Help with a sports watch for an unsporting wrist
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Help with a sports watch for an unsporting wrist

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help with a sports watch for an unsporting wrist

Hello to the high end watchuseek forum! I have consulted a chart that tracks life events against responsibilities shouldered and it turns out that I am eligible to spend a lot of money on a watch for myself. I have decided that a high end sports watch is definitely the last material object I will need before attaining eternal peace of mind. Well, that a dress watch at some point.
    I spend most of my time behind a desk but occasionally do some mildly physical engineering stuff. I will not be competing in any triathlons, spelunking or recovering artefacts from shipwrecks but as my wife likes to remind me, I can be a little heavy handed.
    Where I am, there aren't many options to try on various brands, there are Rolex, Omega and Tag dealers and thats about it. I get a few chances per year to get to a decent sized city but would have limited time and options to try on various models when there. I have a 7" wrist that is almost as high as it is wide, slightly comical sounding but I assure you it looks relatively normal. However it can make watch buying a bit of a challenge
    The Daytona seems to fit me perfectly as do most of the Tags that are 39-40mm. I had the luck to try on a Nautilus Chronograph and whilst I love the design, it just looked too big on my wrist.

So, story time over, here are the options I am looking at:
    Nautilus - Do the non-chronograph models fit smaller at all? Is there a model thats a little older with a smaller dial but not so old that servicing becomes costly/inconvenient?
    Royal Oak - 15450 or 15300? (if I can find a 15300). It doesn't seem to be too easy to find dealers that have either of these models to try on. I seem to hear differing views on durability, are they just not suitable to be used day in day out?
    Breguet Marine - From what people say this seems reasonably durable as a daily watch and I rather like that the brand isn't generally recognised. The dial size is fine but the lugs look like they extend out quite far, can someone give me a Tag or Rolex that is similar in fit?
    VC Overseas - Great design but I fear it is too big. This may also sound a bit silly but after my wife mistook the Maltese Cross for an iron cross, I did a bit of wikipedia-ing. Is VC strongly tied to the German army? I only ask because I work for a German company and... jut trying to avoid any awkward conversations.
    Daytona - Its a classic but ideally I would like something a little less obvious

Any feedback that means I don't have to find children's vacation activities near watch dealers would be appreciated

Re: Help with a sports watch for an unsporting wrist

Hello and welcome to WUS. Not sure on how high end you are looking for but when I read your post this came to mind.
    Omega speedmaster automatic 323.30.40.40.04.001. 40mm. Panda dial.
    Name:  51JQJWkNxVL.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  32.8 KB
    IG~ @whisky_sith

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchtimeonmyhands View Post
    Hello to the high end watchuseek forum! I have consulted a chart that tracks life events against responsibilities shouldered and it turns out that I am eligible to spend a lot of money on a watch for myself. I have decided that a high end sports watch is definitely the last material object I will need before attaining eternal peace of mind. Well, that a dress watch at some point.
    I spend most of my time behind a desk but occasionally do some mildly physical engineering stuff. I will not be competing in any triathlons, spelunking or recovering artefacts from shipwrecks but as my wife likes to remind me, I can be a little heavy handed.
    Where I am, there aren't many options to try on various brands, there are Rolex, Omega and Tag dealers and thats about it. I get a few chances per year to get to a decent sized city but would have limited time and options to try on various models when there. I have a 7" wrist that is almost as high as it is wide, slightly comical sounding but I assure you it looks relatively normal. However it can make watch buying a bit of a challenge
    The Daytona seems to fit me perfectly as do most of the Tags that are 39-40mm. I had the luck to try on a Nautilus Chronograph and whilst I love the design, it just looked too big on my wrist.

