) but that doesn't mean I want to knowingly take a bath on something that's not worth anything on the secondary market either. Everything I have gets enjoyed so its not like I have a bunch of perfect pieces.

    Trading $$$ and brand aside - any thoughts on how these stack up on the merits of just the quality of the individual pieces alone?

    Thoughts? Even open to criticisms!
    When I was really searching for a a nice SS sports watch with comfortable bracelet I looked at the Polo S, the GP, and the VC overseas (Also tried the three hander Hublot but that was titanium).


    All in blue, but to be honest all left me underwhelmed.


    I really wanted to like the The Polo S but it felt light and cheap, but it is significantly less expensive. You may buy one to tide you over until you make a final decision perhaps, because it really is a nice watch in theory. But it felt like a cheap thrill sadly.


    The 42mm GP felt big on the wrist. The only options are 38mm and 42 mm. The 38 is a bit too small for me and the 42 wears larger I feel. Also - and as other have mentioned- you may be concerned that it has history without gravitas, i.e. although it is oldest after AP RO, it's a straight copy. Even GP themselves are unable to identify who designed the watch!


    That is unlike VC overseas who name a certain Jorg Hysek as the designer of the predecessor. Along with the history of the 222 this lends some credibility to their design which although universally not loved is certainly unique. The finishing was also far superior to the GP. Unfortunately it doesn't have the angles that please, like for example, the AP RO or Nautilus, which although I find too expensive and "overhyped", are truly icons.


    The thought of the quintessential SS sports watch may be simple, but the execution is far from it.


    Very much looking forward to your decision.

  9. #8
    Member alessandro132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GMT +10
    Posts
    180

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    Are you looking at buying new or pre-owned? The latest gen Overseas is quite pricey however the second gen (especially 3 hander) can be had at a relatively cheaper price. I own a blue dial 3 hander Laureato and really like it from overall fit and finish to comfort on the wrist. Worth seeing them both in the metal though, only true way you can determine what's best for you.


    Collection

    Girard Perregeaux Laureato 81010
    Rolex Submariner 16803

    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Longines Saint Imier Chronograph
    Longines Hydroconquest 742.4 (L888)

    Affordables

    Citizen World Time Radio Controlled CB0020-50E

    Citizen Automatic day-date
    Seiko Solar Chronograph Spirit (JDM model)
    Orient Bambino

    Retired
    Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50


  10. #9
    Member arcadelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,176

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by apudabam View Post
    The only options are 38mm and 42 mm. The 38 is a bit too small for me and the 42 wears larger I feel.
    There is a 41mm, which is more refined in all aspects when compared to the 42mm

    Quote Originally Posted by apudabam View Post
    Even GP themselves are unable to identify who designed the watch!
    There is a difference between not knowing and being reticent to say. As I understand it, the designer was a Milanese architect who they (or he/she) are unwilling the reveal the identity of.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    189

    Re: GP Laureato vs VC Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    There is a 41mm, which is more refined in all aspects when compared to the 42mm
    Thanks for that.

    41mm was new in 2016 I believe... The current models I could find were only 38mm or the 42 mm. I also think there is a limited edition in 41mm.

    Overall I am unsure of the availability of the 41mm models, but it is probably difficult to obtain new from AD at least where I am.


    Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    There is a difference between not knowing and being reticent to say. As I understand it, the designer was a Milanese architect who they (or he/she) are unwilling the reveal the identity of.
    Yes, GP refuses to confirm the identity.

    I think this lovely forum isn't the right place to ignite a homage/copy/refinement debate. But Laureato was a very very close copy of a very radically designed Royal Oak... Nothing against that, personally. But OP may not be interested given the above.

    Thanks again for the comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •