Help me with my first high end piece
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Help me with my first high end piece

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hello,

I am looking for a high end piece to complete my collection. I have been thinking about a ceramic Daytona white dial or a Patek. I want the piece to be wearable and practical for everyday use. What would you suggest as my next piece? Looking to spend to up 30K USD.

My current collection consists of:
    1) Speedmaster (chronograph)
    2) Rolex Explorer 1 (understated, simple watch)
    3) Rolex Submariner date black (Diver)
    4) Rolex GMT Batman (GMT)

Attached is a pic showing what the current collection looks like. What would you add to make this collection complete? Thank you.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.52.24 PM.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  283.6 KB
    chin9_ie likes this.

Re: Help me with my first high end piece

Hi there.

First off, you have enough Rolex. All of your watches are on a bracelet.
    Second, even if you wanted a Ceramic Daytona or a Nautilus, good luck.

So, it's time for something different. Paket and Vacheron are great places for you to look if you want a Swiss trinity piece. If you want something on that level that isn't Swiss (and arguably provides a better value for your money), look at A Lange & Sohne. If you want to go for something independent, have a look at H Moser & Cie and FP Journe.

Honestly, I'd happily provide you with specific feedback, but your current collection is pretty specific. So without knowing more specifics about what you like, I feel like it'd be a waste.

What are you thinking about?

Edit: Who says "specific" three times in two sentences. FFS Dave...
    Last edited by UberDave; February 23rd, 2019 at 03:38.
    spidaman likes this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

A Daytona would fit in with what you have - if that's your goal. I.e. a collection of sports watches on bracelets.

But all your current watches are way too similar IMO. And I wouldn't consider the Daytona high-end anyway.

What do you like about high end watches? Do you really want another sports watch? How much do you care about the movement? How much do you care about the movement finishing? What about complications? There are lots of brands that could be at play depending on your preferences.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by calvincc View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for a high end piece to complete my collection. I have been thinking about a ceramic Daytona white dial or a Patek. I want the piece to be wearable and practical for everyday use. What would you suggest as my next piece? Looking to spend to up 30K USD.

My current collection consists of:
    1) Speedmaster (chronograph)
    2) Rolex Explorer 1 (understated, simple watch)
    3) Rolex Submariner date black (Diver)
    4) Rolex GMT Batman (GMT)

Attached is a pic showing what the current collection looks like. What would you add to make this collection complete? Thank you.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.52.24 PM.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  283.6 KB
    Well, I'd say that those are really mid-level working guys watches. I know because I wore a Sea Dweller for a work watch. If you mean 'high end' as in price range, I'd say for artsy fartsy, I'd look at Breguet, Vacheron, or Patek. I don't like AP personally, but that's the stuff I'd look at if you want to fork over some serious cash for some kind of cool but delicate piece.

As others have said I would look to mix things up a bit. I obviously know nothing about you or your tastes , but if it were me with 30k to spend I would get more than one piece. Mainly because I don’t necessarily like a PP or ALS that much, plus I think the value you can get pre-owned (non Rolex) in the 15-20k range is exceptional . And, because 2 is better than 1. I would look for a dress watch (JLC MUT perpetual calendar) and something different like a blue dial VC overseas.
    elbhombre likes this.

If that were my collection and I wanted a new addition, I'd be diversifying with something dressier on a leather strap. Breguet and JLC are two of my favorite brands, and either of those makers have plenty to choose from.
    oztech likes this.

You apparently have a strong proclivity to black dial sports watches. If you want to be consistent but different I'd think an APRO chrono or VC Overseas chrono would be a nice addition, white dialed of course.

My tastes run to dress or sport-dress, on strap. Gonna offer up a few different, somewhat offbeat suggestions. One thing I note: all black dials. So I'll throw in a bit of color.

Parmigiani's meteorite dials: first is in white gold, second is rose gold.

https://www.parmigiani.com/en/watch/...3000600-HA3141

https://www.parmigiani.com/en/watch/...1000600-HA3141

Piaget Altiplano, or possibly a Polo S in lieu of the Nautilus.

ALS Saxonia Copper Blue. Alternately, any Saxonia; 1815 Up/Down? Might be too much.
    schrop likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I am looking for a dressier watch that’s not too delicate and can be worn daily.
    I want a Patek but not sure which one? Workdtime? Annual calendar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a sporty Patek at that price, I think you have to go with the Aquanaut, black dial if you wish.

google likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information