Nautilus - Do the non-chronograph models fit smaller at all? Is there a model thats a little older with a smaller dial but not so old that servicing becomes costly/inconvenient?
    Royal Oak - 15450 or 15300? (if I can find a 15300). It doesn't seem to be too easy to find dealers that have either of these models to try on. I seem to hear differing views on durability, are they just not suitable to be used day in day out?
    Breguet Marine - From what people say this seems reasonably durable as a daily watch and I rather like that the brand isn't generally recognised. The dial size is fine but the lugs look like they extend out quite far, can someone give me a Tag or Rolex that is similar in fit?
    VC Overseas - Great design but I fear it is too big. This may also sound a bit silly but after my wife mistook the Maltese Cross for an iron cross, I did a bit of wikipedia-ing. Is VC strongly tied to the German army? I only ask because I work for a German company and... jut trying to avoid any awkward conversations.
    Daytona - Its a classic but ideally I would like something a little less obvious

Any feedback that means I don't have to find children's vacation activities near watch dealers would be appreciated
    No! lol
    The Maltese cross has a much longer history then the iron cross used by the germans. The maltese cross was simply borrowed by them (along with countless other companies and organizations). Just last week I noticed my local ambulance service using the maltese cross in its design.Maltese cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I assure you that you are safe, and anyone who would try to convince you that the Germans had anything to do with the origins of the cross is someone who needs to do a little more reading.

BTW there are other (smaller) models of the Nautilus.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I feel your pain, OP. Most sports watches are too on my wrist. SubC is where I landed and it's good enough for me. Seems weird that Rolex is conservative, yet AP, VC and other high-end brands are sized more 'modern'.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Nautilus: try the 5711
    Royal Oak: how about used? 15202 or 15300 would be good.
    Breguet Marine: Yes the lugs are very long.
    VC Overseas: well if you don't like the way logo looks, you should just avoid it. It's about aesthetics after all.
    Daytona: it's such a classic that it's almost a cliche. I would still like to own one down the road but since you're trying to be a bit different, I would say either 5711 or 15202 would work well.
    newb watch collector/high-end watch admirer

To give you some idea of the size of some of these watches, below are some photos on my wrist (which is below 7 inches - although I've never measured properly). You can use the Rolex as a base. I have tried the VC Overseas and found it too big for me. And the Breguet lugs do extend far, although the standard Marine I think is smaller than the dual time on my wrist. For what's its worth, I ended up with the 15300. You won't be able to find a new model so the 15202 is a good option if looking to buy new.

Hope it helps.

Name:  IMG_0707.JPG
Views: 1410
Size:  75.3 KB
    Name:  15300.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  118.3 KB
    Name:  AP15202.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  108.7 KB
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1298
Size:  100.7 KB
    Name:  Rolex.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  102.9 KB

I would recommend the Patek Aquanuat. It is very slim for a sports watch (it wears more discretely than the Royal Oak - I have both).
    drhr likes this.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback, all very helpful, particularly omjlc for the pics. A Speedmaster is a classic but doesn't do much for me for whatever reason. The Aquanaut, I am such a fan of the Nautilus that it would be a bit like 'The one that got away'

So it seems these are the ones I'll track down to try:
    5711 - I'll put it back on the list, maybe the half mm smaller case will fit differently than the 5980
    15202 - Great suggestion to try at a dealer, it should give me a reasonable idea of what a 15300 should fit like. The 15202 seems a bit delicate to be used as a daily beater, I guess when I see it I can make a better decision
    Marine - I'm dubious it'll fit but I'll check it out to be sure.
    Daytona - If i end up with one I'll have to think 'Newman' and not 'Bieber'

...I had the luck to try on a Nautilus Chronograph and whilst I love the design, it just looked too big on my wrist.

1. Nautilus - Do the non-chronograph models fit smaller at all? Is there a model thats a little older with a smaller dial but not so old that servicing becomes costly/inconvenient?
    2. Royal Oak - 15450 or 15300? (if I can find a 15300). It doesn't seem to be too easy to find dealers that have either of these models to try on. I seem to hear differing views on durability, are they just not suitable to be used day in day out?

