Help me formulate collection

Poll: Next piece in collection?

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help me formulate collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me formulate collection

My Geophysic True second on black alligator strap is my "dressy" watch and despite conventional hatred for the piece, I love it....it's my affordable and better proportioned (thicker) version of a Calatrava.
    Dark suits are covered.

Name:  IMG_5209 - Copy.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  238.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5210 - Copy.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  245.8 KB

In my mind, eventually I'll also need

1) A piece for less formal suits and blazers
    2) Chronograph
    3) Steel sports watch

So next I was pivoting to lighter dress suits that are typically accompanied by brown leather....in my mind, it would be a casual piece like a used FP Souverain or a higher end sports watch that can pull that duty like a Royal Oak. I switch between formality more often than by season, so changing bands on the Geophysic wouldn't be practical.

If you think that FP and Steel sports watches are too hard to find and insanely priced now, maybe something like a used Duometre to cover chronos?

So if you had about $20k to spend on the next piece, what's the best move rounding out a collection?

Re: Help me formulate collection

In my view, you should forget all about having to have specific complications and looking only at what’s in and around the budget you’ve set yourself.
    In other words, go for what grabs you the most, even if it’s another time/date only piece.

By way of an example… you could kill two birds with one stone by considering the likes of either a pre-owned 2nd Gen Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph (49150) or Girard-Perregaux Laureato Chronograph.
    As for something to cover the smart casual occasions, you might think about the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo.
    If you wanted to keep the SS sport watch simpler, and presuming Rolex is just too common to cut it, then the 47140 VC Overseas may fit the bill, as too could the Moser & Cie “Diver”.

Being honest, I’m struggling to fathom the difference between what you want now, versus #1 in your “also to get” list.
    So… let’s just say you should also be looking at regular Mosers, Glashutte Original, Chopard L.U.C.s, and if lesser known independents don’t scare you away, then Moritz Grossmann.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    In my view, you should forget all about having to have specific complications and looking only at what’s in and around the budget you’ve set yourself.
    In other words, go for what grabs you the most, even if it’s another time/date only piece.

By way of an example… you could kill two birds with one stone by considering the likes of either a pre-owned 2nd Gen Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph (49150) or Girard-Perregaux Laureato Chronograph.
    As for something to cover the smart casual occasions, you might think about the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo.
    If you wanted to keep the SS sport watch simpler, and presuming Rolex is just too common to cut it, then the 47140 VC Overseas may fit the bill, as too could the Moser & Cie “Diver”.

Being honest, I’m struggling to fathom the difference between what you want now, versus #1 in your “also to get” list.
    So… let’s just say you should also be looking at regular Mosers, Glashutte Original, Chopard L.U.C.s, and if lesser known independents don’t scare you away, then Moritz Grossmann.
    Thanks for the feedback!

The reason why I'm trying to get the different food groups so to speak is so that I can have a watch on my wrist (that I love) in any atmosphere. The JLC is wholly incompatible with a light blue suit or BBQ dinner plans at a friends house.

I did take a hard look at the Overseas but when I handled one, I simply did not like the shape / taper of the case. I have not come in contact with the GP but will try to do so!

Rolex makes such great watches but I simply cannot bring myself to buy one 1) because they are very popular and I prefer to be under the radar a bit (yes, I know the AP is borderline) 2) I cannot see the movement. A hard case back is a deal breaker because viewing the movement is so important to me. I hardly like the Duometre's dial but would buy it to put it on my desk and look at the engineering feat inside.

GO panomatic is something I have considered but once again, I have never handled one so it's hard to buy one "sight unseen".

I think that the overall message is to get out more and try some other brands and I'll take that advice for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not knowing your wrist size preference, what about a Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chrono or, for "prettier", a Breguet XX-XXI for steel sport chrono?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
    Not knowing your wrist size preference, what about a Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chrono or, for "prettier", a Breguet XX-XXI for steel sport chrono?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!
    Those look like fine watches but they don't quite cover either base of accompanying a light suit or a technically impressive chrono movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_MD View Post
    Those look like fine watches but they don't quite cover either base of accompanying a light suit or a technically impressive chrono movement.
    While I can't comment on the fashion end of things, the Blancpain's F385 movement is one of the best (tool) chronograph movements out there.

I would be adding a Royal Oak chronograph (ROC). It meets your requirements of a steel chronograph sports watch that can be worn with less formal suits and blazers.
    You may need to hunt and save some more but that would be an amazing combo with your JLC!
    Last edited by Reeser1; 3 Weeks Ago at 19:53.

I second the VC overseas. But not the chrono, such a well rounded watch and comes with bracelet and leather

Quote Originally Posted by Reeser1 View Post
    I would be adding a Royal Oak chronograph (ROC). It meets your requirements of a steel chronograph sports watch that can be worn with less formal suits and blazers.
    You may need to hunt and save some more but that would be an amazing combo with your JLC!
    ROC are now less expensive than a plain three hand 15500, which is insane.

Love the JLC! I would go with the RO. Classic iconic Génta design with an awesome bracelet. I’m hoping to add one to my collection someday.

Rolex 116523
    Rolex 116610LV
    Rolex 116621 Chocolate dial
    Audemars Piguet ROO Diver
    Audemars Piguet ROO Safari
    JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm
    Hublot Big Bang Evolution, Red Gold Black Ceramic
    Breitling Chronomat B01
    PAM 1499
    Omega Constellation 1967
    Titan Automatic
    G Shock