Grand Date + Alarm - What Are The Options?

Thread: Grand Date + Alarm - What Are The Options?

In the pursuit of happiness I thought I would try to narrow things down by my 2 most desired complications - Grande Date and Alarm. Pieces that I love for each reason:

-JLC Master compressor Memovox or Extreme Alarm - love the style, maybe a bit less polished surfaces but...no big date
    -GO Senator Observer - great big date, no alarm, might like a slight bit more sport
    -Zenith Doublematic or Multicity Alarm (really like the blue black but don't need the travel time or the clutter it adds to the dial - and can't find reviews or any for sale)

As I made this list I realized that perhaps the GO Senator Diary is what I am looking for but it is over bit over budget and the dial is a bit 'less' than I would prefer.

If I could add a big date to the JLC MC Memovox and put it in a 44mm case (I have just over 8" wrist, think less than this is not in scope), its pretty close to right on.

So, any options? I appreciate any ideas!
    Last edited by Trizzane; September 7th, 2019 at 01:23.

Re: Grand Date + Alarm - What Are The Options?

Mechanical Alarms are quite a rare complication. I find that the GO Diary has by far the best SOUND of the ones you mention, especially in gold. I would save up for one.

There is only one other Alarm in your price range I can think of. Not exactly as high end as the others, and certainly quirky, is the Alexander Shorokhoff alarm that also is a desk clock lol.

Name:  AS.PT22_-groß-1024x923-1024x923.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  105.4 KB
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venturer Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysse Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut, Citizen Eco Drive One AR5030-59L

Re: Grand Date + Alarm - What Are The Options?

Given your requirements, I look forward to seeing if anyone comes up with other suggestions. The number of watches that will combine the two complications you desire will be extremely small. In the end, the GO Senator Diary may be your best choice. GO does the big date wonderfully (and better than many at a higher price point IMHO). Although I agree about the dial of that particular model being less pleasing than some of their other designs, in-person, it may work better than in pics. Have you handled one? I would encourage you to get your hands on the GO if you can manage it. It may just convince you that it is, indeed, worth the extra money. I look forward to seeing if there are other suggestions and learning of your search. Best of luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, those 2 complications together are quite difficult to find! So, let’s break down the 2 complications.

For alarm watches alone, it’s easy, every manufacture has an alarm watch pretty much. From GP to Ulysse Nardin, to Vulcain, JLC, Blancpain and Breguet, even Panerai, you can find it at any price point.

For Big dates, you have a ton of choice too, but for the best execution, you can hardly beat GP, with a seamless Big date. GO makes a very nice one too as noted in your choices, and the GO diary might be your best bet. However, May I suggest looking into the GO Seventies chronograph? It doesn’t have an alarm, but it’s a stunning watch that can serve all purpose, and is big enough for most wrists (including 8”).

My favorite big date is the Linde Werdelin Oktopus. I have the carbon version and love it.

Good luck in your search, this is not an easy one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

When looking at alarms you have to take a glance at Vulcain. I don’t think they have an actual big date in their lineup, but their regular dates are often pretty large.

Also, you have to take into account the sound of the alarm. A lot of old alarms like the countless A Schild based watches from companies like Montblanc, Girard Perregaux, Schwartz Etienne, Maurice Lacroix, Eterna, etc. are basically loud buzzers. Same goes for vintage JLC Memovoxes or IWC GST alarms. More recent upgraded alarms like the new Memovox, GO and Zenith Doublematic are more of a chime, a bit more like a constant minute repeater ring. They sound better but are not as loud. Also the alarm mechanism tends not to be visible on the modular designs. It’s pretty neat to watch the hammer vibrate.

I think the Vulcain alarms are interesting because they’re somewhat in between. They buzz and ring loudly. Not all models sound the same. Manual wind and titanium case models seem less audible than the automatics or those in steel. In any case, they’re worth considering.

Thread Information