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback, all very helpful, particularly omjlc for the pics. A Speedmaster is a classic but doesn't do much for me for whatever reason. The Aquanaut, I am such a fan of the Nautilus that it would be a bit like 'The one that got away'

So it seems these are the ones I'll track down to try:

• 5711 - I'll put it back on the list, maybe the half mm smaller case will fit differently than the 5980
    • 15202 - Great suggestion to try at a dealer, it should give me a reasonable idea of what a 15300 should fit like. The 15202 seems a bit delicate to be used as a daily beater, I guess when I see it I can make a better decision
    • Marine - I'm dubious it'll fit but I'll check it out to be sure.
    • Daytona - If i end up with one I'll have to think 'Newman' and not 'Bieber'
    To start, and FWIW, I can only say that when it comes to fit, nobody has ever been able to tell me that a "normally" sized watch will fit me well or not. Stuff on the extremes of size, yes, but within 34mm to 42mm, I've only ever been able to judge by trying it on. Given your description of your wrist -- square/circular -- I know nothing I can say is going to be useful to you. My wrist isn't built like that at all; not even close.

• Nautilus: PP made the thing in several different sizes. Here are just a few, but I'm not 100% sure the sizes remained consistent from year to year. As you can imagine, you'll just have to try them on if you are committed to a Nautilus and not an Aquanaut. As GETS suggested, I'd have said give the Aquanaut a shot too on the basis that if the Nautilus is just too big feeling, I wouldn't think it "one that got away" seeing as I wouldn't have it in the first place since it's too big. My 2¢.

As for servicing a PP, for a basic model, you shouldn't have any trouble
      • 3800 = 36m (uncomplicated)
      • 5800 = 38mm (uncomplicated)
      • 5711 = 40mm (uncomplicated)
      • 5712 = 40 mm (complicated)
      • 5726 = 40.5mm (complicated)
      • 5980 = 44mm (complicated)

• Royal Oak: Odds are a RO will be fine for your relatively typical use. It has some shiny bits on it and they will show minor scratches easily, but it also has a lot of brushed metal that will take some real doing to show wear at all. Everyone has their "moments" when something happens to their watch. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's a bit much to think a daily wear watch is going to never get a mark. That said, unless you gouge the thing, the tiny hairline scratches can be buffed out by any jeweler. On the other hand, if you are keen to make a habit of dragging your watch across sharp or abrasive materials, you should probably avoid anything but a Rolex. Not because it won't scratch, but because as something of a "tool" watch, it won't look so bad with the marks.
    • Marine: The lugs are longish. It doesn't bother me at all as I wear it loose and on a bracelet. Not super lose so that it'll slide around to the sides of my wrist, but lose enough to fit a finger easily under the bracelet.
    • Daytona: As a collectible object, a "Newman" Daytona is best all the other watches you are considering. It'll have the durability and "devil may care" styling and construction that obviates the need to be concerned about rough use. It'll also be super easy to keep serviced. The biggest problems with one are the price -- $200K+ -- and finding one.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

You have pretty good choices on that list.

1. The 5980 is a lot thicker than the 5711 which could add to why it seems really big. Personally, I would go for a 5711. Its timeless, simple and i doubt you will ever make use of the chronograph. The 5711 is one of my most liked Patek pieces.
    2. The RO 15300 is unfortunately a favorite that has been discontinued. I think AP really killed it by going 41mm and 39 was just right. Which leaves many to go to the 15202. Great, understated, historic! My only issue with the RO is with the way the case sits on the wrist. The base is quite extended which does not curve well with my thin wrists. The RO is an almost absolute "must try on first" piece as it fits every wrist differently.
    3. The Marine was a piece I considered over and over again however, the long lugs and the 39mm case is not the best balance in my humble opinion and again...it is unfortunate that my wrist size just doesnt accept it. That said, it is very discrete yet very Breguet. The hands, dial and rotor are splendid and this is one of the bang for the buck pieces out there. Easily serviceable in the future as well and prob won't cost you more than $800 to service.
    4. Daytona's are the safest way to go. It will last a beating down the road like no other. The only thing with this is keeping in ind that is easily recognizable. The value down the road will be safe and nothing is easier to take care of than a Rolex.

If in the US, PM and i could prob help out with an AD if you want.
    shnjb likes this.
    Regards,
    AK93 (@thejourneguy)

I make my watches as if there was no other way to tell time.
    -François-Paul Journe

The Greatest Watchmaker Alive:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information